SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2013, 22:10   #1
BEER
bad example

well i just quit drinking.

had a hard day and once i closed it up for the day i didn't feel like cooking so i stopped by the diner in town for dinner and to see if my favorite little waitress was there. she was there picking up her last check so i convinced her to hang out while i ate and to talk. i finished eating and we were hanging out having a good time, probably a good 3 hours.

at some point when the waitress came by i started ordering beer instead of soda, and so did the waitress. there at the end i got brave and asked her if she wanted to get out of the joint and she said sure so i offered my place and she agreed. next thing i know we're sitting in my truck and i'm putting the keys in the ignition as if everything is normal.

every alarm bell in my body went haywire. at first i thought something was wrong with her. then it hit me, after a strong 25 year drinking career i'd finally slipped and was about to drive drunk.

i've always prided myself on the fact that my drinking has never cost me a job, a relationship, friend ship, or any sort of truly important event, and most importantly i'd never even been tempted to so much as drive to the corner store a block away no matter how drunk i was.

i explained to her that the night was over, and exactly why. i then walked back in and gave my keys to the diner owner and explained that i would be back for them tomorrow and why. i called a friend to come get me and drive me to the house at which point i poured out every last drop of liquor and beer i had in the house and on property.

it finally happened. alcohol got the better of me and i will not stand for that **** so i am done. cold turkey.

the next few days/weeks/months/years are going to be rough i'm sure so i want to apologize now for my behavior in the coming future. bare with me if you can, ignore me if you must.
Old 04-24-2013, 22:12   #2
HollowHead
Firm member

How ugly was she? HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 22:12   #3
Trapped_in_Kali

Congrats on spotting that and making that hard decision!
Good luck, the hardest part is making the decision.
Trapped_in_Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 22:13   #4
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

You can do it brother! Been there, quit that, couldn't be happier. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 22:40   #5
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhtn View Post
You can do it brother! Been there, quit that, couldn't be happier. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Lots of us have made the same call as you. Many of us weren't smart enough to drink for years without driving.

Good for you, sir. Stick with it. Your advantage (and its a big one) is that your decision was an intellectual choice, made of your own volition, rather than something you felt compelled to do after a near accident, a DUI or worse.

I'm thinking you'll do just fine.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 22:42   #6
Caver 60

I sincerely hope you can stay with that decision. Hang in there.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 22:52   #7
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Every man has his own bottom. For some its drug addicted homelessness. For others its jail time for driving drunk and hurting someone. Hopefully, for you, this was your bottom and you can now climb back out. If so, you got away just in time. Congrats. I was there. My bottom was court ordered AA after two alcohol offenses in six days and sit in the county clink. No more for me. That was 15 years ago.
Old 04-24-2013, 23:01   #8
BEER
bad example

i've been shot at. handled it.

been kicked square in the chest by a ticked off horse. handled it.

stabbed. handled it.

jumped and beaten damned near to death and left for dead. handled it.

this though? i'm not so sure. i grew up in a drinking culture around drinkers. drinking is simply what men folk did, and i've done it for over 20 years. what the hell do i do the next time i do a solid day's work, or have a rough day at work? how do i reward myself the next time my muscles ache, my head hurts, and i settle in for the night knowing that everything that needs doing is done?

the next time i put a line in the water am i supposed to just sip soda? i mean this is something that is literally ingrained in my dna. i don't scare easy but the thought of living the rest of my life without beer or liquor is terrifying. i know it's just 1 more fight in a long line of fights, and that booze is just 1 more enemy i have to beat, but this fight is the first that has ever scared me.

who or what am i if i fail to win a fight that i started myself?
Old 04-24-2013, 23:10   #9
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Congratulations on chocking the tire before the wagon rolled down the hill.

Best of luck tonight, tomorrow, and every sunrise/set thereafter.

TBO

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 23:13   #10
SMOKEin

Good luck. Dive into a hobby that you enjoy and use that to keep you busy and raise some endorphin's. Exercise, biking, photography, build model airplanes, etc.
Old 04-24-2013, 23:21   #11
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEin View Post
Good luck. Dive into a hobby that you enjoy and use that to keep you busy and raise some endorphin's. Exercise, biking, photography, build model airplanes, etc.
This is great advice. Joining a fitness center is a good place to start.
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 23:31   #12
Bill Keith

There are plenty of ways to deal with things other than cracking open a cold beer. Try hanging out with non-drinkers and see how they cope with life. Good on you for not driving drunk!
Bill Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 23:38   #13
jollygreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
How ugly was she? HH
You never disappoint. A typically idiotic, rude, low class post.
Old 04-24-2013, 23:52   #14
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Well, it's gonna be a test for sure since you associate it with other things you do in life, like fishing, stress relief, etc. Anyways, like the saying goes, you can do anything you put your mind to. You will just have to make different life choices for a little while and stay away from people who may put you back on the wrong path again. I wish you you the best of luck and hope you have good people around you that can help.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 00:17   #15
Riverkilt

Good decision. You may have some sleepless nights - that's normal. Lots of great folks at your local AA meetings - we're just folks like you who also decided we needed to quit and decided to have fun with it instead of do it alone. There's an AA meeting tomorrow/Thursday night at 7:30 at the Kenefick Southern Baptist Church
3536 FM 1008

Glock 42...somewhere you can't see
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 00:20   #16
Tiro Fijo

Beer, it is easier than you think. All you have to do is not drink today. Do that every day. That's all there is to it.

Worked for me for 9,672 days so far.

P.S. Change your GT name.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 00:25   #17
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

I quit drinking after a wedding reception years ago. Alcohol did not touch my lips for at least ten years. I drink now a bit. I might drink a beer every night. Having some wine now. Spirits-nope

I got tired of being never tasting the yummy beers and wine out there. Haven't been drunk since the night I tried to destroy that ******** waiter at the reception.

Besides, drinking now and then lets me use the "Can't come in, been drinking" excuse if work calls.

Good on you though. Alcohol destroys lives...or to be not so dramatic is can cause some real pain in the butt issues.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24   #18
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post

stabbed. handled it.

this though? i'm not so sure. i grew up in a drinking culture around drinkers. drinking is simply what men folk did, and i've done it for over 20 years. what the hell do i do the next time i do a solid day's work, or have a rough day at work? how do i reward myself the next time my muscles ache, my head hurts, and i settle in for the night knowing that everything that needs doing is done?

the next time i put a line in the water am i supposed to just sip soda? i mean this is something that is literally ingrained in my dna. i don't scare easy but the thought of living the rest of my life without beer or liquor is terrifying. i know it's just 1 more fight in a long line of fights, and that booze is just 1 more enemy i have to beat, but this fight is the first that has ever scared me.

Read that bolded part. Thats a problem my friend. Its dependance. You need it to be happy, to feel rewarded, or to get by(unwind). This is your chance, sieze it.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:33   #19
Dan_ntx

Made the same decision about 4 years ago...although I didn't get to pick up a cute waitress in the process. It was just time for a change of ritual.

For me it took a little time to get used to the change, but I physically felt better and that allowed me to take each challenging situation on with a better attitude and stronger will. I grew up in a beer drinking culture/family also, and I worked in the bar business for a number of years. I still have beer/wine offered at every family function and long ago stopped explaining why I choose iced tea. Also like you I can honestly say I absolutely did not drink and drive, I didn't want to ruin a good night with a very bad decision.

It is what it is, and I'm happy with my choice. I hope you find what makes you happy. Be careful of the public declarations, you will get lots of unsolicited advice (like this!) and pressure to contine. You have to do what is right for you, and as long as you stay off the roads and don't hurt yourself you are doing fine.
Dan_ntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01   #20
theblakester

"Search your heart with all diligence, for out if it flow the issues of life." Always be true to yourself. Dig deep, not shallow. I respect and commend your decision and your reasoning behind it. Maybe find a good support network who doesn't drink to associate with (friends/family members). Good luck sir.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:16   #21
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

I was sober for four years, AA helped greatly. I drink moderately now after I learned I don't need to get drunk when I drink.
The one line from the big book that stuck with me the most, despite the book being full of great advice was this: "we deal with alcohol: cunning, baffling, powerful!"
Don't ever forget that line.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:17   #22
southernshooter

beer

When I retired I weighed 205. After retirement I went up to 234 due to pigging out on tacos and beer. Got tired of the dehydration headaches and pot gut. Stopped drinking beer and almost immediately went down to 195. Being slim is way better than the short beer buzz. Drank beer from 29 years old until 62. Never missed it when I stopped. Next doctor visit, Doctor says "whoa, you blood pressure is getting too low, we will cut those meds in half"
Old 04-25-2013, 05:23   #23
eaglefrq
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post

stabbed. handled it.

You take it one day at a time. I felt the same way when I quit smoking over 15 years ago. What was I going to do the first time I had a drink? What was I going to do when I needed to calm down? All my friends smoked, who was I going to hang out with now?

One of the best pieces of information I heard from another ex-smoker was, "The urge will always be there. You have to take it one day at a time, and find other outlets to deal with stress, etc..."

At least you were smart enough to realize you had too many drinks to drive and you stopped yourself from doing that.

Good luck with this and you will be able to do this.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:37   #24
FPS

What is your new screen name going to be?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:00   #25
Combatcomm

Sir,
You have earned my respect. Just not driving that night was a good call if you felt you had to much to drink. Good luck at giving it up drinking if you still feel that it was getting out of hand. Best of luck to you!