Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2013, 16:02   #41
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If it brings you enjoyment, pack the bow.

If you think you will need to hunt game at close range during your bug out, silently, pack the bow.

I'll pass.

It's been entertaining.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-01-2013 at 16:05..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 19:22   #42
JackMac

I'd call my Montagnard friends who are proficient with homemade cross bows. They have used them for who knows how long in Vietnam and those that are left over there probably still do.
Old 05-01-2013, 19:26   #43
OMDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post

If you think you will need to hunt game at close range during your bug out, silently, pack the bow.
Why not just pack a suppressed firearm if you need to hunt game silently?

:ROFL:

Last edited by OMDonald; 05-01-2013 at 19:27..
OMDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34   #44
Deputydave

Going back to the OP:

Even though you've been away from archery for an extended time, you've indicated that you're quickly getting back into the groove. So this tells me that you've got yourself a useful skill. As you've mentioned, bows have come a long way. I don't necessarily see where you'd have to sacrifice much in the way of a BOB to carry and use one. Particularly since this is an excellent means of getting a variety of food, is silent, reuseable and something that has been time tested.

Too me, this goes back to the old arguement of 'if you could only have one...gun or knife'. A gun is pretty much a one trick pony. Depending on the caliber you may or may not be successful hunting. I don't like your chances fishing with a gun either. And when the ammo runs out it is a paper wieght unless you've got a reloader in your BOB. Point is that a knife has more uses. And yes, carry both. Same with a bow. You can hunt a lot of different sized game and can also fish with it. And the fact that ammo is reusable or can be fashioned in the wild if needed puts it above a firearm in that regard.

But this isn't one or the other or one vs. the other. It is a useful tool if one have that skill. I'd say it has a valued place in a BOB or whatever survival kit you may have.

I've been thinking about getting a bow and learning how to properly use it for the reasons I've mentioned above. I don't see any issue having it attached or in my ALICE pack along with what I already have.

If anyone has other suggestions for bows that would fill the bill for such a thing, I'd like to hear them or see links.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Deputydave; 05-02-2013 at 06:35..
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:14   #45
OMDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
Going back to the OP:

Even though you've been away from archery for an extended time, you've indicated that you're quickly getting back into the groove. So this tells me that you've got yourself a useful .......

If anyone has other suggestions for bows that would fill the bill for such a thing, I'd like to hear them or see links.
Nice post.

I recommend visiting various local archery shops. Make more than one visit (anyone can have a bad day) and go during the slower time of the year. Now is a great time.

Find the one where the guy/girl will fit you to the right bow, teach you how to shoot, tune, and maintain your bow (and arrows). Find a shop that will treat you right. Then return the favor.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59   #46
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
Going back to the OP:

I've been thinking about getting a bow and learning how to properly use it for the reasons I've mentioned above. I don't see any issue having it attached or in my ALICE pack along with what I already have.

Used compound bows are readily available and dirt cheap if you don't mind 70s & 80s era stuff. No issue with them personally. Mine still shoot well and I would have no problem taking a deer with one today. They are not super high tech or super expensive like bows today. So what's the difference between a 50# pull old compound bow and a 50# new compound bow? The new ones are quieter and more efficient. They are probably easier to shoot well. I don't think a deer is going to notice the difference whether the arrow came from an old or new bow however.

In regard to what is best. A recurve is more traditional, less complicated and cheaper. The newer recurves are pretty high tech, specially the ones with the removable limbs.

After going with my daughter to an archery shop when she bought her bow I echo the advice to find a shop that will let you try some bows out. In addition, go online and learn as much as you can about the type you are interested int.

mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:05   #47
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Perhaps my mistake in the OP was mentioning carrying a bow in a BOB. That seems to have thrown some people off. I guess I should have simply suggested having a bow as part of one's survival gear or basic load out as a backup.

I understand that archery is a skill few people want to tackle. It is much easier for most people to learn to shoot a gun well than become proficient with a bow.
I think you're right. Having a bow as part of one's general survival gear is an excellent idea if one is willing to put the time into learning to shoot it.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 21:13   #48
lavon_andy

Sounds like something worth having in the skill set after I pick up some other more important items for my home/BOB.

Anyone have experience with crossbows? I know they are more complicated and often more expensive, but they are similar to regular bows in the regard of quiet/reusable ammo. Not sure how a homemade bolt would fly though haha.
lavon_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 21:31   #49
bdcochran

bows/arrows

I go back to the original question.

You might consider the concept of a slingshot bow and take down arrows.

http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/

It is a true take-down concept.

Becoming set up is substantially less expensive than obtaining a proper takedown bow and arrows.

No one is disputing that a silenced firearm, yatta yatta, may be more efficient in most instances. Then again, using traps and snares rank higher in gathering meat because they work 24/7 while you can sit back and enjoy life after shtf.

Having taken primitive arts classes, I can inform you that MAKING your own sling, slingshot, atlatal, bow, arrows, gunpowder, excrima stick, walking stick, quarterstaff or bolas in the field after shtf isn't as thoughtful as buying commercial units before shtf. Shtf is a pass/fail situation.

If you aren't going to gain bow shooting skills before shtf, then pass on it. Ditto to other non firearm options and skills.

There is a myth that the Indians had an easy time living off the land. Untrue. The survivors had many years of practice.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:33   #50
mac66
Plant the seed

All the bow talk has me thinking about ...bows! Wife went to the grocery store this morning and called me on her cell. Said there was a subdivision wide garage sale going on in the sub behind ours, "maybe you can find some arrows". I jumped on my bicycle and rode over there.. First house I stopped at had 4 compound bows for sale with cases. Two had arrows. (Cheap arrows are $5-7 ea.) I picked up a very nice PSE compound w/case and a 13 arrows (one was missing the notch) with field tips. glove, sights and some accessories for $15! Just had it out back, very nice bow. Has 45# and 31" draw. Not sure what model it is because the limbs are hand painted camo covering up any markings. I'm a sucker for these kinds of deals.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

Last edited by mac66; 05-03-2013 at 10:55..
Old 05-03-2013, 13:29   #51
quake

Quote:
...I'm a sucker for these kinds of deals.
My problem is being left-handed with most anything except firearms, combined with being somewhat of an oaf. Finding a used, left-handed bow, with a long draw length at anything approaching an attractive price, is something that just hasn't happened to me yet.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:53   #52
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

A bow and arrows would be a good thing to have around if society goes to hell... especially if you need to keep quiet while trying to get food and you don't want to give away that you are there.

As for shooting wood arrows out of a compound; I've done lots of times with arrows i've made. I have a bundle of them spined for a 100 lb pull bow. I stopped shooting them long ago because of the potential problems doing so can cause. Even if the arrows are strong enough to shoot out of a compound, there is still the issue of the fact that wood arrows tend to be so light that shooting them out of a compound can have the same effect of dry firing the bow... not good... really stresses out a bow. I've actually had 2 different bows "blow up" on me. Blown limbs. Both laminate limbs... one a wood/fiberglass recurve, 60# (but 70# for me with my length of pull) Bear Kodiak Hunter. The other a Browning Accellerator compound with wood/graphite limbs. Both caused me minor injuries (that HURT!!!) Soooo... i replaced the wood/graphite limbs, which were supposed to be faster, with solid fiberglass limbs. This bow is pretty old now... bought new in the '80's... and i'm still hunting with it. Modified the cable guard with a new type roller cable guard that i made (don't try this at home) which now makes the bow about an 80# pull... 50% let off. At any rate... a bow is always a good thing to have around... but they aren't all that small. For a BOB it would be better to make sure you have the tools to make a bow and arrows... and fire... and DEET... and a water filter and water bladder.... and space blanket... SuperGlue... toilet paper... rain suit... hat... etc. You should already have a gun on you. If you have a threaded barrel it might make sense to keep a suppressor in your bag... it's much smaller and lighter than a bow. As for which gun to carry... i carry a 10mm Glock. I call it a "pocket carbine" because it shoots so flat... and it will drop just about anything with the right shot placement.

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

Official AGripô Manufacturer Website

AGripô Installation Video

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 15:09   #53
mac66
Plant the seed

I've always wondered how powerful native American bows were? Or the English long bows or those recurves the Mongols had? I can't imagine them being more powerful than the average compound bow we have today. I killed a number of deer with 35# bows until someone told me it wasn't enough to kill deer.

Point is how strong a bow does one need? I suppose a high powered bow will kill at longer ranges if you can hit the target. Hitting vitals past 30 yards is not easy.

Old 05-03-2013, 17:02   #54
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Quote:
I've always wondered how powerful native American bows were? Or the English long bows or those recurves the Mongols had? I can't imagine them being more powerful than the average compound bow we have today. I killed a number of deer with 35# bows until someone told me it wasn't enough to kill deer.

Point is how strong a bow does one need? I suppose a high powered bow will kill at longer ranges if you can hit the target. Hitting vitals past 30 yards is not easy.
How strong does a bow need to be? I think you know the answer to that one! How strong should it be for hunting? It should be as strong as a person can handle. Very few bows are over 70#. I've heard/read that some of the English Long Bows were 110#. I'd like to have one of those... i wonder if i could even pull it back. At any rate, for me, the faster i can get a heavy arrow to go, the flatter it is going to shoot and the harder it's going to hit, and the easier it is going to be able to hit with at longer distances.

Brooks W. Speier

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 05-03-2013, 19:31   #55
lavon_andy

I think for now I'll spend some time trolling garage sales and thrift shops to see if I can get something older that is cheap.

I have higher priorities and I'm on a limited budget :\
Old 05-03-2013, 22:13   #56
OMDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
My problem is being left-handed with most anything except firearms, combined with being somewhat of an oaf. Finding a used, left-handed bow, with a long draw length at anything approaching an attractive price, is something that just hasn't happened to me yet.
Which eye is dominant?

Do you normally shoot rifles left-handed? If so, how well do you shoot right-handed?

I know some left-handed people who shoot rifles and bows right-handed (very well). I also know that while left-handed rifles and bows are not easy to find in stock at every store, they can be ordered new. Also, the archery shop owner/expert might know where a used one is.

It's worth a try shooting right-handed before buying.
Old 05-03-2013, 22:19   #57
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Yeah, learn to shoot right handed.

Brooks W. Speier

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 05-04-2013, 07:06   #58
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMDonald View Post
Which eye is dominant?
Mix, or maybe better-put as 'ambivalent'. Doing the basic finger-pointing dominance test, using my left hand I come out left-eye dominant, and using my right hand I come out right-eye dominant.

Quote:
Do you normally shoot rifles left-handed? If so, how well do you shoot right-handed?
No. Done it, but only had any real success doing it at shorter-range transitioning-drill distances.

Quote:
I know some left-handed people who shoot rifles and bows right-handed (very well). I also know that while left-handed rifles and bows are not easy to find in stock at every store, they can be ordered new. Also, the archery shop owner/expert might know where a used one is.

It's worth a try shooting right-handed before buying.
Definitely agree on the 'trying before buying'. I just haven't found a used one that fits me (and I've looked off & on, half-heartedly, for years), and I'm just too cheap to buy a new bow - especially without trying it first - when I could instead buy a crossbow for less money. Crossbows are legal for hunting here, which may actually be part of the reason that there's so few left-handed bows around; it's just simpler & easier for a lefty here to get a crossbow and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz10m View Post
Yeah, learn to shoot right handed.
Honestly have considered it. But even doing that & going thru that hassle & transition, there'd still be the 'other' hassles inherent in bow shopping. If I really wanted a standard bow, that'd actually be the route to take; it's just not that important to me, since I can use a crossbow (borrowed from a family member) or a suppressed firearm, which is also legal for hunting here. Gotta love arkansas...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:55   #59
lavon_andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
or a suppressed firearm, which is also legal for hunting here. Gotta love arkansas...
Next you're going to tell us you can fish with dynamite, not quite as stealthy but super effective!
Old 05-04-2013, 14:58   #60
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

I love crossbows, if for no other reason, they are just plain cool... BUT, i have just never found even one that was light enough to be carrying around in the woods, and compared to a regular bow, (long, recurve, or compound), crossbows are just plain awkward. They are fine for a blind or treestand, etc., but i just can't wrap my head around carrying one on a short hunt much less a long one.

As for that lefty stuff... it really doesn't matter if you are left eye dominant (like me) or left handed... it is really MUCH better to just plain struggle through it and learn to shoot right handed, right eyed, with both eyes open for ranging, etc. And with firearms it is flat out safer. If a chamber ever blows shooting a right handed rifle left handed (like i used to do) everything is going to come flying back right into your face. Shooting right handed you have at least a little protection if there is that chance accident... and they DO happen. Check around here and you'll find more than a few people it's happened to. The biggest plus to learning to shoot right is (like that pun?) the money you will save and the skipping of the hassle of trying to be a leftist. (Sorry, couldn't resist!) It will be a bit of a struggle at first to "reprogram" your brain/body, but before long you will feel totally natural shooting right.

Brooks W. Speier

Μολὼν λαβέ!