GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 21:16   #151
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member
 
Bill Powell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: dallas, tx
Posts: 8,967
Blog Entries: 23
You can build a far better boat tail than the original, for a fraction of the cost, with an all alloy or steel body. A Jag
v12 engine, makes my mouth water.
__________________
Stoicism is nothing to get excited about....
Bill Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:18   #152
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
You can build a far better boat tail than the original, for a fraction of the cost, with an all alloy or steel body. A Jag
v12 engine, makes my mouth water.
Yep. It will happen. Oh yes!
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:21   #153
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 6,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrczx3 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The guy is a friggen know it all.
Regardless of your observation, Rabbi does know a lot. I consider him to be a resource on this board - normally as a calm voice of reason, sometimes by offering historical perspective or other arcane information, and sometimes by offering me a new perspective on an issue that I thought I had thought through.
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:58   #154
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 6,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED12A View Post
for anyone interested, this is a 780

The Okie Corral

you say"with a real engine" those old volvo turbo 4 bangers can make plenty of power
I guess the Volvo 2.3 liter Turbo I4's 188 PS is mammoth when compared to...say a Trabant's rockin' 26 HP 600 cc motor.

The Okie Corral

(There had to be something redeeeming about my post)
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 23:27   #155
Taphius
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
I can't remember the specifics, but they had a tranny issue, and they had to drop the entire drive-train to effect a repair, and the trans needed to be replaced.

The cost of a new tranny was around 5K, but they found a specialist that re-built Boxster trannys...

Wait....now that I think about it...they were re-building a an old 911. Still, same concerns.

Plus, I'm thinking of an older, cheaper car, not blowing the OP's budget on the initial purchase. That way (if the car is solid) he'd have a few bucks for stuff like tires, brakes, intake, exhaust, etc...

Screw it....I just enjoy fixing up cars....
Dropping an engine is not that hard, we almost always dropped the motor/tranny/subframe as one unti to do motor replacements on bmw's (750's were kind of a *****, but just cause of how large it was...). Dropped the subframe on mini's to replace transmissions as well. When I was stationed in Ohio me and a coworker replaced a Passat motor doing the same in his garage(Bought one with a blown motor for cheap).

A Porsche wouldn't be much different, easy peasy.
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 23:32   #156
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,821
Blog Entries: 1
Well...has the OP considered a trabant? I suspect a different engine must fit in there. And they have the most reliable fuel gauge ever fitted to an automobile.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 23:48   #157
*ASH*
Senior Member
 
*ASH*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nc
Posts: 21,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
PLEASE LET HIM HAVE THE LAST WORD OR THIS THREAD WILL NEVER END

A THREAD ABOUT CARS BECOMES AN ALL ABOUT RABBI AND HIS .02 CENTS THREAD.....YET AGAIN....

WAITING FOR HIS MANDATORY RESPONSE IE MUST GET THE FINAL WORD RESPONSE....3....2....1....


im dying here . to funny lol but true lol

any car thread that pops up he is god in it . post another car thread there is no way he would not post in it . id take bets lol
__________________
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by *ASH*; 05-01-2013 at 23:50..
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 15:38   #158
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tax Funded Mental Institution
Posts: 5,144
Blog Entries: 1
The difference between a knowledgeable person and a know-it-all is that the know-it-all takes liberties with what they don't know. This person's opinion is presented as fact itself. The opinion might even be based on fact, but that approximation become exact. It's akin to the doctor's opinion based on the MRI versus the MRI itself. This is pointed out to those people when it happens, but those people just leave the thread.

Ever notice a know-it-all who seldom or never supports his opinion with evidence? His belief is his own authority and knowledge is so strong that he never feels the need to back it up. The person might even have some useful knowledge once in a while, but you might have to dismiss anything said because there's no distinction between fact and opinion.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 16:20   #159
DanaT
Pharaoh
 
DanaT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: CO & Baden –Württemberg
Posts: 15,821
Blog Entries: 1
So I must have missed something.

What was rabbi's recommendation?

Mine is still the 993 because of appreciation they have seen lately, the 911 experience, low production volume, etc. they are a car that can be driven but will hold their value and most likely appreciate.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Quote:
Twice a week? 14 times a month?
Quote:
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 16:56   #160
I'M Glockamolie
Senior Member
 
I'M Glockamolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Whatever it is, someone, somewhere has probably done it. I for one thank them.
I think there are more old Jaguars with Chevrolet engines than old Jaguars with Jaguar engines. This is my LT1-powered XJ6, before LSx engines were swapable by the average guy. Seriously budget (like $8k all in). Note the Home Depot sewer-pipe intake.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
__________________
Brandon

Last edited by I'M Glockamolie; 05-02-2013 at 16:57..
I'M Glockamolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:13   #161
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
The difference between a knowledgeable person and a know-it-all is that the know-it-all takes liberties with what they don't know. This person's opinion is presented as fact itself. The opinion might even be based on fact, but that approximation become exact. It's akin to the doctor's opinion based on the MRI versus the MRI itself. This is pointed out to those people when it happens, but those people just leave the thread.

Ever notice a know-it-all who seldom or never supports his opinion with evidence? His belief is his own authority and knowledge is so strong that he never feels the need to back it up. The person might even have some useful knowledge once in a while, but you might have to dismiss anything said because there's no distinction between fact and opinion.
I revel in the fact that the same handful of people who show up time and time again to take a swipe at me are conspiracy theory types. You guys follow me around to express how you feel about me. I think yall have a party line. Yall tend to show up in groups.

It is an amazing hallmark that I am on the right track.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:14   #162
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by I'M Glockamolie View Post
I think there are more old Jaguars with Chevrolet engines than old Jaguars with Jaguar engines. This is my LT1-powered XJ6, before LSx engines were swapable by the average guy. Seriously budget (like $8k all in). Note the Home Depot sewer-pipe intake.

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Yeah, that is about all you can do with cats from that era and price range. Drop in a SBC.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:50   #163
Green70
Senior Member
 
Green70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I revel in the fact that the same handful of people who show up time and time again to take a swipe at me are conspiracy theory types. You guys follow me around to express how you feel about me. I think yall have a party line. Yall tend to show up in groups.

It is an amazing hallmark that I am on the right track.
The irony is thick...
Green70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:03   #164
JMS
02
 
JMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,058
Must have the last word......
__________________

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:07   #165
jbotstein1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Right near da beach
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Must have the last word......
Pot, meet kettle...
jbotstein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:18   #166
GVFlyer
Senior Member
 
GVFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere in the air.
Posts: 6,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotstein1 View Post
Pot, meet kettle...
<Smile>
__________________
The Truth Only Hurts If It Should.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:25   #167
WEATHERBY460
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ILLINOIS
Posts: 577
I am pretty sure I will buy either e 911 (or similiar), a Corvette Grand Sport, or a Gt500.

The 911 wins for performance and appreciation value.

Corvette wins for looks and affordability.

Gt500 wins for performance and a 4 seater.

I am by no means rich, but have worked hard and saved for a car like this. I can't just waste my money, so thats why I want to make a correct choice.
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:32   #168
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by WEATHERBY460 View Post
I am pretty sure I will buy either e 911 (or similiar), a Corvette Grand Sport, or a Gt500.

The 911 wins for performance and appreciation value.

Corvette wins for looks and affordability.

Gt500 wins for performance and a 4 seater.

I am by no means rich, but have worked hard and saved for a car like this. I can't just waste my money, so thats why I want to make a correct choice.
I dont mean to upset anyone, but I would never pickt he mustang. In a few years it will just be 'a mustang"

The 911 will age the best. The Corvette will start to look dated faster.

I think I would still pick the vette if those were my three choices.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:48   #169
Green70
Senior Member
 
Green70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Must have the last word......
The Okie Corral
Green70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:54   #170
*ASH*
Senior Member
 
*ASH*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nc
Posts: 21,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green70 View Post
The irony is thick...
the irony is very very very thick ,
__________________
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
*ASH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:54   #171
Green70
Senior Member
 
Green70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
I dont mean to upset anyone, but I would never pickt he mustang. In a few years it will just be 'a mustang"

The 911 will age the best. The Corvette will start to look dated faster.

I think I would still pick the vette if those were my three choices.
I respectfully disagree. M&P's GT will be "just a Mustang" no matter how much he enjoys driving it.

The Shelby GT500 will always be a timeless beast that will appreciate over time...

The Okie Corral

vs.

The Okie Corral
Green70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:58   #172
Green70
Senior Member
 
Green70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
The Corvette will start to look dated faster.
Especially when the next gen is so much more radical looking...

The Okie Corral
Green70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 19:56   #173
WEATHERBY460
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ILLINOIS
Posts: 577
the new vett is dang nice
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 19:58   #174
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity
 
Rabbi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 29,845


Quote:
Originally Posted by Green70 View Post
I respectfully disagree. M&P's GT will be "just a Mustang" no matter how much he enjoys driving it.

The Shelby GT500 will always be a timeless beast that will appreciate over time...

The Okie Corral

vs.

The Okie Corral
Modern Mustangs, be the Cobra, Saleen, whatever...just end up being "used mustang" after a number of years. I feel as though the GT500 will probably trend that way.

I like it (I think the last two generation retro Mustangs are solid home runs) but I dont trust the market at all.
__________________
In the world to come, each of us will be called to account for all the good things G-d put on earth which we refused to enjoy. ~ The Babylonian Talmud

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 20:12   #175
void *
Dereference Me!
 
void *'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: #define NULL ((void *)0)
Posts: 10,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
The Okie Corral
The car in that pic made me think of a '69 Toyota Corona I used to sometimes drive ... basically, because that Corona was roughly the same color as the car in the pic, and kinda-sorta-but-not-at-all-really the same shape.

I know jack about collector cars. I know jack about sports cars. I can tell you, though, that if you ever happen to be in the middle-of-nowhere desert on a dirt road in a '69 Toyota Corona ... sliding full-blown sideways (kind of like a skateboarder would power slide to slow down when bombing a hill) down a dirt road is pretty damn easy and fun in a tiny little car like that (that trabant looks bigger - I could swear that corona was shorter than I was tall )
__________________
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson

Last edited by void *; 05-02-2013 at 20:18..
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:16.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,211
353 Members
858 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42