Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2013, 18:15   #1
DennisP

Synthetic motor oil in cars

I dropped the hammer on a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Turbo the other day and I was wondering about the oil. How long should I wait to switch to a synthetic? and how long should I wait between oil changes with the synthetic? The manual only states first oil change at 3K and then every 4800 miles and doesn't have a diffrent recommendation for synthetic.

Thanks
Dennis P.
BIG DAWG #548
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:22   #2
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
I dropped the hammer on a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Turbo the other day and I was wondering about the oil. How long should I wait to switch to a synthetic? and how long should I wait between oil changes with the synthetic? The manual only states first oil change at 3K and then every 4800 miles and doesn't have a diffrent recommendation for synthetic.

Thanks
Dennis P.
I'd just do whatever the manual recommends. No sense in wasting money on synthetic if it doesn't need/call for it.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:24   #3
HollowHead
Firm member

What I do, and probably overkill:

1st at 500 with regular
2nd at 1500 with regular
3rd at 5000 with synthetic and then every 5000 after that.
HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:24   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I'd suggest that you stick with the factory recommendation. If your car were meant to be used with synthetic oil, then that's what they would have put in the oil pan.
Old 04-23-2013, 18:25   #5
racer11

This is a good place to go for advice. Best advantage that I can see with using synthetic oil,,,,,cold weather start up and quicker oil circulation in the engine,,,,,extended oil change interval's,,,amzoil claims 25K between changes,,,most synthetic's will give you 10K.

In addition a engine oil analyst from Blackstone Labs or some where like that will give you a good reading on what your oil is doing and how the engine is wearing and how long your oil change interval can be.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Last edited by racer11; 04-23-2013 at 18:32.. Reason: kant type worth a dam
racer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:30   #6
Patchman
Florist

The general rule of thumb is if your car doesn't require/recommend synthetic, you don't need to use it (warranty issues). It seems the milage recommendation is (very general rule of thumb) 5,000 miles for regular motor oil. 10,000 miles for synthetic oil.

Filters are usually good for 10,000 miles before risk of clogging. But change them at each oil change anyway.

As for that very first oil change (engine breaking in), for me it's been oil change at 2K to 3K. Then at 5K or 10K, depending on using regular oil/synthetic oil.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 04-23-2013 at 18:35..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:37   #7
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

The only way to know what oil change interval and type of oil are best for your vehicle is to submit samples from each change (and between changes) for oil analysis and track the results. That's what the manufacturers' engineers do and you can save yourself the trouble.

Unless your vehicle is in severe service of some sort, like many short trips with the engine never warming properly or severe heat or loading, you're wasting money and resources by changing oil more frequently than manufacturers' recommendations. Modern high quality dino oils are excellent and all that's required in most engines. Some makers call for synthetic oils in their engines, typically for turbocharged or very high specific output engines.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'

Last edited by oldgraywolf; 04-23-2013 at 18:40..
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:50   #8
jz2016

I do the first one at 1000 miles, then every 5000-6000 after depending on how it looks
jz2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:55   #9
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz2016 View Post
I do the first one at 1000 miles, then every 5000-6000 after depending on how it looks
Can you tell remaining detergent level, various wear metals content, pH, etc. by looking at it? Anything other than professional oil analysis is a WAG.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 18:58   #10
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz2016 View Post
Manual for my cr-v specifically stated NOT to change the oil early the first time and to wait for it to tell ou when to change it. It goes nearly 10,000 miles between changes.
Old 04-23-2013, 19:01   #11
XDRoX

I waited until 2000 miles in my wife's Accord. And then changed the oil (synthetic) every 8000 miles. Right now she has around 160k miles I think. Not a problem yet.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 19:05   #12
diggy485

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
What I do, and probably overkill:

1st at 500 with regular
2nd at 1500 with regular
3rd at 5000 with synthetic and then every 5000 after that.
HH
This is what I have done on rebuilds I've done.
I rebuilt my 3.8SC two years ago, and did almost that exact thing.
Synthetic oil is a great thing, almost better than pockets.
diggy485 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 19:12   #13
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
My Chevy crew cab "moniters" my oil use.

I go about 8,500-10,000 before it tells me to change the oil.

I switched to synthetic on the last change. I was at about 45k miles when I made the decision to change.

From here on out, I might change my own oil. Damn no-name synthetic oil changes are not cheap.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 19:23   #14
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post

I switched to synthetic on the last change. I was at about 45k miles when I made the decision to change.

From here on out, I might change my own oil. Damn no-name synthetic oil changes are not cheap.
GM is now setting oil standards on their vehicles, trucks anyway. They demand you use "Dexos1" standard oil 5w-30 in the 5.3l in my truck. The only oils that meet that standard are the full synthetics like Mobil 1.

I did my first change at 2500 and will follow a 7500 mile change after that.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 19:23   #15
pag23

I change mine every 5k with Mobil 1. No issues for over 100k miles and the oil pressure gauge still acts like it was when the vehicle was brand new. Synthetics have a higher temp range than conventional so you can go longer between changes. Does your vehicle have an oil life monitor?
Old 04-23-2013, 19:33   #16
Tvov

Quote:
then every 4800 miles
4800 miles?? How did they come up with that number? lol, why not 4,675 miles? I don't think an extra 200 miles is going to be an issue -- I change every 5000 miles because it is easier for my brain to keep track of.

I don't think synthetic is much of an advantage with regular, close oil changes - like less than 10,000 miles between changes. Certainly won't hurt though if you want to. For high performance engines some say it is important.

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 19:55   #17
sappy13

If it runs fine on regular, id leave it with regular. My car has a turbo too and it calls for full synthetic so thats what i give it. I ran it on regular for a while when i didnt have much money and it did not run as well. Might also be due to using regular instead of premium for the same reason.

I change my oil every 6k with full synthetic. At 3 it just doesnt seem to be worth it.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 19:56   #18
wlkjr

In my '97 Grand Prix GT, I changed the oil and filter every 5000 miles with Havoline 10W30. It recently turned over 400,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. Still runs pretty good. I used to do an oil analysis with Blackstone occasionally and it always came back good.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:12   #19
Z71bill

I have a 2010 Santa Fe --

Owners manual says every 12 months or 7,500 miles

Engine warranty is 10 years -

Chances are we will never keep it for this long

Dealer keeps sending me a coupon - $19.95- $29.95 - $34.99 - oil change - tire rotation - wash & vacuum

Can't hardly buy the oil and filter for this much -

I may change my opinion if I had to keep the vehicle for more than 100K / 10 years - maybe cut it down to 10 months 6k miles.

Why would I change it more that required?
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:12   #20
sputnik767

Quote:

Thanks
Dennis P.
If your manual states that your first oil change should be at 3k and no earlier, then you should follow it. Chances are, the first oil has some additives that promote proper break-in. If it says just to do the first oil change earlier, you can do it sooner than 3k if you wish.

Without starting a debate about regular vs synthetic vs running what the manual specifies, a good quality synthetic oil is better than even the best quality regular. Note, I'm not saying "dino oil" or anything like that, because most synthetics on the market are also "dino oil." Amsoil, Royal Purple, and a couple others are the exception, but they tend to cost around $8 a quart. Still, Mobil 1 is better than Castrol, Mobil, etc. What you have to consider is the cost of maintenance vs how long you plan to keep your car. If you do your own oil changes and plan on keeping your car until the wheels fall off, absolutely synthetic is the way to go. If you plan to sell the car in 5 years, just do regular.

No matter what oil you choose, while your car is under warranty, do the oil changes at intervals specified in the manual. After that, you can probably extend it. However, your car is a turbo, which is tougher on oils. While I can safely do 10k OCIs on Mobil 1, you probably shouldn't. And generally, I don't wait until 10k. Don't listen to comments like "if they meant to run synthetic oil, they would have put it in the oil pan." Cost-cutting measures from a manufacturer should not be considered as the gold-standard approach to maintenance. Like I said before, it is possible that they are running a special break-in oil, in which case you'd be advised to follow their recommendations for the first oil change. And a few manufacturers do run Mobil 1 as factory fill.

What I did:
First oil change at 1200 miles to Mobil 1, and have been running Mobil 1 ever since. Currently at 10 years and 105k miles, with the truck still running like the day I drove it off the lot.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:26   #21
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
The general rule of thumb is if your car doesn't require/recommend synthetic, you don't need to use it (warranty issues).
As long as the synthetic meets the API specifications (which most easily exceed the applicable specs) there is no warranty issue.

Synthetics provide better viscosity properties at the extremes of temperatures, ie. starts in cold weather and hard use in hot weather.

Several years ago, we ran a Porsche 2.7rs (air & oil cooled) motor on the track on conventional oil in the morning, then changed to synthetic for the afternoon. Even though the track temperatures were warmer in the afternoon, the engine ran several degrees cooler on the synthetic than conventional oil. This means that the synthetic properties reduce friction and/or have a greater heat capacity; both of which are good.

On the same motor, at about 18k track miles the owner wanted to preemptively rebuild the motor. (It's easier and cheaper to rebuild a running motor than one that quits running at 7600 rpm). None of the parts had discernible wear - we could still see the shear markings on the piston rings. All of the parts required only a wipe with paper towels to measure and prep for reassembly. The was absolutely no sludge of any kind in the case.

Synthetics are particularly good where the oil is exposed to high temperatures - such as air/oil cooled motors (like the 993 and earlier 911 series), engines with piston oil squirters, turbochargers, etc.

You might make the argument that for most street applications there isn't much benefit to synthetic oils - but it just isn't correct to say that they are detrimental provided that the specs on the container match the engine manufacturer requirements.
Old 04-23-2013, 20:27   #22
ChiefWPD

I read these “What Oil/When Should I Change my Oil” threads all the time. I like to see what various guys are doing. Not sure it matters all that much. I base this observation after having read so many comments for so many differing recommendations such as; “Works for me!” and “My car/truck/motorcycle has 100,000 on (insert brand name) oil which I change at (insert mileage) intervals.”

Here’s my theory, for what it’s worth; guys who worry about oil type, mileage intervals between changes and which is the best filter to use are all conscientious owners who properly maintain their vehicles. And that’s their secret of success. They do their preventive maintenance on some regular basis, keep an eye out on their machines and generally are responsible car/truck/auto owners.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, yeah; I use Mobil 1 in all my cars. They sit for six months a year (I bounce between Cape Cod and AZ). Just before I leave (and I mean like a day or two before) at either location I change my cars oil/filter. Put Stabil in the gasoline, pull my batteries (they go on smart chargers), put 40 lbs air in my tires and when I come back in 6 months just turn the key and it's like I never left.

Last edited by ChiefWPD; 04-23-2013 at 20:30..
ChiefWPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:44   #23
Crazy KD

The search tool is a wonderful thing....This topic comes up every month or so and I'll give you my $0.02 as an engineer who used to work for an engine company in engine/durability testing.....

Follow the manufacturers recommendation. It is that simple. If they say use standard motor oil then use standard oil. That is what they did all the engine development with and trust me you will never come close to what we do with engines. The major advantage of synthetic oil is in extended service intervals and you'll void your warranty if you don't follow the standard service intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCsilver View Post

Most oil monitors in vehicles use a calculation based on duty cycle/fuel consumption. It doesn't actually monitor the oil. Just like fuel consumption numbers are also just calculations based on what the ECM is saying for the fuel system to inject. It doesn't actually measure anything.

It is pretty accurate, but it is just a calculation based on assumptions.
Crazy KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:50   #24
TransAm-98

I run Amsoil 10-40 in my Trailblazer for probably around 10k, maybe a little more. I run the same oil in my Trans-Am but I don't remember the last time that thing even hit 3k miles in a year. So I just try to change in maybe twice a year.
TransAm-98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 20:53   #25
svtpwnz

I use Royal Purple and change it every 10-15k miles or so. My Pilot is getting ready to hit 100k miles and runs just as well as the day I bought it.
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote