Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:01   #1
Brucev

Finally... Going Shooting!!!

Well I never thought it'd take this long to get my 15-22 and go shooting. Several months ago I found and bought it. Then one thing after another kept coming up at the four churches I pastor so that I just couldn't get a chance to go shooting. Last month I found and traded my first 15-22 to a LGS for a 15-22 w/ the flash hider. Both rifles were new. Cost me $22 difference. I figured it was worth it to me. Still... no chance to go shooting. Last night I got home after 9 pm. Tonight will be another late night. I won't get home before 8:30 or 9 PM. But... this morning I cut loose!

I spent the early morning studying and then got a idea. I called a church member who said I could go shooting in his woods. So I loaded up my 15-22, a 100 rds. of Rem. GB HP's and 400 rds. of CCI Mini-Mag HP's. I got a Coke and a pack of crackers and put my 4" 66 in its holster and took off!

I had the unmitigated joy of walking through the woods w/ one of the church members who showed me the creeks, etc. We covered about 4 miles. I must say as we were working through the brush, etc., it dawned on me why the AR-15 is so very popular. It is just a joy to handle. I realize the 15-22 is not a full sized rifle, but in many ways it handles the same. And it really was easy to carry and use while getting through the vines, etc.

I finished the afternoon by climbing up to the top of a high prominent rocky hill that we used for the Easter Sunrise Service. There I found a nice big piece of rock, sat down and began to have some serious fun with the 15-22. I had used the Remington rounds to test feeding on some ProMag magazines that I converted from 10 to 32 rd. capacity. Nevertheless all of the rounds fed and fired w/o any problems regardless of which magazine I used, S&W or ProMag. I looked down and picked out a piece of rock that I thought was about 60 yds. away and began shooting it. Since dust flew every time I fired, it made it easy to check the zero and make the slight adjustments needed.

I had a wonderful time firing the 15-22. At some point in the afternoon there was one round of CCI Mini-Mag ammunition that failed to feed. I don't know why it gave a problem. I loaded up and kept firing. A small but very tall pine tree was growing near the rock. In less than a magazine it fell. I didn't expect the .22 LR round to cut it down with so few shots.

Now, I don't know why I did it, but when I'd fired off all my ammunition, I decided to climb down the hill for a closer look at what I'd been shooting. That was a mistake. I didn't realize how steep the hill was or how far down it was. Let's just say it was a bit further than I first thought. It didn't take so long to get down though as I found out when I lost my balance. The branches I grabbed slowed things up a bit which is probably why only my dignity got hurt. One I stopped the flopping and flouncing part, I finished going on down. Happily my 66 was not in any way damaged. Somewhere on my rear-end, hips and shoulders there's going to be some "color." But I'll get over it. I would have been so disappointed if my revolver had been messed up.

It took me a lot longer to climb back up to the top of the rock outcropping on which I had spent the afternoon. I think I probably need to buy some new boots. My old ones are Herman Survivors that I got for Christmas in 1980. God only knows how many miles I've covered in those boots. But, the soles are so worn that they need to be replaced if I'm going to do any more impromptu rock climbing. So, I guess I'll start looking.

I am so thankful that I bought this 15-22. I know the FH is unnecessary on a .22 LR rifle. But, I'm glad the rifle has one. I was very pleased with the accuracy of this rifle. Next time I will shoot it over a normal flat piece of ground at a more normal 50 yds. Even shooting at such a hard angle down-hill, it was not difficult to get repeated hits on the bits of rocks that made such convenient targets. It will however be a while before I can afford to again go on such a extended shooting session. Maybe the .22 ammo shortage will moderate in the near future.

Last edited by Brucev; 04-26-2013 at 05:02..
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55   #2
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Awesome. I love those kinda days........ but never underestimate a "little hill" ....haha.

Good story and thanks for sharing!
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013

Last edited by GSSF17; 04-26-2013 at 06:56..
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 16:33   #3
23LS1

When I go shoot my 15-22 I have to limit the ammo I take and tell myself, shoot this much and be done. Once I start its hard to stop.
23LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 22:50   #4
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Sorry about the mishap with the hill but I'm glad to hear you had a great time shooting your 15-22. I love mine as well!
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 22:18   #5
BobPistol

I wish I knew someone who would allow me to shoot in their woods But I live close to the big city...
BobPistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 22:25   #6
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Congrats! I love my M&P 15-22. Everyone should have one!
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38   #7
bac1023

Very cool

Thanks for sharing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:11   #8
CBennett

Went out yesterday also. Took the M1 Garand and the .22's lots of fun, glad I found some ammo finally at WalMart(2 325 packs). Want to get something fun like that 15-22. we just shot our bolt actions. Was a ton of fun. Wanted to dial in my(or I should say try to remember) clicks for zero at distances...6 up from bottom was zero for 100...I did have my front sight almost fly off the Garand...2 things have been minor irritances with it..gas plug will worm its way lose now and then and now that front sight ...glad it didnt fly off while shooting should be good now that I snugged it down.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote