SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2013, 17:55   #76
Green70

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
Yeah? So? Who gives a **** about what other cars are on the road? If I'm driving a car that is a great driving experience, I couldn't care less if every other vehicle I see on the road is identical to mine.

Here's a hint; there's many BMW 3 Series and Mustang 5.0s on the road for a reason.

Christ, the reason for owning a sports car is the driving experience, not caring what other people think.
I don't post very often as I tend to enjoy watching the circus that transposes in nearly every thread lately in the GT lounge.

It's like watching a group of chimpanzees turn on each other over a banana...

However, as a connoisseur of some of the finer things in life, I do enjoy a spirited discussion regarding sports cars and collector cars in general.

Vart had a valid point in that the majority of people who collect and enjoy vehicles tend to seek exclusivity.

Even among Corvette clubs there are those who desire to have the rare option that the other guy does not have.

If you are not one of those people who enjoys or values individuality, then by all means buy your M3 or Mustang, and continue to shop at Wal-Mart and eat at McDonalds.

The world depends on people like you to continue their predictability...

I will continue to enjoy driving a vehicle I know I will not park next to another one other than at a car show...
Green70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 17:56   #77
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
Hanging out with some hotties in NOLA a Corvette drives by and all four girls start talking about how the driver must have a small one.

Plan accordingly.
No matter what choice you make, there is someone against it.

Cars are a perfect example.

The corollary to such a statement is, the pretty observationally true idea that the guy in a the cool car gets the chick.

So, you can have a woman who has amassed a lot of data on the wangs of many men...or a chick that digs cars.

Choose wisely.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:06   #78
capnjim01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Maybe a future classic will be cheapest in the very long run.

Honda probably won't make the S2000 again, but Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS are up to something with rear wheel drive and 200 hp boxer motors:

The Okie Corral

2.0-liter Boxer flat four-cylinder
200 hp, 151 lb-ft. torque
22 city/30 highway mpg
1/4 mile (Motor Trend)=14.8 sec @ 94.3 mph
0-60 mph (Motor Trend)=6.2 seconds

2013 Scion FR-S
$24,930
2013 Subaru BRZ
$26,245

Yeah turbocharge like the STI 300+ hp
capnjim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:11   #79
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim01 View Post
Yeah turbocharge like the STI 300+ hp
And you know that's coming.. probably the next model year.
And there will of course be aftermarket kits..

To my eye, the BRZ is far more appealing than the Scion.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 04-29-2013 at 18:12..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:11   #80
GVFlyer

When I lived in Cali I used to date a girl who was a horse trainer for Paramount Studios. She was tall and good looking, think Françoise Hardy in Grand Prix, and very outspoken. She told me that she thought that Corvettes were very phallic and that old guys bought them as compensation when they can't get it up any more. She said that every time she sees an old guy in a corvette, she feels like yelling out to him, "I'm sorry about your p*nis!"

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:13   #81
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
When I lived in Cali I used to date a girl who was a horse trainer for Paramount Studios. She was tall and good looking, think Françoise Hardy in Grand Prix, and very outspoken. She told me that she thought that Corvettes were very phallic and that old guys bought them as compensation when they can't get it up any more. She said that every time she sees an old guy in a corvette, she feels like yelling out to him, "I'm sorry about your p*nis!"

Female logic...

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:24   #82
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Female logic...

We used to think girls who were a little too much into horses were compensating for something....
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:25   #83
moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
No matter what choice you make, there is someone against it.

Cars are a perfect example.

The corollary to such a statement is, the pretty observationally true idea that the guy in a the cool car gets the chick.

So, you can have a woman who has amassed a lot of data on the wangs of many men...or a chick that digs cars.

Choose wisely.
I agree... but when the hotties went on about the guy in the vette my first reaction was "umm maybe he just likes fast cars". Instead, I went on how I drive a small fast car and when the hotties found out it is a convertible they went on about how convertible driving men are best at oral sex. True story.

Who was I to refute that???!!!

One of the hotties I met emailed me and wants to visit... but that's not gonna happen from my end.

Last edited by moeman; 04-29-2013 at 18:28..
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:34   #84
moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
If you order your life based on what some random idiots say...

And if they make such assumptions about someone driving by simply because of which car he's driving, they're clearly complete and total idiots.
I guess it made it past you that I was in NOLA and they were hot! I didn't care what they thought about for the rest of thier life. I did care what they thought about at the end of their hurricanes.

Me, I like vettes but perfer MANY other fast cars. I drive a 5.5L V-8 Merc CLK.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:35   #85
OhioGlock90

My dream car has always been a 65' mustang coupe. Cherry red....... A mustang GT 500 would also be nice.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:39   #86
WEATHERBY460

Good stuff and good things to think about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me narrow my search a little....I want a car that people know what it is...at the same time...be a standout...thats why the corvette is hard to not want.

I watch a lot of "chasing classic cars" and am surprised that I am growing fond of those great vehicles also.
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 18:43   #87
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
We used to think girls who were a little too much into horses were compensating for something....
What?

I've dated girls who did dressage on Arabians and another who rode warm blood hunters - they seem pretty normal to me.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 04-29-2013 at 18:46..
Old 04-29-2013, 18:55   #88
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

there are a LOT of good options in that price range, which is a pretty wide range. What you really have to do is sit down and think about what YOU are going to do with the car and what are YOUR expectations from your new purchase.

I'm in a similar situation right now, and have narrowed it down to a few VERY DIFFERENT vehicles ....I'm looking at GTO's, Chevelles, and Roadrunners on one side of the coin, and Porsche and Aston Martin on the other. I'm unsure of which direction I'm going to head yet. I'm selling a Cobra replica and replacing it with whatever I pick and have another '60s "pony" car too. I LOVE old muscle, but love the looks of euro speed and think it may be time for some sophistication

Last edited by tehan2; 04-29-2013 at 19:08..
tehan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 19:10   #89
method

I like to mentally speculate on what cars from the last 30 years or so will be collectible in the future.

Corvettes will always have a market, and the C5 really is hard to beat for a reliable, relatively cheap to maintain high performance car. You should check into the '01-'04 Z06, or even the regular Fixed Roof Coupe.

If you wanted to go up market, someone's already mentioned the Porsche 911, which is about as blue chip as it gets. All of them hold their value well, but 996 series cars, from '98--'04 don't seem to be as well loved. Saw a nice looking '02 Carrera on a recent Mecum auction show sell for $24k. Not too many 911's seem to dip into the teens.

I think the 'affordable' Ferrari to buy would be a 456. Yes, technically a GT and not a sports car, but I don't think many would whine too much. Rarer and better looking than a TR, still 12 cylinders so you won't get walked by many contemporary family sedans like you would in a 308, and being front engined, shouldn't be as much a nightmare to service as the mid engine cars. It even has back seats.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 20:07   #90
Green70

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
I think the 'affordable' Ferrari to buy would be a 456. Yes, technically a GT and not a sports car, but I don't think many would whine too much. Rarer and better looking than a TR, still 12 cylinders so you won't get walked by many contemporary family sedans like you would in a 308, and being front engined, shouldn't be as much a nightmare to service as the mid engine cars. It even has back seats.
Not true, unfortunately.

The Major tune required about every 15k miles runs around $7k to $10k

Expensive Italian sports cars are still the play things of the wealthy and will always be.
Green70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 20:41   #91

3rd Gen 1LE,
Firehawks
Saleen mustangs.
C4 ZR1s, Grand Sport,
LT4 Vettes LT4 Camaro SS and LT4 Firehawks

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 21:49   #92
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green70 View Post
Not true, unfortunately.

The Major tune required about every 15k miles runs around $7k to $10k

Expensive Italian sports cars are still the play things of the wealthy and will always be.
Oh whoops, I didn't think the front mounted engines needed to come out for servicing.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 21:56   #93
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ntx View Post
That budget can get you into some much nicer older cars. For exapmle, around here the C3 Corvette (68 to 82) is a hot entry collector market. You can get into a nice one for $15k or less and get a taste of the culture to see if it's for you.

If I were looking to jump into that hobby I would stay away from new or late model cars. Much less collectible and much more expensive. I would also stay away from project cars (to start with) because of the time and expense required to get them on the road.

Good luck deciding, have fun looking!
Word.
Old 04-29-2013, 22:02   #94
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
The Okie Corral

Lotus Elise I really want one, i hear its like driving a street legal go kart.

If your looking for a pure straight line fast car for a decent price an aftermarket super charger on a C6 corvette is hard to beat.
Killer car if you are about 5'6" or less - absolutely tiny.
Old 04-30-2013, 23:14   #95
skeeter1959

Just got a 2001 Vette with 55K miles. Paid $17,500 + TTL. Always wanted a Corvette. It's our weekend date car (sez the wife). Love the C5 for value and fun factor.
skeeter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19   #96
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

When I decided to buy my first sports car, I could have bought a Ferrari, Lambo, or Viper, and at the time, had the money to pay cash, but decided to go with a Corvette C6. I made my choice for a few reasons. One, I have always loved the Corvette. Two, parts are easy to come by, and service won't break the bank. Three, finding a service dept for exotics would be difficult in my area. That said, I am now driving my 4th C6, it still brings a smile to my face, everytime I press that ignition button. Corvette's aren't for everyone, but dollar for dollar, they hold their own with exotics. And they are an absolute blast to drive...

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
Black Rifle Club Member #768

Last edited by JLB768; 05-01-2013 at 01:21..
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:09   #97
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
When I decided to buy my first sports car, I could have bought a Ferrari, Lambo, or Viper, and at the time, had the money to pay cash, but decided to go with a Corvette C6. I made my choice for a few reasons. One, I have always loved the Corvette. Two, parts are easy to come by, and service won't break the bank. Three, finding a service dept for exotics would be difficult in my area. That said, I am now driving my 4th C6, it still brings a smile to my face, everytime I press that ignition button. Corvette's aren't for everyone, but dollar for dollar, they hold their own with exotics. And they are an absolute blast to drive...

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral
If I was in the market for an 'affordable' sports car I'd have to go with the Ariel Atom . If money wasn't an object a Ferrari 250 GTO or McLaren F1.

Last edited by JMS; 05-01-2013 at 08:10..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:13   #98
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
...If money wasn't an object a Ferrari 250 GTO or McLaren F1.
Porsche 918

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Ferrari LaFerrari

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

McLaren P1

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Old 05-01-2013, 09:32   #99
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green70 View Post
If you are not one of those people who enjoys or values individuality, then by all means buy your M3 or Mustang, and continue to shop at Wal-Mart and eat at McDonalds.

The world depends on people like you to continue their predictability...

I will continue to enjoy driving a vehicle I know I will not park next to another one other than at a car show...
"Individuality"? Yeah, I've been out of High School & College a few years now, so I guess I couldn't give a **** less about "individualtiy". Nor do I fondle myself, all giddy about how what I drive makes me an "individual".

Here's a hint; What you drive doesn't make you anything....other than a gigantic *********, if you get it juuuuuust right.

But please, carry on with your perceptions. The world of stupid people paying stupid money for stupid vehicles depends on it. And of course, continue trying to judge people by their vehicles....because as we all know, the car makes the man.....right?

Last edited by M&P15T; 05-01-2013 at 09:34..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53   #100
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
"Individuality"? Yeah, I've been out of High School & College a few years now, so I guess I couldn't give a **** less about "individualtiy". Nor do I fondle myself, all giddy about how what I drive makes me an "individual".

Here's a hint; What you drive doesn't make you anything....other than a gigantic *********, if you get it juuuuuust right.

But please, carry on with your perceptions. The world of stupid people paying stupid money for stupid vehicles depends on it. And of course, continue trying to judge people by their vehicles....because as we all know, the car makes the man.....right?
In a way it does.

Every choice you make says something about you. Be it the car you drive or the type of soap you use to how you treat your dog.....and what that says about you is how others see it.

That may or may not matter to someone but it is still true and it can damned well have an effect on your life.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote