GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-22-2013, 16:51   #101
drt4life

Need a little extra in your quiver ? They are not legal for use in most states, but are legal to own in most states....you just never know....Rac-Em-Bac.com arrowheads you load a .38/.357 round in....they work.....
drt4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 21:28   #102
bdcochran

A few reasons for posting:

1. disproves the supposition that shooting a bow must be slow.

2. illustrates why you (who would use a rifle, pistol or shotgun) should be taught to shoot, unload, reload while in movement.
I received training to shoot, unload, reload while in motion - running or walking. For those of you who shoot CMP meets, get permission to shoot the 100 yard standing leg while in movement. With adequate training, you will do as well as guys with heavy jackets, stiff uncomfortable posture, and tight slings. You want to be able to move (less of a target) and shoot accurately in combat.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 21:37   #103
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
Archery - Fast Shooting (Murmansk) - YouTube

A few reasons for posting:

1. disproves the supposition that shooting a bow must be slow.

2. illustrates why you (who would use a rifle, pistol or shotgun) should be taught to shoot, unload, reload while in movement.
I received training to shoot, unload, reload while in motion - running or walking. For those of you who shoot CMP meets, get permission to shoot the 100 yard standing leg while in movement. With adequate training, you will do as well as guys with heavy jackets, stiff uncomfortable posture, and tight slings. You want to be able to move (less of a target) and shoot accurately in combat.
Hopefully just about any of us could meet or exceed that with a handgun, and I doubt we are good enough to be put on YouTube.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:36   #104
drt4life

Most people should be faster with a handgun, but sometimes being quiet is also very necessary.............
Old 06-23-2013, 14:46   #105
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt4life View Post
Most people should be faster with a handgun, but sometimes being quiet is also very necessary.............
What situation do you imagine where shooting a bow in the manner shown in that video would be better than doing so with a handgun, due to the noise?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 06-23-2013, 15:05   #106
drt4life

Maybe some place where you don't want the neighbors or other people to hear a gun shot.....plenty of places and reasons....use your imagination......
Old 06-23-2013, 15:41   #107
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Maybe some place where you don't want the neighbors or other people to hear a gun shot.....plenty of places and reasons....use your imagination......
Dang, I was hoping you could provide something of use that would support your position or substantiate your claim.

Old 06-23-2013, 17:03   #108
TunaFisherman
Halibut Hunter

They make total sense if your trying to stay covert. Hunting with a bow is way better then even hunting with a suppressed firearm in my opinion. I own several suppressors in different calibers so I am giving my opinion based on my personal information.
Would I rather pack a suppressed .22 rifle around in a back pack if mobile , yes.
But if I am hunting from a base camp and dont want attention,then a bow makes sense to me.

Last edited by TunaFisherman; 06-23-2013 at 17:04..
TunaFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 17:22   #109
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFisherman View Post
...Hunting with a bow is way better then even hunting with a suppressed firearm in my opinion...
In what way? Just curious how you mean this.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 18:21   #110
TunaFisherman
Halibut Hunter

Well if your trying to be covert then its quiet. Do you own or have used a suppressed rifle or pistol? They are not totally silent.Its my opinion only that its better. Doesnt mean its correct...
but I own and shoot suppressed from .22 up to .223 and 5.56mm. Granted with the right rifle and sub sonic ammo you can get whisper quiet. My CZ 452 with sub sonic is pretty damn quiet but I think a bow and arrow would be quieter altho follow up shots would not be as fast. It would be used for only certain situations. sure its flawed somewhere but...Just an opinion Im not here to argue anyones point.

*Used from a fixed base camp to hunt in a area that has certain unfriendly people in that area I want avoid and to bring meat home from (deer,pig,cow...)....

Last edited by TunaFisherman; 06-23-2013 at 18:25..
TunaFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 18:52   #111
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
You also have to A. Get alot closer, and B. Track whatever it was you hit with an arrow.

A suppressed rifle shot to the side of the head at 100m and dinner is waiting.

Just food for thought.

I have a bow, I'm pretty ok with it. And I'd use it in SHTF if ammo was really scarce, but I place it far below a rifle in the terms of actual useage.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"

Last edited by AK_Stick; 06-23-2013 at 18:53..
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38   #112
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaFisherman View Post
Well if your trying to be covert then its quiet. Do you own or have used a suppressed rifle or pistol? They are not totally silent.Its my opinion only that its better. Doesnt mean its correct...
but I own and shoot suppressed from .22 up to .223 and 5.56mm. Granted with the right rifle and sub sonic ammo you can get whisper quiet. My CZ 452 with sub sonic is pretty damn quiet but I think a bow and arrow would be quieter altho follow up shots would not be as fast. It would be used for only certain situations. sure its flawed somewhere but...Just an opinion Im not here to argue anyones point.

*Used from a fixed base camp to hunt in a area that has certain unfriendly people in that area I want avoid and to bring meat home from (deer,pig,cow...)....
Yeah, wasn't trying to be contentious or disagree; I just don't bowhund and was curious about how you meant 'better' and in what way. Strangely enough, I also have a CZ-452 that I run a suppressor on, and as you say it's very quiet in addition to being nearly crazy accurate.

I do shoot a fair amount of rounds thru suppressed pistols (.22LR & 9mm) and suppressed rifles/carbines (.22LR, .223, 9mm, and .38spl), but don't have the personal bowhunting experience to make a first-hand comparison. I'd be completely comfortable using subsonics from a suppressed carbine in .38spl (158-grain JSP @ 1050fps = more power than .45 acp hardball) for poaching deer in an emergency situation. But using subsonic rimfires for that purpose would be way down on my list of preferred options.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44   #113
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Not too mention, you can't go pick up your bullets and use them over again.
Old 06-24-2013, 20:56   #114
Andy123

A bow or crossbow is a relatively inexpensive prep that may or may not be useful under certain conditions, but few of them pack well.

One alternative is a powerful slingshot. Use it for birds and small game at short range. Then add a string as a rest and use it to shoot broadhead arrows up to about 20 yards.

"At the end of the game, the king and the pawn are put in the same box."

"The camel dances, and having danced, moves on."
Andy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 20:03   #115
bdcochran

bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote