SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2013, 14:44   #251
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

It was fun GVFlyer, and pricey, but not to me. I worked for a car collection that had about 800 cars in it and we provided cars for different events. That time it was doing a film for Dream Car Garage. It was awful, dirty work but someone had to do it and that time I was elected.

It would burble, burble up to a tad over 150 mph, and corner like it was on rails. Yep, it was awful work.
Old 05-04-2013, 15:05   #252
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
SVX, not SVT.
I was trying to throw folks off the scent so I could have the car for myself.

You don't own a Subaru SVX do you?

http://www.specialops.org/

Last edited by GVFlyer; 05-04-2013 at 15:06..
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 15:11   #253
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds45acp View Post
The Pirelli P-Zeros that came on it have a 200 treadwear. If you don't run track events on them (They would SUCK for that BTW) they should get you about 20k miles. More than that is a bonus.

Watts-link rear ends are a wonderful thing. After my warranty runs out I'll be tossing one on the rear of mine.
LOL!!! No, 10K for these tires. Seriously, 10K. I thought it was a joke....but no, 10K.

Look into a BAMA 93R tune, no need to do a CAI, they don't do anything in 5.0 Mustangs.

Yes, I was going to mention a watts link. Far better (from what I have read) than a pan hard bar.

Last edited by M&P15T; 05-04-2013 at 15:12..
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 15:21   #254
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
LOL!!! No, 10K for these tires. Seriously, 10K. I thought it was a joke....but no, 10K.

Look into a BAMA 93R tune, no need to do a CAI, they don't do anything in 5.0 Mustangs.

Yes, I was going to mention a watts link. Far better (from what I have read) than a pan hard bar.
Yep, Panhard rods are usually used with coil spring suspensions to add lateral rigidity. Leaf spring suspensions typically are plenty rigid without them.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 05-04-2013 at 18:20..
Old 05-04-2013, 15:24   #255
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Powell View Post
It was fun GVFlyer, and pricey, but not to me. I worked for a car collection that had about 800 cars in it and we provided cars for different events. That time it was doing a film for Dream Car Garage. It was awful, dirty work but someone had to do it and that time I was elected.

It would burble, burble up to a tad over 150 mph, and corner like it was on rails. Yep, it was awful work.
Tough job - sorta like team masseur for Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

Old 05-04-2013, 15:42   #256
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

Better than a Panhard bar, but not enough to warrant throwing the Panhard bar away if you already have one. The Panhard bar probably gives no more that about 1/16" lateral chassis movement.
Old 05-04-2013, 15:48   #257
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I was trying to throw folks off the scent so I could have the car for myself.

You don't own a Subaru SVX do you?
No, but I do have an SVT. A buddy of mine in Arizona had an SVX back 7 years ago or so, and it wasn't a bad car...roomy, comfortable, distinctive, handled well, had decent power for its time. It was also severely overpriced for its time, I think they were like $35k in 1994.

It's no sports car, but no one in their right mind claims it as one.

A true car enthusiast isn't a snob.

Oh yeah, you should pick up this month's Road and Track; issue is mostly about the 911, 50th birthday and all.

Last edited by method; 05-04-2013 at 15:58..
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 15:49   #258
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Better than a Panhard bar, but not enough to warrant throwing the Panhard bar away if you already have one. The Panhard bar probably gives no more that about 1/16" lateral chassis movement.
You are correct!!!

I'm still lusting after a watts link.
M&P15T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 16:32   #259
GVFlyer

Quote:
No, but I do have an SVT. A buddy of mine in Arizona had an SVX back 7 years ago or so, and it wasn't a bad car...roomy, comfortable, distinctive, handled well, had decent power for its time. It was also severely overpriced for its time, I think they were like $35k in 1994.

It's no sports car, but no one in their right mind claims it as one.

A true car enthusiast isn't a snob.
Actually, I'm pretty non-denominational about cars - I just like performance. In your camp, I like the WRX-STI, I would, however, do something to speed up the steering and add a short shift kit. A girl I knew had a Subaru SVX; I simply thought it looked goofy and I'd have some fun with it.

Alright, you got me; I'm pretty sure that Subaru is the Japanese word for "ugly car".

Quote:
Oh yeah, you should pick up this month's Road and Track; issue is mostly about the 911, 50th birthday and all.
Got it! Much to my wife's chagrin, in addition to multiple professional publications, I subscribe to Car & Driver, Road & Track and Automobile. Around our house, magazines multiple like rabbits and coat hangers.

Old 05-04-2013, 16:53   #260
kiole

What's everyone's thoughts on a the Porsche cayman s. I wrote them off as "girls" cars but reading up on them they seem to be a fun car. They also allow you to get into a warrantied Porsche for 35k. The 2014 seems like it will be a good bargain when they start coming off lease in 2015-2016.

Or am I thinking about this wrong and better off getting a 6-7 year old carrera s.

Last edited by kiole; 05-04-2013 at 16:55..
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 16:55   #261
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
collector: DeLorean or other odd-ball types. DeLorean was only in production for two years.
I was going to suggest that. I've no idea how $ the upkeep is, but I believe you can get a partially restored one for the high end of the given $ range. They look sporty, but most were actually underpowered.
Old 05-04-2013, 17:03   #262
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
I guess your amazing hallmark achievement was trolling people in that moon landing conspiracy thread you created.

It sounds like your right track is either playing chess with autistic children, or writing posts as comical as Two Black Belts' GT persona.
You are holding on to hurt feelings from a thread on the internet that was several years ago?

Awesome!

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 17:29   #263
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

M&P15T, I gotta agree the Watts system looks cooler. It looks more like it is doing something mechanical. You can build one fairly cheaply. Some of the kit builders are kinda proud of their product.

I can't find the thread but leaf springs can also benefit from a lateral stabilizer.
Old 05-04-2013, 17:35   #264
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
I can't find the thread but leaf springs can also benefit from a lateral stabilizer.
And an (anti)sway-bar.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 17:42   #265
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

you are right.
Old 05-04-2013, 17:44   #266
PNine64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
What's everyone's thoughts on a the Porsche cayman s. I wrote them off as "girls" cars but reading up on them they seem to be a fun car. They also allow you to get into a warrantied Porsche for 35k. The 2014 seems like it will be a good bargain when they start coming off lease in 2015-2016.

Or am I thinking about this wrong and better off getting a 6-7 year old carrera s.
I saw the "r" and really liked it. Not girly but not for me due to my kids. Porsche certified warranties go out quite a while.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...EWS/111019932#
PNine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 18:38   #267
GVFlyer

Quote:

The Okie Corral

I really like the Porsche Cayman S; I'm just too tall to fit in it comfortably. The mid-engine design is actually superior to that of the Porsche 991...and what's not to like about a sub-3,000 pound car with 325 hp, torque vectoring and ceramic brakes?

Last edited by GVFlyer; 05-04-2013 at 19:02.. Reason: Added graphic.
Old 05-04-2013, 19:04   #268
kiole

Quote:
The Okie Corral

I really like the Porsche Cayman S; I'm just too tall to fit in it comfortably. The mid-engine design is actually superior to that of the Porsche 991...and what's not to like about a sub-3,000 pound car with 325 hp, torque vectoring and ceramic brakes?
How tall are you
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 19:08   #269
GVFlyer

Quote:
How tall are you
Just a little over 6'1".

Old 05-04-2013, 19:11   #270
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Quote:
The Okie Corral

I love them! I'm getting a 4 door M3 in a few months, but thought very seriously about the Cayman S (came down to size & the fact I love my 3 series)... It's good looking, and like you said, what's not to like about 3k pound car with 325hp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 05-04-2013 at 19:16..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 19:54   #271
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
I love them! I'm getting a 4 door M3 in a few months, but thought very seriously about the Cayman S (came down to size & the fact I love my 3 series)... It's good looking, and like you said, what's not to like about 3k pound car with 325hp!
The M3 is the same decision we took.

The Okie Corral

Old 05-04-2013, 23:12   #272
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You are holding on to hurt feelings from a thread on the internet that was several years ago?

Awesome!
No, sorry, I didn't participate in your self-esteem boosting thread from several months ago. It's just comical to see your thread title seeking out certain people, but then claiming those people follow you around.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 23:32   #273
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
No, sorry, I didn't participate in your self-esteem boosting thread from several months ago. It's just comical to see your thread title seeking out certain people, but then claiming those people follow you around.

Ah, I see. In your world, when I pose an open question it is the same things as people specifically stalking me around.

Of course it would be obvious they are not the same thing but given your (and in general, tin foilers as a whole) twisting of logic and facts to always match how you feel, it makes perfect sense you would feel this way.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

I cross my heart and hope not to die. Swallow evil, ride the sky. Lose myself in a crowded room. You fool, you fool, it will be here soon

Last edited by Rabbi; 05-04-2013 at 23:32..
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 23:46   #274
Reds45acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post

I'm at 2,1XX miles and I've only lost a couple 32nds. Before the jokes about "not driving hard enough" I DO NOT street race or do burn-outs. I run autocrosses and road courses. I keep it legal and on the track. Since I haven't picked-up track wheels/tires/brake pads/brake fluid I haven't hit the track.

I have heard good things about Bama Tunes. I'm happy with what I've got. Not worried about a tune. I embarassed enough 300+ HP vehicles with my 172 HP car. With 420 HP I'm gonna get myself into plenty of trouble on the track.

Quote:
Yep, Panhard rods are usually used with coil spring suspensions to add lateral rigidity. Leaf spring suspensions typically are plenty rigid without them.
Panhard bars aren't about rigidity. They are intended to keep the axle centered during vertical motion.

Quote:
In fact, if you have a Watts-link it REPLACES the panhard bar as it does the work of keeping the axle centrally located during suspension travel.

Link for a pic of how it works:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ts_linkage.gif

Quote:
M&P15T, I gotta agree the Watts system looks cooler. It looks more like it is doing something mechanical. You can build one fairly cheaply. Some of the kit builders are kinda proud of their product.

There are two companies that build decent watt-link set-ups for Mustangs. Steeda and Fays2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
And an (anti)sway-bar.
While it does help with some lateral stability the sway-bar does most work on limiting body roll.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Just a little over 6'1".
I'm 6'1" and I fit in a Cayman R with a helmet just fine. They are a BLAST on a track. No drama. Tons of grip. Great feed-back and the PDK gear-box is smooth and VERY responsive.

Here is video proof (Yes, that's me ):
Reds45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 23:47   #275
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
Ah, I see. In your world, when I pose an open question it is the same things as people specifically stalking me around.

Of course it would be obvious they are not the same thing but given your (and in general, tin foilers as a whole) twisting of logic and facts to always match how you feel, it makes perfect sense you would feel this way.
You mean this open and logical question of your thread title?:

"Where are the 'we didn't land on the moon' dorks?"
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote