Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 18:22   #1
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
What's it take to become a Masonic lodge member

Do they recruit, I don't know any Masons but have a high interest in becoming one, never belonged to any type of organizations but would like to. don't want to join one of the drinking lodges like the moose as I don't drink.
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Old 04-27-2013, 18:42   #2
skorper
harborrat

Pretty sure you have to be invited to join by a current Mason.

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.
Old 04-27-2013, 18:45   #3
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Ask1 2b1

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
Old 04-27-2013, 18:47   #4
bigdogmurph
Lifetime Membership

^^^^^ this
Old 04-27-2013, 18:53   #5
THEPOPE
Nibb

I knew a fella that belonged....it's a money game club...most members have some large sum in the bank...

I believe you must be invited, that is, you must know someone already in it, then they give your name to the committee to peruse and check your contacts out...somebody must vouch for your good character .

Then there is a 'play' of sorts that you must 'act' in, secret handclasps, lots of secrecy involved ,according to my old friend....

I could be very wrong, this was many years ago he and I spoke of it...

i amout....lost my cap finger...

fullest extent of the LAW...
Old 04-27-2013, 19:06   #6
bigdogmurph
Lifetime Membership

Not a money club. You will pay to get in and pay yearly dues @ 125.00 at my lodge. Everyone is equal in the lodge how much money you earn or have is not an issue.
Old 04-27-2013, 19:15   #7
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmurph View Post
Not a money club. You will pay to get in and pay yearly dues @ 125.00 at my lodge. Everyone is equal in the lodge how much money you earn or have is not an issue.
This.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
Old 04-27-2013, 19:18   #8
JerseyJack

I would find out what night the lodge in your area have their meetings and stop by and meet the members. The guys in my lodge are very friendly. Google your lodge I'm sure they have a sight with information. Worse comes to worse go right to the state of Florida sight.
Old 04-27-2013, 19:25   #9
Caver 60

My advice is, investigate it carefully, before you join

I've been invited to join, but when I talked to the guy who invited me for awhile he decided to get out of it.

I don't know your religious beliefs, and I know full well they claim not to be a religion, but there are plenty of sources that will give you the lowdown on them at a good Bible bookstore. Not so much on the internet. They will claim these books are all a big pack of lies.

BTW my brother was also in it, before he got out of it.

I know I'll get flamed for this post. Flame suit on.

Nite Nite.
Old 04-27-2013, 19:29   #10
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPOPE View Post
I knew a fella that belonged....it's a money game club...most members have some large sum in the bank...

I believe you must be invited, that is, you must know someone already in it, then they give your name to the committee to peruse and check your contacts out...somebody must vouch for your good character .

Then there is a 'play' of sorts that you must 'act' in, secret handclasps, lots of secrecy involved ,according to my old friend....

The Masons are not as you describe. They are the most egalitarian of organizations and dedicated to service.

http://www.specialops.org/
Old 04-27-2013, 19:29   #11
HollowHead
Firm member

Their gun safety isn't all that:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,113691,00.html

HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
Old 04-27-2013, 19:36   #12
BuckFiddy

PM sent.
Old 04-27-2013, 19:42   #13
G17Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Do they recruit, I don't know any Masons but have a high interest in becoming one, never belonged to any type of organizations but would like to. don't want to join one of the drinking lodges like the moose as I don't drink.
What do they do that interests you?
Old 04-27-2013, 19:47   #14
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by G17Jake View Post
What do they do that interests you?
If I knew what the did I would probably be a member they seem to be very secret and distinctive,
Just exploring an intrest as of now..
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Old 04-27-2013, 19:50   #15
AirCav
CLM Number 284
Out Front!

Definitely not a money club. (my lodge dues are only $55/yr..it does vary) One of the principle Masonic tenets is that we all meet "on the level." Whatever "status" you may have outside the lodge stays outside. I have found this to be true.

You will not be invited. As someone mentioned, 2B1ask1 (to be one ask one). The idea being that we want to insure you are joining of your own free will and for the right reasons. Nobody coercing or recruiting you.

If you absolutely don't know anyone who is a Mason (you might be surprised if you ask around), call your local Mason's lodge (yep, they're in the phone book and may have a website) and simply express an interest, explain your situation, and they will surely accommodate you. They will likely have someone who will vouch for you after they get to know you a bit.

I encourage you to pursue your interest in Masonry. You will find that it's not nearly as mysterious or "secret" as the interweb and conspiracy fans would have you believe. I find it rewarding to be affiliated with a fraternity of good men who still value good character and brotherhood in a modern world that doesn't. I'm also intrigued by the historic connection to many great Americans.

There are many here with more Masonic knowledge than me but I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you might have either via PM or in GT's Freemason's Lodge forum.
Old 04-28-2013, 00:00   #16
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
Its a bizarre, dying cult thats at odds with christianity if that matters to you.
Old 04-28-2013, 00:08   #17
Ronny
Good Guy

As a regular masonic lodge member I'll tell you it is against the rules to ask someone to join. Guys might tell their friends the benefits of it and give them a petition but will never actually ask. It has to be of your own free will and accord. Other than that you need to be 21 years of age and of good reputation (not a felon), and not be an atheist.
Old 04-28-2013, 00:28   #18
Ronny
Good Guy

Quote:
I think that actually was true of the New York masons in the late 19th century with the Tammany Hall gang and remains true of a few clandestine lodges but is not at all true of ordinary masonry. If you want to join a money club I'd suggest various country clubs the more elite of which are invitation only, not masonry.
Old 04-28-2013, 00:54   #19
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

Quote:

Oh my hell. First, for most, it has nothing to do with money. I WISH my Lodge was some sort of "money pool" and that most of my Brothes had big money.

Second, you will not be invited. One may ask you "why you haven't joined", but if someone ASKS you to join, rest assured at best, they are breaking rules, and at worst, not a true Masonic Lodge.

Third, as a Mason, there is nothing you MUST do. It is all "of your own free will and accord".

As other have said. If you have an interest, just ask one. Feel free to PM me and I can have a Brother in your area get in touch. Be assured you will generally be among some of the best men you will ever meet.

Last edited by zoyter2; 04-28-2013 at 00:59..
Old 04-28-2013, 00:55   #20
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
Its a bizarre, dying cult thats at odds with christianity if that matters to you.
Interesting. Care to elaborate....with FACTS.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:34   #21
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post

I've been invited to join, but when I talked to the guy who invited me for awhile he decided to get out of it.

I don't know your religious beliefs, and I know full well they claim not to be a religion, but there are plenty of sources that will give you the lowdown on them at a good Bible bookstore. Not so much on the internet. They will claim these books are all a big pack of lies.

Nite Nite.

I wont flame you for what you believe, I will flame you for what you claim. You were not (or you should not have been) "invited" to join anything. That is not how it works. Making such a claim makes everything else you say, suspect.

The Okie Corral

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 04-28-2013, 02:05   #22
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
From many Presidents to Astronauts, Entertainers to Athletes. From the founders of this Country to the Judges of our courts. From the Leaders of many Nations to the captains of many industries....

....all the way down to countless unknown good men who desire to be better who make up the majority of Freemasons.

Not dying. Not bizarre. Not a religion. Not a cult. A brotherhood of men.

If it is not for you, that is fine. There are a number of things I dont like. That doesnt make them bizarre.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35   #23
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
From many Presidents to Astronauts, Entertainers to Athletes. From the founders of this Country to the Judges of our courts. From the Leaders of many Nations to the captains of many industries....
Beyond irrellevent
Old 04-28-2013, 03:26   #24
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Beyond irrellevent
How so, exactly?

Men of all walks of life enjoy the brotherhood. Takes away the bizarre claim, as well as the dying claim.

You sound like a pretty ignorant fella.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:48   #25
jp3975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post

Nite Nite.
Lets say my Bible Bookstore doesnt know anything about it. What did yours tell you?

Just because somebody at the local bookstore tells you something doesnt make it true.

Maybe it is true, but if you're going to make accusations that the group isnt kosher, you should at least say what your issue with them is.

I know a guy who's about as Christian as they come and has been a member for quite some time. If they where doing anything unchristian, I think he'd take issue.

Perhaps all lodges arent the same? All churches certainly arent.
Closed Thread

Tags
religion=srsbsns