Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2013, 13:39   #26
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
The Okie Corral

Lotus Elise I really want one, i hear its like driving a street legal go kart.

If your looking for a pure straight line fast car for a decent price an aftermarket super charger on a C6 corvette is hard to beat.
I chronicled my experience with the one I had on here many moons ago.

The Elise is a neat car and fairly affordable on the used market....just know, it is small and rough. That can get old if you want to drive the thing. Also know, if you are used to something powerful (be that a Vette or the like) the Elise will seem disapointing. It may be "quick" to some...but it isnt.

I am of the opinion, if you are not wealthy but have a few bucks for a fun toy, used Corvettes are pretty much the best value choice. If you want to really get some horsepower, yep, Used Corvettes are the value choice again.

You wont have a lot of exclusivity in a Corvette and you will be sitting at every third stop light looking over to see a doctors wife or a middle aged CPA in one, but for fun to value, they are hard to beat.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 13:43   #27
vart

$20k to $45k and collectible/sporty weekend only driver is too broad. You could get anything from a new Boss Mustang to an unrestored older Lamborghini or Ferrari...

However, since you specifically mentioned the Corvette, Camaro, and Shelby...

My local Ford dealer has a mint 2008 Shelby GT500 w/ 6k miles on it for $45k...

The Okie Corral

If you are trending towards the Mustang/Camaro genre and want something that is unique and will be collectible and sought after for generations, then I would look at the Bullitt Edition and Boss Mustangs...

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 13:54   #28
gatorboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post

The Elise is a neat car and fairly affordable on the used market....just know, it is small and rough. That can get old if you want to drive the thing. Also know, if you are used to something powerful (be that a Vette or the like) the Elise will seem disapointing. It may be "quick" to some...but it isnt.
Definately. It's 1,600#, that's why it's "quick" and they do handle great. Not a good choice for a 300# guy that has his 130# wife along often. It's best for smaller/lighter people who's weight won't take 1/2 second or more off it's 0-60. A vette would definately track better on longer drives.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 14:04   #29
vart

The main problem with Shelbys and Corvettes, and mustangs, Camaros, and challengers is that when you take your Sunday drive in your collectible car, you will see another car almost like the one you are driving...

Here in AZ, you can't throw a rock without hitting a corvette. At least once a month, I see a line of them going down the highway on a weekend fun cruise...

Now, if you want to be a little more exclusive yet still drive something that is fairly reliable and will draw thumbs-up every time you drive it, then perhaps an older classic American two-seater like an older T-Bird or Studebaker Golden Hawk...

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Old 04-27-2013, 14:15   #30
Taphius

Restore a 240z chassis and drop a big block in it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 14:17   #31
xRUSTYx
9mm Fanboy

I'm a Mopar fan ... I vote for an SRT10 Viper. This is mine, and it just so happens to be for sale

The Okie Corral
xRUSTYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 14:18   #32
ysr_racer

Do I understand the OP correctly, he wants us to pick out something he can be passionate about?

Has America sunk that low?
ysr_racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 14:19   #33
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Do I understand the OP correctly, he wants us to pick out something he can be passionate about?

While I dont see it as any statement on America or even the OP....yes, I agree that is his question.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Old 04-27-2013, 14:33   #34
vart

Quote:

I agree it is highly subjective...

I am passionate about some very odd vehicles that not many people admire...

If I see one of these on the road, it makes my heart palpitate and brings a smile to my face...

1970 Torino GT, 1968 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, and 1966 F100...

Old 04-27-2013, 14:37   #35
Jack_Pine
CLM Number 257
Charter Lifetime Member

We are going through this same thought process. Looking at retirement with house in Fl. Would be fun to have a "fun" car.

I think it needs to be rag top. I am thinking older muscle car. Sports car would be cool, but I am not small and also cost of maintenance.

Spend a lot of time watching Mecum. There are a lot of "drivers" in the 20-40k range.
Old 04-27-2013, 15:04   #36
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

I've been waiting for someone to call me on the 'front motor' description on the 308 Dino. Guess they aint gonna.

Here is the Lamborghini that can be had for the low end of that price range.
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  
Old 04-27-2013, 15:08   #37
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
I've been waiting for someone to call me on the 'front motor' description on the 308 Dino. Guess they aint gonna.

Here is the Lamborghini that can be had for the low end of that price range.
I actually had to google it when you said it was a 4 seater....I cant remember the last time I saw one and for a second I thought....no way that thing is a four seater. Of course it is. I forgot all about the Mondial being the replacement for that Fiat...

Old 04-27-2013, 15:18   #38
John_NJ

20-45K is a pretty wide range. Lot's to be had for that kind of money. If looking at late model domestic, I would go with a Boss Mustang. Outstanding handling and plenty of power. The GT500 is overkill in my opinion. Also a newer C6 Corvette can be had for that kind of money.

If looking foreign, I've always been interested in a V10 powered BMW M5. Also a Jaguar XKR is something that has classic good looks. Both of these have plenty of power.

Happy shopping!

Donít respond to the stupidity of a fool; youíll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 15:51   #39
gatorboy

Quote:

What's your favorite color? I'm looking for mine, wanted some input.

Just kidding. I'm sure the guy know's what he like's and is asking for the one's he's overlooked and asking those who may have experience with them. I ASSume.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 16:28   #40
vart

Weekend fun car? V8 power? Reasonably cheap maintenance? Under $40k? Unique and likely won't see another one parked in the antique store and diner parking lot?

http://monterey-ca.americanlisted.co..._18232891.html

$37k

The Okie Corral

Old 04-27-2013, 16:33   #41
kiole

The Okie Corral

Used GTM kit car can be had for that kind of money also

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Repli...#ht_500wt_1182
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 16:38   #42
vart

Good quality Lamborghini replica...

http://lamborghinireplica.com/ForSal...o%20021113.htm

The Okie Corral

The Okie Corral

Old 04-27-2013, 16:45   #43
HollowHead
Firm member

Sky Redline or Solstice GXP. If you want true exclusivity, try if you can to find the GXP coupe. Very rare, and GM's eliminating Pontiac caused their price to plummet. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 17:39   #44
GT4494

Quote:
If you are going to make a lifestyle/toy choice like this...before you do anything, why not find the car you are passionate about? (whatever that may be)

It sounds like you can see yourself doing this but dont know how. Spend some time developing the "how" before you spend the money.

Each car has its own flavor and attracts certain kinds of attention and opportunities. What do you want the car for? To enjoy weekend drives? To be a part of that kind of car club? To fix up? To race? To show off? To have something to look at in the garage?

For example, maybe you wont like Ferrari people. Maybe you wont like Muscle car people. (whatever kind of car people) Those considerations are important if you want the community benefits that come with owning a type of car.

Some cars draw a lot of negative/strange attention for the general public. People get @#%& strange and flat out ass holish when they see certain cars and rush to involved their opinions in your life. As an anecdote, it seems that older cars draw less of this and newer sports type cars draw more of this...and cheaper, older high end brand name cars draw the most negative attention....like the cheap older Ferrari, it seems like people are on a mission to insert their opinions of your "wannabe" status...even if they have never even sat in a Ferrari.

Dont just pick a car, decide on what you want from a car and/or what car you are passionate about.

Otherwise you end up like me Daily Driver is a VW TDI, Have a Model A to cruise slow and profile in a Mustang GT (1984) modified to go fast and a pickup truck to use for "honey doos"

Each vehicle has a unique purpose. So do some soul searching to find out what your real purpose is and how much you will be driving it. That all makes a difference in what you end up with.
GT4494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 18:42   #45
Landmonster

Quote:
I chronicled my experience with the one I had on here many moons ago.

I am of the opinion, if you are not wealthy but have a few bucks for a fun toy, used Corvettes are pretty much the best value choice. If you want to really get some horsepower, yep, Used Corvettes are the value choice again.

You wont have a lot of exclusivity in a Corvette and you will be sitting at every third stop light looking over to see a doctors wife or a middle aged CPA in one, but for fun to value, they are hard to beat.
Rabbi, do you feel like a used Vette trumps everything for horsepower?

How about 98-2002 Camaro or Trans Am LS1? You can find a really nice one for $10k-15k.

How about a 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra "Terminator"? You can find a sweet one for $25k.

If you like older fixer upppers... how about a Fox body Mustang? 89-93... prices vary all over the place, depending on condition and mods.
Landmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 19:20   #46
GT4494

Or the ultimate sleeper. Mercedes 600 SL. V12 twin turbo 500+ hp 500+ torque 180+mph top speed with the acceleration to match. The only ID is the V12 logo on the side.

New $150-200K late model used low mileage less then $50k.

Its all a personal choice.
GT4494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 19:41   #47
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Maybe a future classic will be cheapest in the very long run.

Honda probably won't make the S2000 again, but Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS are up to something with rear wheel drive and 200 hp boxer motors:

The Okie Corral

2.0-liter Boxer flat four-cylinder
200 hp, 151 lb-ft. torque
22 city/30 highway mpg
1/4 mile (Motor Trend)=14.8 sec @ 94.3 mph
0-60 mph (Motor Trend)=6.2 seconds

2013 Scion FR-S
$24,930
2013 Subaru BRZ
$26,245

ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 20:06   #48
copo9560

If you want true modern performance, a Dodge Viper or Corvette C6 Z06 can be had on the used market in the upper range of your $$ - most of these are garage queens and in fantastic shape. Like any late models, these will loose money for a few years but likely will be worth something in the future as neither were produced in huge numbers. Both are a blast to drive and have huge potential to be significantly faster if you are willing to add some performance parts.

If its classics, hard to beat the 67-70 Muscle and Pony cars from Detroit. 69 Mach I Musting, SS Camaro or 70 Challenger in good shape will get far more attention than any of the modern versions of the same car. Nice thing about these vs foreign sports cars is parts availability and the ability to do most of the work yourself. These days you can build an early Mustang or Camaro from scratch, not that it would be cheap but illustrates the level of parts around.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 20:12   #49
Daltini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Maybe a future classic will be cheapest in the very long run.

Honda probably won't make the S2000 again, but Subaru BRZ and Scion FRS are up to something with rear wheel drive and 200 hp boxer motors:

The Okie Corral

2.0-liter Boxer flat four-cylinder
200 hp, 151 lb-ft. torque
22 city/30 highway mpg
1/4 mile (Motor Trend)=14.8 sec @ 94.3 mph
0-60 mph (Motor Trend)=6.2 seconds

2013 Scion FR-S
$24,930
2013 Subaru BRZ
$26,245

swap in an LS series engine and youre golden
Daltini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 20:20   #50
jtull7
CLM Number 289
Pistolero

I'm sorry, but I believe that I read that the OP wanted a sports car that would be timeless.

In my opinion, timeless sports cars are foreign. Jaguar XKE. Aston Martin. Triumph. Porche. Even a lowly MG.

Not Corvettes. God help us, not a Mustang or any muscle car or a rice-burner. My opinion only.

Here's a sports car:

The Okie Corral

Every day I face Ogden, Utah, and pray that God might bless John Moses Browning.

Outpost Member #69 I collect and shoot many fine firearms. CCW: NM, CT, and NH. N5JHT. WFR. Former LEO. SAR. Bilateral trans-tibial amputee. Survivor of bubonic plague. Tough sum-*****.

Last edited by jtull7; 04-27-2013 at 20:24..
jtull7 is offline   Reply With Quote