Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2013, 18:31   #1
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Heat, surviving the heat

Tell me about how you survive the heat, and more importantly if you didn't have power for AC, how would you survive the heat.
Old 07-16-2013, 18:46   #2
bdcochran

You already know -

1. shade;
2. hydration;
3. potassium and magnesium tablets;
4. possibly sodium chloride tablets;
5. no unnecessary exertion;
6. soak clothes -
7. eat lots of fruit, including bananas;
8. and remember, google is your friend - "how to survive heat"! Heck there is even a reference to videos at google.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 18:51   #3
Tom Kanik

Just one more reason I love my basement!
Old 07-16-2013, 19:41   #4
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
You already know -

1. shade;
2. hydration;
3. potassium and magnesium tablets;
4. possibly sodium chloride tablets;
5. no unnecessary exertion;
6. soak clothes -
7. eat lots of fruit, including bananas;
8. and remember, google is your friend - "how to survive heat"! Heck there is even a reference to videos at google.
All good suggestions above, plus I would spend the day in my bath tub with the cold water running over me as much as needed to lower my body temperature. Keep this technique in mind for elderly or sick people if the power does go out.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 19:46   #5
ratf51

I grew up in the south, mid-west Georgia to be more specific, and we did not have AC. We played outside all day and at night all the windows in the house were open. When you are accustomed to 90 degrees then 74 degrees at night feels down right chilly at times. Strive to safely acclimate yourself to the heat, shade is your friend, keep activity low (for us old codgers), hydrate, and a hosepipe with running water can provide limitless enjoyment. Outside shade is better than being inside-- a house will simply build up heat (think of your car on a sunny day, only not as bad) even if it is well insulated. (There is a reason why people spent time on their porches in the past.) If you have trees in your yard they will become your new best friend. If I lived where trees were scarce I think I would make sure to have a tarp and poles that could be set up for shade purposes.

As for what I would do in my situation: I have 2 acres of dense hardwood forest behind and beside my house, a small stream (wet weather) flows through the center of these woods. There can be as much as a 10 degree difference down amongst those trees. That would be the shade I would stay in. If rainy, I'll be on my porch.
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 21:02   #6
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Soldiers in Iraq make do drinking water.

I don't see why you "need" anything more.

Sure, its nice to have, but its not required for life.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 21:12   #7
collim1
Shower Time!

I am dealing with the heat right now. Summers in the south are tough an I work outside while wearing long pants and equipment.

The key is work smarter, not harder.

Do as much work as possible early in the morning or late in the evening.

Drink lots of water, even when you are not thirsty.

Hug shade whenever possible. If necessary create shade where you need to work, a tarp setup over your work area can make a big difference.

A wet towel around your neck can help cool your blood.

Eat small snacks throughout the day instead of a large meal. Digestion creates heat, and working in the sun with a full belly is miserable.

Alternate between labor intensive tasks and smaller task that require less exertion.

Wear sunscreen. Not only does it protect you from burning, but you wont absorb as much heat and will cool off when you get in the shade.

I went fishing today and the heat was almost unbearable. I ended up taking a swim to cool off and just enjoyed being at the lake until late in the afternoon when the sun was less intense.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 21:29   #8
JAS104
NRA Life Member

Lots and lots and LOTS of water. Lawrence of Arabia drank tea.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 07-16-2013, 21:34   #9
DJ Niner

I have several battery-operated fans for indoor use when sleeping, or when being outdoors might not be a reasonable option, security-wise.

I'm working on putting together several solar-operated 12v fans for use on sunny days when there is little/no breeze. No battery, just direct-drive solar-panel-to-fan. Should be handy for camping, too, by keeping tent temps down with power ventilation during the day.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 22:08   #10
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

I can not understand why people who choose to live in this hostile environment do not have a basement.
Old 07-16-2013, 22:29   #11
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
I can not understand why people who choose to live in this hostile environment do not have a basement.
Most people have AC and don't have power outages. There are also some areas where basements are not a wise decision because of water table height or other natural issue. Then there is money.
Old 07-16-2013, 22:32   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
Soldiers in Iraq make do drinking water.

I don't see why you "need" anything more.

Sure, its nice to have, but its not required for life.
Funny, I was talking to a guy at work his wife had heat stoke while in the military. Drinking water didn't really work well for her and the others in the medical tent (which was Air Conditioned).
Old 07-16-2013, 22:40   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Funny, I was talking to a guy at work his wife had heat stoke while in the military. Drinking water didn't really work well for her and the others in the medical tent (which was Air Conditioned).

Yeah, lots of military folks, especial the rear echelon folks, make stupid mistakes in the heat.

Never seen someone go down as a heat casualty who didn't make several mistakes along the way to that end.

Not eating because they "weren't hungry"

Not intaking minerals to offset what they lost (electrolytes)

Not drinking water initially, so by the time we started pumping it into them they were way behind the curve.

Heat is far less dangerous than cold. I'm not saying it isn't to be respected, but if you stay hydrated, you'll be just fine.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
Old 07-16-2013, 22:42   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
You already know -
To an extent yes and no. (Always looking for a new trick.)

What brought this to my mind was the Heat warning that was sent out today and ....

Rode my bike on Saturday. I started to late in the day and was over headed before I got to 10 miles. Headed home to recover. I didn't feel good until late on Sunday.

Rode my bike on Monday. Learned that riding without a helmet allowed my head to cool down more. Learned where I could pick up more water on the ride and dump some on me. This helped a lot. DIDN'T set the gatoraid up before I started like I should have. Made the miles, but was dehydrated and would have had a hard time if I didn't have running water and AC to go into.

Rode my bike commuting to/from work. Ride in not bad. Ride home, was a killer. Even the in shape people were not on the MUP. Riding with helmet because I was in traffic, started to over heat. Used some water over the head to cool down enough to get home.

I am guessing that someone will die because of this heat and I don't want it to be me.

Last edited by RWBlue; 07-16-2013 at 22:43..
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 22:45   #15
expatman

Quote:
Yeah, lots of military folks, especial the rear echelon folks, make stupid mistakes in the heat.

Never seen someone go down as a heat casualty who didn't make several mistakes along the way to that end.

Not eating because they "weren't hungry"

Not drinking water initially, so by the time we started pumping it into them they were way behind the curve.

Heat is far less dangerous than cold. I'm not saying it isn't to be respected, but if you stay hydrated, you'll be just fine.
This is pretty much the gospel.
Old 07-16-2013, 22:46   #16
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Most people have AC and don't have power outages. There are also some areas where basements are not a wise decision because of water table height or other natural issue. Then there is money.
Yeah, most people up here have natural gas and electricity, but when it goes out you better have a back up plan.
Old 07-16-2013, 22:48   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:

Based on what I was told, I think this was a problem for several people in the medical tent. Water went in, minerals came out. Then lights went out.

As far as cold vs. heat...Both can do a job on the human body. It is amazing that we survived all.
Old 07-16-2013, 23:10   #18
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Quote:
Based on what I was told, I think this was a problem for several people in the medical tent. Water went in, minerals came out. Then lights went out.

As far as cold vs. heat...Both can do a job on the human body. It is amazing that we survived all.

I agree completely.

However, cold is the sneaky one. She'll sneak up and make you take your clothes off and run around freezing to death naked. Heat generally won't make you do that. You just slump over and pass out.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:20   #19
Lone Kimono

I've been trying to find it for months, but a while back I read something about Egyptian AC. Please forgive my memory if it's wrong, but I thought it had something to do with soaking drapes with water and the evaporation cooling the room temperature. Is anyone familiar with something like this?
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47   #20
expatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Kimono View Post
I've been trying to find it for months, but a while back I read something about Egyptian AC. Please forgive my memory if it's wrong, but I thought it had something to do with soaking drapes with water and the evaporation cooling the room temperature. Is anyone familiar with something like this?
Same principle we used in Iraq.

We would wrap our heads/faces in a head scarf or similar rag that was soaked in water. As the air would flow through it would feel like the A/C was turned on.

Whenever we rode in the back of a truck we would slip a water bottle into a wet sock and hang it over the side. The air flow would cool the water down a few degrees and give us the feeling of having a cool drink.