Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:29   #261
Glocked again
Glocked again

When traveling in Germany, Beer is cheaper than water. Being a little on the economical side, I must do what I must do to save a Euro!
Glocked again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 18:41   #262
brokenprism

I don't drink at all. Sep 5 will be 10 years. I have a 10-yr old daughter, so there's your 'why'. I used to be a semi-professional recreational drinker. One DUI, 19 years ago, dodged another one a year or two later. Many 'sick' days from work but never lost a job over it. I never went anywhere or did anything if I couldn't drink doing it. Got to drinking on the drive home from work and darn near on the drive to work, near the end.

Just quit one day. Moved a new family out of State and left my drinking buddies (all my friends were drinking friends) behind. Haven't looked back, can't be tempted, don't miss it, can't remember it.
brokenprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:25   #263
mrmedina
NRA Member

The alcohol was starting to rule my life. I just said no more. I'm not judgmental, if you want to drink. Go for it. If any kind of drinking is a beer with pizza yet I haven't done that in several years. No cravings, yet the funny thing is back in the day my mother worked for a liquor distributor company. Over the years she gave me(when I drank) different bottles because of damaged boxes but the bottle was intact. I have several bottles of wines and whiskeys. Yet I never touched them, I could sell them after the apocalypse.

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:30   #264
Mrs. VR
Administrator

I don't. Just don't like the taste and to get to where I do it has to have so much sugar that its a bad use of calories.

Not that I never have, I just haven't had the desire in years.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51   #265
lilglockboy

I only drink when I can get some apple pie moonshine, and then I only take a couple of sips and put it back in the fridge. Other than that my life is too busy to not be sober.
lilglockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:56   #266
Restless28

I can't drink beer now. Just one bottle causes nasal congestion, bloating, and lethargy. I love the taste of a good trippel, but it doesn't like me.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:31   #267
2740dmx

not a drop in over 7 years.......
no AA meetings, no counseling, just plain old tired of making poor decisions and screwing up relationships, driving drunk, and getting into bar fights!

I am so lucky that I never killed anyone while driving drunk, or even got a DWI/DUI!!

It was hard for a couple years, since all my friends were drinkers, but luckily for me, my wife does not drink either.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:44   #268
Eagle1
Oh glockaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
I very rarely drink. I do not like to be drunk, do not need it to give me courage, do not need it to make me relax, do not need it to make me cool and do not need it to make me forget anything.

I do not like the feeling of not being in control or having my normal facilities impaired.

Most of my family were non or rare drinkers. Some say there is a gene for alcoholism and I guess we do not have it.
Very good post and I am the same way except I have never drank but one time which I did not like it. I want to be in control, period!!!

Plus If you get into a situation and are a legal ccw holder and you have been drinking, how do you think things will spin out of control on you (legality wise) even if you were in the right...

In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:59   #269
m2hmghb

I have an occasional drink. The bottle of vodka I got for my 21st birthday lasted over 4 years before I threw it out. I do sip on some apple jack once in a while, this bottle is over a year and a half old. I don't see a problem with drinking per sae, I see a problem with drinking to excess.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:19   #270
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
THIS IS A NO JUDGEMENT THREAD!!! People state their reason and that is that, whatever it may be.

Is there anyone here who doesnt drink at all?

Would you mind telling us why?
I do not drink at all. I did occasionally when I was younger (high school/college) but quit a few years ago outright when I became a father.

My reason is that there are at least 8-10 alcoholics/other addictive behaviors in my family, and my father drank himself into an early death in his late 50s. I never had a problem, I gave it up with no problems, and I am going to keep it that way. It's the same reason I don't smoke, do drugs, or gamble - these are the other addictions in my family, so I want to stay above any habits to which I may be genetically susceptible to becoming addicted.

That, and after the really ugly circumstances surrounding my father's death, I can't even stand the smell of alcohol, and am certain I couldn't stomach the taste.
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:21   #271
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. VR View Post
I don't. Just don't like the taste and to get to where I do it has to have so much sugar that its a bad use of calories.

Not that I never have, I just haven't had the desire in years.
Same reason I gave up soda. I want to eat my useless calories in chocolate, not drink them as syrup in a can!!
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10   #272
CrazyTrain

I stopped drinking for 6 months completely. Prior to this point I was drinking 'socially', whatever the hell that term means officially. I drink a glass of whine at night, it is conducive to a good nights sleep. Sometimes three.
CrazyTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:21   #273
E'villeGunner

Yeah, used to. Don't now though, due to medical (heart related) reasons.
E'villeGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:25   #274
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

gona get some tequila for a margarita tonight
Old 05-05-2013, 12:17   #275
arizona_andy
Caliber Realist

I don't drink at all. It just does nothing for me, tastes horrible, and I prefer not to have my judgment impaired. So there are my three reasons. I've never had any bad experiences, it just isn't my thing.

"Only tyrants need fear tyrant-killers."
arizona_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:22   #276
Shocker73

I struggle with drinking. I've been drinking for yrs and it has cost me alot. I gave up liquor yrs ago it got me into to many fights. I still drink beer (yuengling and only yuengling) if the rest. or store doesn't have my brand I don't drink. I never drink and drive and I have never missed work due to drinking but I do realize that I drink to much. My new years resolution this yr was to cut back so since jan. I only drink on the wkend. I justify my drinking by telling myself, I bust my ass at work all wk long I deserve a reward. I love a good buzz to help me relax and forget about the stress and worries of life but its all still there when I sober up. Im currently considering quiting all together and I can if I want to just not sure I want to....
Old 05-05-2013, 12:27   #277
JBCIII

Nothing for almost 8 years now. Social before that, and plenty of recreational years back.
I was on a medication that, when I had a beer with it, made me violently ill. I tried again, same thing - so I dumped out the beer and haven't touched any since.
At this point it is like quitting smoking; you go so long without it seems like: "Why not keep going". I have nothing against responsible use, just figure it is one less thing to increase my size / drain my wallet...
Old 05-05-2013, 12:29   #278
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
We have generations of alcoholism in my family, too, on one side. My paternal grandfather drank and smoked himself to death. I don't want anything to do with it.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:00   #279
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCIII View Post
Nothing for almost 8 years now. Social before that, and plenty of recreational years back.
I was on a medication that, when I had a beer with it, made me violently ill. I tried again, same thing - so I dumped out the beer and haven't touched any since.
At this point it is like quitting smoking; you go so long without it seems like: "Why not keep going". I have nothing against responsible use, just figure it is one less thing to increase my size / drain my wallet...
That's actually how my mom quit smoking, too. She had gotten sick (bronchitis, maybe?) and so she stopped while getting over that, then she smelled someone else smoking and about threw up. That was 3 1/2 years ago after she was a smoker for over 30 years.
Old 05-05-2013, 13:34   #280
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Drank from 8am-1130pm yesterday, caught a bunch of bass and perch (along with a few trout), rode the ATVs, and shot some prairie dogs. Good day.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote