Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:48   #321
DaninTexas

The day I got my CHL and strapped my G19 on my hip was the day I stopped drinking. Not even a single beer.
DaninTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12   #322
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Just wow.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:12   #323
bmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
Not one drop since 1978. To me the most useless and distructive thing a man can do for himself or family.
I can think of a lot more destructive things a man can do than have a few drinks. Actually I can probably come up with about 7,657 more destructive things. There are some weirdos on this forum, more than when I joined in 2006 for sure.

Last edited by bmoore; 05-07-2013 at 10:13..
bmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14   #324
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoore View Post
I can think of a lot more destructive things a man can do than have a few drinks. Actually I can probably come up with about 7,657 more destructive things. There are some weirdos on this forum, more than when I joined in 2006 for sure.
No doubt, including the "ah carry a guhn, sos ah cahn't drink" bunch.
For the last time
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44   #325
scottydl

Quote:
I can think of a lot more destructive things a man can do than have a few drinks. Actually I can probably come up with about 7,657 more destructive things.
And I'd bet that at least 7,656 of those destructive things are done (or much more likely to be done anyway) while under the influence of alcohol. Hence the connection.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49   #326
matt86
Oink Oink

Send a message via AIM to matt86
I don't drink for a number of reasons but #1 has to be that I'm always carrying a gun. I'll go with my friends when they drink but just settle for a good ol' diet coke.
Old 05-07-2013, 14:21   #327
high.caliber

I stopped drinking in May of 2009 so that I could regain control of my life.
In a much better place now with a loving family and lots of guns.
high.caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 18:59   #328
2garfields

I don't drink, never like the taste of it.
2garfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 20:29   #329
sombunya
I am the Walrus

While I'm not officially a non-drinker I'll go months and months without a single beer.

However, nothing tastes better than a good beer with barbecue. Last time I drank more than two in a row must be at least 15 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 23:35   #330
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
I can think of a lot more destructive things a man can do than have a few drinks. Actually I can probably come up with about 7,657 more destructive things. ..........
Care to spill? I need suggestions!

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:03   #331
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

I quit 19 years ago. 19 years ago today in fact.

I'm sure if someone told me that was going to happen, say 20 years ago, I would have told them they were nuts. And everyone who knew me then would have said the same.

I feel very fortunate in that I was able to do it with no regrets or temptation to begin drinking again. And I am also perfectly comfortable at bars, parties, etc. mingling with folks who drink. Most folks who drink aren't drunks, just some of us have that particular problem. And even when I run into drunks in such environs, I already speak fluent drunk, so we get along great! LOL

For those who think they might have a problem with alcohol, I'll just say that if I could quit, you may be able to as well. I will say that for about the first 6 months after I quit--while it is true I had absolutely no desire to drink again--I did have moments, sometimes hours, when I sort of mourned (perhaps too strong a word) the passing of some of the personal relationships that did indeed change after having quit.

In any case, my life improved a thousandfold, once I sobered up. YMMV

P.S. If anyone reading this thinks they may need help, by all means seek it. All people have their own personal weaknesses, there is no shame in recognizing one's own, and asking for help, if help is needed.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:35   #332
jasonvp
Lifetime Membership
Kantre Member

Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
What I am, is interested. I feed on data.
I often wonder if you put some of your threads up as reading comprehension tests as well.

jas
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05   #333
Riverkilt

Congratulations Fred!

The one thing I really like about not drinking is that no one has taken anything away from me or said I can't drink if I want to. Its all still there waiting for me any time I want it. But "I" choose not to put the poison alcohol into my body anymore no matter what its mixed with. Its still alcohol and its still probably gonna kick my butt hard again if I ingest it...so I don't...and life is good sober.

Glock 42...somewhere you can't see
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46   #334
JMS

I drink a few times a month, usually just a beer or two with dinner or a few shots of Patron on Friday night with dinner if it's been a hectic week.

My grandfather had a liquor store so alcohol was always around the house, but the majority of it was for entertaining when others came over, if I wanted to try it it was right there, but because it wasn't taboo, it had no appeal to me.

My parents had a drink or two on occassion and alcohol was never an 'issue.' In high school, if I went to a party where alcohol was served I either drank or didn't, never felt any pressure. Even to this day, there are plenty of events/parties/dinners we could do where alcohol is served, if I feel like having a few I do, if I don't I won't. Nice and simple.

Seems that the majority of posters that are completely against it had bad experiences with it, either on their own or via their parents.

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:27   #335
berto62

The Okie Corral
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56   #336
scottydl

Happiness is fleeting and temporary. Live a life dedicated solely to the pursuit of happiness and you will likely be disappointed in the long run.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:28   #337
Riverkilt

Hopefully, the sex and alcohol are done separately. The effects of alcohol on sexuality are well documented and it ain't good. Sober sex is fantastic and probably one of the reasons some folks (who me?) maintain sobriety.

In the short run alcohol gets the muscles a man needs to do the job drunk and it "dries out" the lady making the deed difficult.

In the long run alcohol kills testosterone in men and kills estrogen in women. Go to an AA meeting and you'll see older women that look like truck drivers from their years of boozing. The guys look soft and many have developed breasts. Have seen old hard core boozers who've grown breasts like a woman from lack of testosterone.

Booze sure does pretty up the other party though...well, temporarily makes them look real good....

Glock 42...somewhere you can't see
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27   #338
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I've had some pretty fantastic sex either way, so..... Eh.
For the last time
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31   #339
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I've had some pretty fantastic sex either way, so..... Eh.
I've heard people say they had the best sex when drunk and/or stoned.

I've often wondered if this comes from the same mentality that someone that's stumbling, falling-down drunk says "No, I'm perfectly fine to drive...."

Since alcohol and drugs tend to alter perception, there's probably something to be said for THINKING there was great sex.....
Old 05-15-2013, 15:14   #340
Mushinto
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
I've heard people say they had the best sex when drunk and/or stoned. ...
Apples, oranges.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote