SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2013, 13:01   #1
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

The things people say out loud in public

My oldest daughter is gonna make a great mom. She just is spectacular with her brother - 11 years her junior. She has natural Mommy skills that help us out so often.

Two years ago, Sam, then 14, was taking my son, then 2, up the escalator at the mall. She was shuttling him between me and the mommerator.

This woman behind them struck up a conversation with Sam.

"They sure do love their mommies."

Sam didn't think anything of it. She was going from me to my wife, so I guess she just thought, "Yeah, that's why I'm taking him there."

The get to the top of the escalator and the woman pulls Sam and Buddy aside.

"I'm praying for your difficult family situation."

Oh man we got a good laugh out of that one. What a self-rightous tool. She ASSUMED that Buddy was Sam's kid. Never thought to ask.

So fast-foward to yesterday. I'm at BJ's with said Sam, Buddy and Sam's BF. I send the couple to stand in line for a decade at the deli while I shop. At some point, Buddy wants "to be with Sissy." We totter over (he's now 5) and I drop him with them and go off to shop for other items.

Last night, on the way home from dropping the BF off, Sam tells me some woman came up to them in the deli. At the time, my son was in Sam's arms with his head down. Now he has light hair like my side of the family and his skin is darker - naturally tan - from the AI side of my wife's family. Sam is blonder than blond with pale skin. BF is Hispanic.

The woman comes up to Sam and BF and says:

"It's so great to see that the two of you stayed together."

x4!! Sam wasn't too happy about this one. "Why do people think he's MY SON? And why do they think I'm fooling around at 14??? Or 11????!!!!"

What a country. I guess too many people watch 16 and Preggers on MTV. LOL
Old 04-22-2013, 13:12   #2
Batesmotel

My young (16 at the time?) sister in law took my daughter to get an ice cream cone and a lady at a table did the "tisk tisk tisk" thing and said "what a shame". She didn't get it. When she asked us why she would say that she was mortified someone would think she was the mother. We are talking about the ultra stereotype of a straight laced mormon girl.
Old 04-22-2013, 13:14   #3
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

My son, ( who is autistic) and I were at Outback years ago. He's super high functioning, so I usually don't worry....Until....
The hostess was a midget...uh oh.
She says cheerfully "table for 4?"
My son eyes her up and says " hey, I'm quite a bit taller than you".
I about died. After sitting down, I went to apologize. She laughed and said no problem.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 13:16   #4
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Truth be told - he was taller than her.
Old 04-22-2013, 13:20   #5
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Truth be told - he was taller than her.
By a foot and a half!

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
Old 04-22-2013, 13:57   #6
M2 Carbine

Quote:
My oldest daughter is gonna make a great mom. She just is spectacular with her brother - 11 years her junior.
Sounds like you have some great kids.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 14:13   #7
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWyandotte View Post
My son, ( who is autistic) and I were at Outback years ago. He's super high functioning, so I usually don't worry....Until....
The hostess was a midget...uh oh.
She says cheerfully "table for 4?"
My son eyes her up and says " hey, I'm quite a bit taller than you".
I about died. After sitting down, I went to apologize. She laughed and said no problem.

My mother will often remind me of my first midget sighting. I'm told I went total slack jaw and with concern in my voice asked "do they let you drive??"
Old 04-22-2013, 20:22   #8
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
Sounds like you have some great kids.
Thanks. They are. Must be the mom.

My mother tells stories of me in KMart twlking really loud at 4 or 5 about people in the checkout. This is 1973.

"Look ma! It's Jesus!"

"Ma! Do you see that fat lady in front of us? Boy is she fat!"

Again - must be their mother. Lol
Old 04-22-2013, 20:36   #9
686Owner
NRA Life Member

We went to the zoo the other day and pulled up next to a Ford Fiesta in the parking lot in our Honda Pilot. My 5 year old said "Look at that little car! How can anyone possibly fit in it?"

Guess she hasn't seen a smart car yet!

Last edited by 686Owner; 04-22-2013 at 20:36..
686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 21:02   #10
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Most strangers feel so much better thinking the worst of others.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 21:17   #11
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
My oldest daughter is gonna make a great mom. She just is spectacular with her brother - 11 years her junior. She has natural Mommy skills that help us out so often.

Two years ago, Sam, then 14, was taking my son, then 2, up the escalator at the mall. She was shuttling him between me and the mommerator.

This woman behind them struck up a conversation with Sam.

"They sure do love their mommies."

Sam didn't think anything of it. She was going from me to my wife, so I guess she just thought, "Yeah, that's why I'm taking him there."

The get to the top of the escalator and the woman pulls Sam and Buddy aside.

"I'm praying for your difficult family situation."

Oh man we got a good laugh out of that one. What a self-rightous tool. She ASSUMED that Buddy was Sam's kid. Never thought to ask.

So fast-foward to yesterday. I'm at BJ's with said Sam, Buddy and Sam's BF. I send the couple to stand in line for a decade at the deli while I shop. At some point, Buddy wants "to be with Sissy." We totter over (he's now 5) and I drop him with them and go off to shop for other items.

Last night, on the way home from dropping the BF off, Sam tells me some woman came up to them in the deli. At the time, my son was in Sam's arms with his head down. Now he has light hair like my side of the family and his skin is darker - naturally tan - from the AI side of my wife's family. Sam is blonder than blond with pale skin. BF is Hispanic.

The woman comes up to Sam and BF and says:

"It's so great to see that the two of you stayed together."

x4!! Sam wasn't too happy about this one. "Why do people think he's MY SON? And why do they think I'm fooling around at 14??? Or 11????!!!!"

What a country. I guess too many people watch 16 and Preggers on MTV. LOL
Those women are so ready to assume your daughter is sleeping around at 11 or 12... Makes you wonder what they did in their youth that makes them think that is such normal behavior? Bunch 'a judgy hoes...
Mr Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 21:20   #12
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I was embarrassed as hell when my then 4 year old called a 10 year old boy a f'n fag in front of of 20 people. When we confronted her, I asked why she said that. She said, because she saw him kiss a boy, and that f'n was an adjective.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 23:35   #13
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

I am your typical OFWG(Old Fat White Guy) and I grew up in a mid-western small town. I was about four the first time I saw a black person. My mom loves to tell the story. In the middle of a JCPenny store I announced "Mommy look! That man is BLACK!!! LOOK HE'S BLACK!" and started freaking out. My mom said it was mortifying at first. Then the man came over and kneeled down in front of me and said something along the lines of "Yes, I am see." and pulled his shirt sleeves up. He talked to me for a few minutes and when he went to leave he told my mom "He seems like a real great kid, you are doing a good job mom."

Looking back on the situation later in life it was a great thing that he did. Instead of being upset, offended, or something like that, he used it as an opportunity to help ME, a little white kid he never met. He was an older man, so I am sure he is long gone, but I wish I could run into him again.
Old 04-22-2013, 23:52   #14
HollowHead
Firm member

My two favorites are overheard cellphone arguments, both women. One was, "You're not the first alcoholic I've married!" overheard at an adjoining diner booth and the second was, "I'm not a whore, I'm just short on money!" from behind me in line to check into a Super 8. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 23:54   #15
OhioGlock90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCounty View Post
My mother will often remind me of my first midget sighting. I'm told I went total slack jaw and with concern in my voice asked "do they let you drive??"
This is the funniest thing I have ever read on GT!! My mom always tells the story when I was 3 or 4 and I was at the doctors office when a large woman walked in. In a packed waiting room I yelled out mom look that lady is really fat! She replays hey don't say that, to which I reply we'll she is! I can't imagine how embarrassing that was, I know my kid will do the same to me someday.....

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 00:04   #16
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Watching MTV these days will do that you. Or it could just be the weird people that shop at BJ's. I was shopping at the one in Seekonk on Sunday afternoon. Had to pick up a couple things because we were having people over and I figured I'd pickup a cheesecake for dessert while I was there. As I'm walking up to the bakery, there is a crazy woman who literally picked up every single cheesecake (about 40 of them) and inspected it. I had to walk away and get my other stuff, and when I came back she was still there inspecting them. I just grabbed whatever one I could and got the hell outta there.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03   #17
hockeyrcks9901

Reminds me of the story of the first time my uncle took me to use the restroom at a public place with urinals. My mother was a single parent so she normally took me in the ladies room. I'm told that after a couple seconds at the urinal I yell out "Uncle hockey, you have a big *****!"

I laugh everyone I hear that story...
hockeyrcks9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:18   #18
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

My son again-
During potty training age, he had just mastered the art of peeing standing up.
We were at a baseball game, lined up at the 25' silver trough. My son(like most little ones) dropped his pants all the way to his ankles. He and I are standing side by side. I start to pee and he loudly yells "GOOD BOY DADDY, GOOD BOY!!!" while patting my butt.
The whole bathroom erupted in laughter...and then applause.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40   #19
byf43
NRA Life Member

When my oldest son was 5 years old, his mom, he and I, were in Toy-R-Us buying some 'stuff', and we were in the checkout line.

Steven was standing between me (at the back) and his mom (in the front) of the line.

Steven bent over, inhaled deeply, and said, "Whoaaaaa!!!!! Mom!!!!! Have you been eating beans???"

I thought my wife was gonna die.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02   #20
cmb19

This thread is awesome.

I know I've had people say lots of weird things to me...the best one that I can remember right now was some guy that was at my job. I have a scar on my throat from a trache, I don't think it's that obvious, but maybe more people see it than I realize. Anyway, he looks at me and goes, "What happened to your neck? Did your boyfriend slit your throat?" I think I told him yes and let him think I was serious for a few minutes before I told him the truth.
cmb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:15   #21
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
I was embarrassed as hell when my then 4 year old called a 10 year old boy a f'n fag in front of of 20 people. When we confronted her, I asked why she said that. She said, because she saw him kiss a boy, and that f'n was an adjective.
Another kid you can't discipline b/c they are technically correct. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
I am your typical OFWG(Old Fat White Guy) and I grew up in a mid-western small town. I was about four the first time I saw a black person. My mom loves to tell the story. In the middle of a JCPenny store I announced "Mommy look! That man is BLACK!!! LOOK HE'S BLACK!" and started freaking out. My mom said it was mortifying at first. Then the man came over and kneeled down in front of me and said something along the lines of "Yes, I am see." and pulled his shirt sleeves up. He talked to me for a few minutes and when he went to leave he told my mom "He seems like a real great kid, you are doing a good job mom."

Looking back on the situation later in life it was a great thing that he did. Instead of being upset, offended, or something like that, he used it as an opportunity to help ME, a little white kid he never met. He was an older man, so I am sure he is long gone, but I wish I could run into him again.
Great story. Good job, Mr. Whoeveryouwere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter7 View Post
Watching MTV these days will do that you. Or it could just be the weird people that shop at BJ's. I was shopping at the one in Seekonk on Sunday afternoon. Had to pick up a couple things because we were having people over and I figured I'd pickup a cheesecake for dessert while I was there. As I'm walking up to the bakery, there is a crazy woman who literally picked up every single cheesecake (about 40 of them) and inspected it. I had to walk away and get my other stuff, and when I came back she was still there inspecting them. I just grabbed whatever one I could and got the hell outta there.
Her SO is in jail - she's looking for the one with the file baked into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb19 View Post
This thread is awesome.

I know I've had people say lots of weird things to me...the best one that I can remember right now was some guy that was at my job. I have a scar on my throat from a trache, I don't think it's that obvious, but maybe more people see it than I realize. Anyway, he looks at me and goes, "What happened to your neck? Did your boyfriend slit your throat?" I think I told him yes and let him think I was serious for a few minutes before I told him the truth.
Wow. I think my daughter has met his mother and aunt.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53   #22
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
Bigotry and hate ARE usually learned at home...

Quite charming.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:11   #23
KevinFACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechRedneck View Post
Bigotry and hate ARE usually learned at home...

Quite charming.
If not at home, at school where all the other kids that have been taught that spread the word like a virus.
KevinFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41   #24
Mr Spock
Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFACE View Post
If not at home, at school where all the other kids that have been taught that spread the word like a virus.
4 years old - that's from home.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44   #25
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Dennis posted "preggers".'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote