GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:02   #1
ViennaGambit

Help: Pelican Rifle Case to Keep Youngins Out?

Having a baby in less than a month and I need to get my **** together with regards to keeping my AR15 and 870 locked up... I know I still have a few years, but my wife is concerned and I know what battles to pick and choose, so I need to buy something in the next few weeks. Ho Hum.

I need a good solution to lock up my guns from kids, not burglars.

Here are the details:

I only have 2 long guns in the house and it will most likely stay this way for the next few years - AR and shottie. Glocks and other handguns are in a smaller traditional safe and a non-issue. We live in a rental so I am not investing in a $1,000+ safe as I cannot bolt it down and the safe would cost more than my current long gun collection - when we buy a house in the next few years this will absolutely be a different story and the way I will go. I cannot sink a safe into my wall or do any mods to the apartment. I like keeping my guns under the bed. I dont want to buy a trigger lock and keep them up high in my closet.

Thinking of a Pelican 1750 for this purpose...

I like the idea of the Pelican case as its nice and slim to slide under the bed, quick access, easy enough to throw in my car, I can fly with it if needed, easy to lock up to keep kids out and pelicans are f'ng badass. I'm not concernend with theft, but I like that I can hide it pretty easily when we leave for a few days whereas as an upright safe or walmart stack-on cabinet is sort of just --> there <-- in the open. Again, if I am going to drop $200 on a crappy stack-on locker, I might as well get a nice pelican case that can serve a lot of roles.

I know moisture and long term storage is an issue in the Pelican cases with the foam, but I would most likely just keep the 2 guns stored in the case without the foam to avoid this and then just keep the foam handy for transport.

Would this be a stupid idea? What am I missing? What do you recommend? Seems like a good excuse to drop $200 and make both me and my wife happy in the process.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 03:57   #2
bill4282

Good idea, especially about removing the foam. Moisture retainer and almost guaranteed rust. I'd put on a padlock and chain to the bed rail. Not completely burglar proof but would slow them down. You could sink a eye bolt into a floor stud and chain to it.
bill4282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:49   #3
toshbar
Timber Baron

I have a Plano GunGuard AW that would keep kids out. $150 shipped. Two of the 5 latches lock, but I would still put two additional padlocks on it.
2 4 R

Last edited by toshbar; 04-27-2013 at 05:49..
toshbar is offline   Reply With Quote