Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:40   #1
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

I'm a bad parent because I own guns

Yup, it's official.

This weekend was my brother's 50th birthday. About 40 people attended the party, including some of our left-leaning family members. Normally we all tolerate each other very well, and political discussions usually end up being fun games were we rib and poke fun at each other.

This was not one of those times.

Near the end, almost everyone left except the family members who were staying in town. One of them saddles up next to me in a chair and we start catching up. We start talking about my son, who is playing with his tablet in front of us.

She tells me - "I can't believe he's still awake! He's so well behaved."

I explain to her that him being this quiet is him being tired, and tell her that he only had a 30 minute nap today. "Why?" she asks.

Long story short, my wife and child and I went to a gunshow that morning. My son enjoys seeing all the "pew pews" and it was the first show my wife and I had gone to together in almost a year.

Well the relative flips out! I wont bother with my responses - since most of you would echo them - but here are few of her notable statements:

"You have guns in the house??? With a child??? Please tell me he's never seen them!"

"You can't tell me that you want your child to know how to handle a gun! Look how sweet he is, why would you introduce him to a life of evil?"

"Don't you understand that you're exposing him to something you have no right to? You're essentially making his choices for him!"

"If I were you, I'd turn all your weapons over to the cops. You have no right to have them in the same house as a child!"

And the best one, "Please tell me you don't have any assault weapons!"

I did the normal, factual, defense - guns are used in fewer crimes than blah blah, it's only an object, etc, etc.

By the end of the night, she is BAWLING telling me that I was a poor parent for introducing my child to a life of aggression. At one point she tries to recruit my wife to her side - when she finds out my wife owns two guns and wants more...well...that was the last straw.

As she storms to bed, she says with all of her haughty, British accent " Well I hope you two aren't planning on having any more children."

Nice.

Take also that this is a 60 year old woman who's never had a child.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43   #2
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUAdman View Post
Yup, it's official.

This weekend was my brother's 50th birthday. About 40 people attended the party, including some of our left-leaning family members. Normally we all tolerate each other very well, and political discussions usually end up being fun games were we rib and poke fun at each other.

This was not one of those times.

Near the end, almost everyone left except the family members who were staying in town. One of them saddles up next to me in a chair and we start catching up. We start talking about my son, who is playing with his tablet in front of us.

She tells me - "I can't believe he's still awake! He's so well behaved."

I explain to her that him being this quiet is him being tired, and tell her that he only had a 30 minute nap today. "Why?" she asks.

Long story short, my wife and child and I went to a gunshow that morning. My son enjoys seeing all the "pew pews" and it was the first show my wife and I had gone to together in almost a year.

Well the relative flips out! I wont bother with my responses - since most of you would echo them - but here are few of her notable statements:

"You have guns in the house??? With a child??? Please tell me he's never seen them!"

"You can't tell me that you want your child to know how to handle a gun! Look how sweet he is, why would you introduce him to a life of evil?"

"Don't you understand that you're exposing him to something you have no right to? You're essentially making his choices for him!"

"If I were you, I'd turn all your weapons over to the cops. You have no right to have them in the same house as a child!"

And the best one, "Please tell me you don't have any assault weapons!"

I did the normal, factual, defense - guns are used in fewer crimes than blah blah, it's only an object, etc, etc.

By the end of the night, she is BAWLING telling me that I was a poor parent for introducing my child to a life of aggression. At one point she tries to recruit my wife to her side - when she finds out my wife owns two guns and wants more...well...that was the last straw.

As she storms to bed, she says with all of her haughty, British accent " Well I hope you two aren't planning on having any more children."

Nice.

Take also that this is a 60 year old woman who's never had a child.
Was this at your house?

She would have been sleeping in her car if she tried that at mine.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44   #3
kensb2
pistol n00b

I personally can't wait for my son to be old enough that I can buy him his first .22 rifle. Something my father never did for me.
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45   #4
magman687

Wow that was way over the top on her part. By the way it sounds you doing a good job with you family brother.

magman687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:47   #5
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
Was this at your house?

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Just tell her, "Yeah, so? Roll Tide!"

If her British accent is real you could always remind her that the Brits thought they had the right to tell Americans whether we could or could not own firearms about 230ish years ago. We respectfully disagreed and after a number of years of aggressive negotiation the British agreed with our point of view.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51   #7
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Was this at your house?

]
+100

Family or not she was way out of line.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:53   #8
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Quote:
Was this at your house?

Yep. And on a plane back to Londonistan ASAP.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:54   #9
John Rambo
Raven

I would've suggested she seek counseling. That woman has some problems.
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:55   #10
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Was this at your house?

No, it was at my brother's house. It's his step-mother. She's usually not this crazy, so I dont know what sent her off the edge. They have guns in her house, and my nephew was running around with a little toy rifle as we were talking.

She did, before going to the bedroom, confront some of my liberal cousins - who are avid hunters and fishers. They dont have kids so I guess it's okay for them in her mind.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56   #11
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Just tell her, "Yeah, so? Roll Tide!"

Old 04-22-2013, 11:57   #12
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:

THAT is when she would have been shown the door at my house.

You sir, are a better man than I

You have no right my arse ...

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:59   #13
Pawcatch@aol.co

She's obviously set in her beliefs,so I would have really got in her face if she said anything like that to me.Alex Jones style!!!

I've had it with playing nice with these people.Every time she tried to speak I would have shouted her down.
Pawcatch@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01   #14
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Wow. Some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02   #15
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by magman687 View Post
Wow that was way over the top on her part. By the way it sounds you doing a good job with you family brother.

Thanks - we try hard to educate him on the pros and cons of as much as we can. He can sort the rest out when he's old enough. We run a modified version of the Eddy Eagle/NRA child gun education program and it's worked well.

My son's only two, but he's been to numerous gunshows. He knows he can point at the guns, but he knows he cannot touch one unless an adult is holding it, and NEVER touch the trigger. He knows where the guns are stored in the house and knows he can't enter that room.

Obviously when he is older, the rules will be amended. Hell, he may choose never to own a firearm in his life - but at least he wont have an irrational fear of them!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09   #16
kensb2
pistol n00b

On second thought, she's right. You ARE a terrible parent. Therefore, you should send all of your guns to me immediately at no charge. This way, we can save your son from growing up to be a gang-banger or violent terrorist. I'll PM you the name of a local FFL....
Old 04-22-2013, 12:09   #17
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawcatch@aol.co View Post
She's obviously set in her beliefs,so I would have really got in her face if she said anything like that to me.Alex Jones style!!!

I've had it with playing nice with these people.Every time she tried to speak I would have shouted her down.
Normally this is exactly how I would have acted. This year I have taken it as my responsibility to be just as loud and preachy as the left when confronted about my beliefs. May not be the right way, but so be it.

However, since it was my brother's house and party, and it was family, I was trying to weave a tapestry of positive facts and arguments. Neither one of us was going to give an inch, and it just didnt work out well.

You just can't debate with some people - and that's understandable - you should want people to be firm in their beliefs. However you don't start saying things like what she said... That's just too far.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:10   #18
mgs
Always Carrying

Geeezzz. My kids turned out fine. One is an Engineer and the other a Teacher with her own Glock 19. My son said his 870 SP Mag is all he needs right now. My kids call my 13'x20' Den Dad's Gun Shop.....one stop shop and no waiting period for family. It's important to support them and encourage personal responsibility!
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11   #19
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
On second thought, she's right. You ARE a terrible parent. Therefore, you should send all of your guns to me immediately at no charge. This way, we can save your son from growing up to be a gang-banger or violent terrorist. I'll PM you the name of a local FFL....
I'm gonna need to run a background check first. I can run one for $50 - if you'd send the check and your SSN I can start getting the process started today. Oh, and your bank routing number.

And...just for conversations sake, what's your mother's maiden name?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:14   #20
kensb2
pistol n00b

Quote:
I'm gonna need to run a background check first. I can run one for $50 - if you'd send the check and your SSN I can start getting the process started today. Oh, and your bank routing number.

And...just for conversations sake, what's your mother's maiden name?

PM sent. Didyou need a copy of my fingerprints as well, just to be sure? I have that Lifelock stuff, no way MY identity can be stolen....
Old 04-22-2013, 12:14   #21
elliotb33

seems like she was *****ing for a while, after a few min I would have told her to f off.
elliotb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16   #22
Ragnar

Quote:
Was this at your house?

Yep. And not in my driveway either.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17   #23
Pawcatch@aol.co

Quote:
Normally this is exactly how I would have acted. This year I have taken it as my responsibility to be just as loud and preachy as the left when confronted about my beliefs. May not be the right way, but so be it.

However, since it was my brother's house and party, and it was family, I was trying to weave a tapestry of positive facts and arguments. Neither one of us was going to give an inch, and it just didnt work out well.

You just can't debate with some people - and that's understandable - you should want people to be firm in their beliefs. However you don't start saying things like what she said... That's just too far.
That's very admirable of you respecting your brother's house.
I don't get along with brother's wife at all,so I'm rarely in his house now.
Pawcatch@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21   #24
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
PM sent. Didyou need a copy of my fingerprints as well, just to be sure? I have that Lifelock stuff, no way MY identity can be stolen....

You have lifelock? Great - just call them and up me as a cosignee and we'll be good, haha.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27   #25
PVolk

I'm so thankful that I have not one single family member that leans that far left and feels fearful about firearms. So thankful...

Last edited by PVolk; 04-22-2013 at 12:28..
PVolk is offline   Reply With Quote