Old 04-28-2013, 23:49   #101
Daltini

Nowadays that is...
Old 04-28-2013, 23:53   #102
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltini View Post
Thanks. So it is more for nostalgia and tradition than an actual large scale political/power purpose? Or is it the core values and belief system that it is based on? Or just guys chilling out? Or really any combination...
Just nostalgia/tradition. In centuries past it was literally a matter of life and death to keep secrets. Today we add to the oaths that we'll keep the secrets of brother masons "murder, treason, and other felonies excepted," and say the pledge of allegiance before we open every lodge. Its just a fraternity of men with a very rich history.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:19   #103
Hyksos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
Just nostalgia/tradition. In centuries past it was literally a matter of life and death to keep secrets. Today we add to the oaths that we'll keep the secrets of brother masons "murder, treason, and other felonies excepted," and say the pledge of allegiance before we open every lodge. Its just a fraternity of men with a very rich history.
We don't have that "murder, treason, and other felonies excepted" down here. We're old school. We also still have the 3 symbolic penalties for each degree. It's my understanding that Canadian and British lodges have removed the symbolic penalties because, well, you know...

Also, to the poster who was concerned about "oaths."

Masons don't take "oaths" they take obligations.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28   #104
Hyksos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltini View Post
Thanks. So it is more for nostalgia and tradition than an actual large scale political/power purpose? Or is it the core values and belief system that it is based on? Or just guys chilling out? Or really any combination...
Everyone gets different things out of Masonry.

Some people join for the fellowship with other like-minded men. Some like giving back to their communities through the charity work. Some come for the esoteric knowledge. Some end up becoming strict ritualists and learn the ritual in and out. Some join and then don't come to lodge very often because they'd rather study at home. Some join because they like being able to travel anywhere in the world and know they have Brothers nearby. Some join and then leave when they realize we aren't going to bestow them with magical powers and high ranking positions in the world.

You get out of Masonry whatever you put into it.

I joined for everything, but I've found that I really enjoy the esoteric knowledge that the Scottish Rite offers. I have many books that are published by Scottish Rite and I study at home and learn the teachings. I was an officer in the blue lodge but had to step out of the line because of personal reasons.

I love Masonry so much I got a Masonic tattoo.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Last edited by Hyksos; 04-29-2013 at 04:28..
Old 04-29-2013, 06:04   #105
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
My advice is, investigate it carefully, before you join

I've been invited to join, but when I talked to the guy who invited me for awhile he decided to get out of it.

I don't know your religious beliefs, and I know full well they claim not to be a religion, but there are plenty of sources that will give you the lowdown on them at a good Bible bookstore. Not so much on the internet. They will claim these books are all a big pack of lies.

BTW my brother was also in it, before he got out of it.

I know I'll get flamed for this post. Flame suit on.

Nite Nite.
So you believe something from people who broke oaths? I can assure you there is NOTHING bad in Masonic Lodge. If you wanna throw up so called " people" who were Masons you can do the same thing with Cops. It is what you make of it.

To be one ask one. Yes it costs money to join for the 3 degrees but everything has bills to pay. I think you would enjoy it.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:08   #106
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
If I knew what the did I would probably be a member they seem to be very secret and distinctive,
Just exploring an intrest as of now..
It's a HUGE secret! There's a sign outside and everything!!!

Ok that's all the secret jokes I got.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:54   #107
Txnowtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Here is a thread, where a bunch of Masons are talking a lot about Masonry.

You want a map and a contact to the lodge closest to you (or any place)...google it. The Masons themselves will say "here we are"

Masons are happy to tell you a lot about various aspects of Masonry. Masons are not an secret group, they are a group with secrets and good people who are genuinely interested, without mercenary reasons and qualify(for example, cant be an athiest) can join.

It is true that Masonic membership has declined in a lot of places but there is actually a very real resurgence going on these days.
What does your Lodge do if a black man walks in and asks to join?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04   #108
Mushinto
Master Member

I am not a Mason, nor would I consider joining. However, I have know some very fine men who are.

But, if they offered one of these as in incentive, I would be knocking on their door:

The Okie Corral

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24   #109
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txnowtn View Post
One of our black members will probably tell the same dumb joke to him they always do. Something along the lines of ... "We already have a black member...." or "I already got the job"

of course, in this part of the world, someone might tell another joke about "are you sure you want to join a Mexican club like this?"

Sorry if you believe it to be otherwise or that doesnt fit with what kind of bait you were throwing out.

Here is a great FAQ, for all the world to see from a Texas lodge (not mine but under the same jurisdiction)+

http://www.dallasmasons.org/faq.html

Do you admit black men?

Yes. Men of all races are welcome to join our lodge.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27   #110
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyksos View Post

Also, to the poster who was concerned about "oaths."

Masons don't take "oaths" they take obligations.
What is the deal some people have with oaths? I've seen people in court get all butthurt and be drama queens about having to be sworn before testifying. Are they afraid to be held to their promise, or isit some kind of religious thing?
Know-it-all

Last edited by ateamer; 04-29-2013 at 10:28..
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32   #111
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
He would have talked to others and been pointed to a Prince Albert lodge. Which is a lodge that accepts and blacks and women in some nations.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36   #112
Dubble-Tapper

In my small town there is a Masonic lodge. Many of the old religious people around here swear they worship satan. One of the county sheriffs is a member there, and when he was involved in a justified shooting, there was town gossip that he killed the guy to attain a higher mason rank.

People actually thought you must kill to advance. I don't know much about the Freemasons, but I know that is total BS.

I've often thought of joining for the history and brotherhood of positive men doing good things. That and I'd like to see where they keep the treasure map

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41   #113
Batesmotel

Quote:
Hand them a petition and find out some things about them.

What they know about Masonry.
Who they know. Need to know a mason 6 months to submit a petition.
Do they believe in God.
Are they a felon.
Is their wife or family OK with them joining.
What questions they have.

The very foundations of Freemasonry are to bring unity to ALL men regardless of race, religion or social status.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46   #114
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
He would have talked to others and been pointed to a Prince Albert lodge. Which is a lodge that accepts and blacks and women in some nations.
Prince Hall (not albert) Lodges are predominantly but not exclusively black. But he would not be excluded from another lodge. We have a Prince Hall lodge that meets in the Salt Lake Masonic Temple. Great Brothers. I visit their lodge on occasion.

Thats another advantage of being a Mason. When you travel you are able to visit other lodges. Great way to meet people.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48   #115
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
You dont know what you are talking about.

It isnt a "Prince Albert" lodge. It is a Prince Hall lodge.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 04-29-2013, 10:59   #116
Hyksos

Quote:
Treat him like any other man? Skin color has nothing to do with being qualified for Masonry.

The Okie Corral

A Jamaican, Persian, and two hispanic Brothers. This wasn't set up like this, it was merely how the chips fell. Bro. Camilo finally got his 3rd degree.

The Okie Corral

Some brothers at a local lodge.

Just sayin.

Last edited by Hyksos; 04-29-2013 at 11:08..
Old 04-29-2013, 11:00   #117
elsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
What is the deal some people have with oaths? I've seen people in court get all butthurt and be drama queens about having to be sworn before testifying. Are they afraid to be held to their promise, or isit some kind of religious thing?
I think it's a religious misunderstanding thing.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05   #118
lethal tupperwa

fellow crafts? OK if you say so.

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Last edited by lethal tupperwa; 04-29-2013 at 11:05..
Old 04-29-2013, 11:08   #119
Hyksos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal tupperwa View Post
fellow crafts? OK if you say so.
Hey, don't blame me. Those pics come directly from the respective lodge's websites/facebooks of members involved. I didn't upload them myself. However, I have personally been to both of those lodges pictured.

My point was that skin color doesn't matter. We have members of all races.

Last edited by Hyksos; 04-29-2013 at 11:10..
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41   #120
Mr Spock
Vulcan

With all of this "first obligation" talk and the masons getting butthurt about other masons saying or posting pics that reveal too much.... This sounds a lot like fight club.

Is your first obligation really to not talk about FreeMasonryFightClub? I bet I know the second obligation!!

If it's your first time at FMFC, you gotta wear the kilt. Or fight. Whatever.
Old 04-29-2013, 15:51   #121
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
In New York or here in Ohio we'd give him a petition. It started in NY to desegregate masonry first with visitation rights between Prince Hall and regular masonic lodges. Then they inducted a black member. Now everyone but the southern lodges at least have visitation right to visiting brethren. I do not know what would happen if a black mason from NY tried to attend a lodge in Tennessee but I suspect it could really get ugly starting with the brother being refused admission and then between the grand lodges revoking recognition of the offending grand lodge, essentially isolating it as a clandestine lodge if they refused to chastise the offending lodge. This has already happened between the West Virginia grand lodge and a few others I am sad to say. I'm glad to say though that the times are changing and more and more lodges are being integrated. The Prince Hall lodges have a vibrant history of their own and many of the black brothers might visit a regular lodge from time to time but have no interest in joining or switching lodges. The younger ones of all colors who have no affiliation yet with any though, are the future.
Old 04-29-2013, 16:17   #122
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
he would be more than welcome in our lodge. and, would be treated as equal.

if he is a visting mason, he will be welcomed.

our scottish rite had a prince hall honoree at fall consistory. r.w.g.m. of prince hall phila. he invited all to join him at his lodge, as we did for him.

if you see color, you don't get freemasonry. period.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
Old 04-29-2013, 16:24   #123
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRedneck View Post
With all of this "first obligation" talk and the masons getting butthurt about other masons saying or posting pics that reveal too much.... This sounds a lot like fight club.

Is your first obligation really to not talk about FreeMasonryFightClub? I bet I know the second obligation!!

If it's your first time at FMFC, you gotta wear the kilt. Or fight. Whatever.
rather than get all "butthurt" about it, let me recommend a book. "freemasons for dummies" by christopher hodapp. local library may have a copy (hey... i live in reality. not everyone wants to spend 20 bucks on a book to see what freemasonry is about).

check it out.

yes, we have tradtions we keep to ourselves. so far, we've been called satan worshippers, heard how we ride goats, pick the world leaders, and set the oil prices. none of those is a tradition.

and, Hyksos....how many sittings did that take???
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent

Last edited by jakebrake; 04-29-2013 at 16:24..
Old 04-29-2013, 16:24   #124
Hyksos

We don't recognize Prince Hall Masonry in Florida. To us they are clandestine, and fake. However, it can be seen from my pics that we do not discriminate.
Old 04-29-2013, 16:25   #125
Marine123

Join the bandidos or the hells angels I be they're fun.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Closed Thread

Tags
religion=srsbsns