SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2013, 16:16   #1
s&wfan

Cabot Guns

"Not another one of THESE!"

Well, hear me out. The threads I found in searching for the topic got out of hand pretty quickly.

So, let's talk about them in a friendly way.

The first thing everyone (including me) asks is, "Are they worth 8 thousand dang dollars!?!?!?"

Don't know. Never held one. Don't know what an 8k pistol is supposed to feel like. But, I think we can have this part settled easily by saying, "Are they selling them for 8 thousand dollars?" Answer: Yes. "Are people buying them for 8 thousand dollars?" Answer: Yup. They are. Enough that Cabot is still open for business, folks. So, that takes care of that question.

Here is the question I want to ask all of you folks who know your 1911s: What is it that sets Cabot apart from other semi custom gun manufacturers?

I've read around about them. I've read that the tolerances were amazing. I've read that the grip safety was hung in there very sloppily. I've read good and bad. I'm just asking here in the off chance that some of you have handled or purchased one of these guns.

All I know for sure about them is that they sure look pretty on the website for Cabot.
s&wfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 17:04   #2
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Nope,.....saw pictures from what they had at Shot Show.
Quality materials, innovative designs but poor fitment & craftsmanship!

Not worth even 1/3rd what they are asking for them to me.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 17:50   #3
ronin.45

If I can get a full custom from some of the biggest names in the business for less, I'm certainly not going to pay more for an unknown brand. I think BAC payed less than that for his Liebenberg/PD beauty.
Old 04-25-2013, 23:57   #4
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
If I can get a full custom from some of the biggest names in the business for less, I'm certainly not going to pay more for an unknown brand. I think BAC payed less than that for his Liebenberg/PD beauty.
Much less, in fact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09   #5
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

To me it seems like a bolt together assembly gun made on expensive equipment. Nothing handfit, nothing special. I would buy a Les Baer or something like that first. Actually, I would rather buy a Springer or Colt and send it to Chuck Rogers.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Chuck or Joes Chambers can do a heJJ of a lot more for less!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:29   #7
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Chuck or Joes Chambers can do a heJJ of a lot more for less!
No doubt Greg

So can quite a few others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31   #8
majette

Saw a couple at a big range about an hour and a half away from me. They were 4-5k and seeing them in person I was impressed. Very high quality and beautiful finish. Even if I could afford one the lack of a rail is a deal breaker.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:54   #9
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Grip safety fit, slide to ejector gaps, thumb safety fit.....all very poor
for a manufacturer demanding premium pricing.

It's a pig in a prom dress!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:55   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Oops.......double tap!

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 04-26-2013 at 08:56..
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
Saw a couple at a big range about an hour and a half away from me. They were 4-5k and seeing them in person I was impressed. Very high quality and beautiful finish. Even if I could afford one the lack of a rail is a deal breaker.
Interesting

I would like a to handle a couple of them.

Old 05-01-2013, 16:30   #12
Quack
Rent this space

I wasn't impressed with the Cabot's at SHOT. They would never say what the accuracy was, just "they shoot pretty good".
For the money that you are spending on it, the grip safety is fit poorly, the barrel fit was all over the place, they said they invented the front sight installation (actually Paul Liebenberg has been doing it for a while), the slide/frame fit wasn't as tight as i was expecting (from the numbers they are bragging about). The one thing that was nice about it was that a dry frame/slide cycled nice and smooth.

Here's some pics:

nice grip safety fit, eh?
also look at the corner of the grip hanging over near the MSH
1911 Forums

This is from Cabot's website. either it's the same gun they had at SHOT, or it's just showing that they can't fit a grip safety.
1911 Forums

here's the sight they said they innovated
1911 Forums

I didn't notice it, but one of the guns on display, the grip safety didn't work.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:31   #13
Quack
Rent this space

also the gun that Brian Zins used to win Camp Perry was a Cabot frame and slide that was built by a gunsmith and not Cabot.

Quack is offline   Reply With Quote