Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:25   #1
Billy10mm

A Rant

Here it is the next day and I'm still PO'd - pretty much at everyone. I wanted to do one thing this weekend, go the range with the new H&K P30S my wife just received. That's it, just one thing.

Saturday I wasn't able to be cause of things my wife wanted me to take care of, but that was okay, because I had time after my kids swim lessons Sunday morning to go for a few hours. Later Sunday afternoon, my wife's family is coming over for dinner - but that's not till 4PM so I have plenty of time to go to the range.

At swimming, I turn to my wife to remind her that as soon as we get home I'm grabbing my gear and heading out to the range and I see the surprise in her eyes. Oh no. Turns out her oldest sister had asked her to move dinner a few hours earlier because she wants to make it to her own swimming lesson in Brooklyn at 6PM. So my wife moved it up to 1PM, at her sister's request, and since she has to start cooking immediately when she gets home, I get relegated to clean-the-house duty. Okay. Am I upset? A little, but at least my wife is really apologetic and is acknowledging how screwed up this is to me.

So we rush home from swimming and I tell the kids there is no TV, we have to clean. One of them is putting away toys, the other is putting away books. I'm making the bed, vacuuming, and scrubbing down the bathroom. At 1:05 we finish, sweating. House looks good. No one is here yet.

1:15, 1:30, 1:45, 2:00, 2:15 ...

2:21 the oldest sister sends my wife a text message saying that she's waiting for mom (she was going to be picking up mom and another sister on her way up here from the city) and will be late. (NO, really!?!?)

Minutes later, the phone rings, its my wife's brother. He's calling to tell us that he just left his house (in NJ) and hit bridge traffic, and that he's going to be late. (What The !@^#%$&)

3:10 - everyone arrives at the same time. One out of 6 adults make a passing comment as they walk in the door, "Hi, sorry we're late ....". The oldest sister starts complaining about how mom held up her, and now she's going to have to rush to make it to her swimming class. I walked away, went to our bedroom, and tried to calm down. On what planet is this behavior acceptable?

I was livid the entire night. I'm typically a pretty jovial person. When the oldest sister at one point asks me why I look mad, I told her that I didn't sleep well because of allergies. A bottle of wine later I was feeling better, but as soon as the wine wore off later that night, I was livid again. Barely slept last night. Those two hours would have been perfect range time. I think the worst part is that my wife hasn't said anything to anyone. I understand why - no one in her family accepts fault for anything at any time. Everything is always someone else's fault, so if she says something, they'll just start blaming other people and refuse to acknowledge their own actions - so it just becomes a lose-lose.

But that just makes me more enraged. &*^!#$%(^$%!#(*$%!

Sorry, had to rant. Range is closed today, but I'll be taking off work tomorrow and doing whatever the hell I damn well please including putting lots of 9mm and 10mm holes in paper and various other water-filled objects. Maybe I'll go see Oblivion too and dream of a world where I get to send people at will to an empty planet.
H&K P30S 9mm
Ruger SR22
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27   #2
USMCgs3

I hate in-laws.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
USMCgs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39   #3
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Ah, stuff happens. Even if they informed you ever second of their current status starting at 1pm, you wouldn't have gotten out. Best to just let it go.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08   #4
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Life is to short to sweat stuff like that. Not saying you can't be annoyed about it not getting to have some range time. But being upset about it still seems a bit much to me.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15   #5
9jeeps
Fogey

Why we long time quit having folks over for dinner. We meet in a restaurant. Wait 15 minutes then order. Don't even have to do the dishes. Life is good!
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39   #6
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

People who get invited to dinner at our house know that if they pull that sort of thing on us it will be their last invite. That goes for family too. Fortunately my inlaws are just fine.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43   #7
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Life is to short to sweat stuff like that. Not saying you can't be annoyed about it not getting to have some range time. But being upset about it still seems a bit much to me.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07   #8
DanaT
Pharaoh

So what I read is the OP was not adequately prepared for the day. He seemed to run out alcohol.

Lesson: make sure and have enough wine (beer or hard stuff) on hand to make it through the day with family.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:14   #9
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
So what I read is the OP was not adequately prepared for the day. He seemed to run out alcohol.

Lesson: make sure and have enough wine (beer or hard stuff) on hand to make it through the day with family.
First thing to make me laugh in 24 hours. Thanks for that, and all joking aside, I think I'll take you up on that recommendation.
H&K P30S 9mm
Ruger SR22
Old 04-22-2013, 11:14   #10
mhambi
Hegemon

Was dessert served in a timely fashion?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:17   #11
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

It's things like this that sometimes make me wish I was still single. Life is simpler and more enjoyable.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:30   #12
jcrow

Go hug your wife and kids and be thankful they are safe and healthy.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
jcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45   #13
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhambi View Post
Second thing to make me laugh. I'm glad I posted. =)
H&K P30S 9mm
Ruger SR22
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21   #14
Bruce M

Sorry your day was screwed up. I guess it is a balancing act between your desires and family desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post

Quote:
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:32   #15
mhambi
Hegemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Second thing to make me laugh. I'm glad I posted. =)
Hopefully you'll get out shooting soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:42   #16
Hamilton Burger
Incompetent

Communication breakdown:
If your wife had kept you in the loop you could've had the oldest sister meet you at the pool for the kid's lesson, thrown her in the deep end, and been at the range by 1:00.

With dinner that early, I would've just gone to the range afterward. Doesn't sound like the latecomers were interested in visiting anyway, just a free meal.

Last edited by Hamilton Burger; 04-22-2013 at 12:48..
Hamilton Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47   #17
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
It's things like this that sometimes make me wish I was still single. Life is simpler and more enjoyable.

Yeah, but single people are less happy and die sooner.

OP, Your wife owes you a day at the range.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.

Last edited by Psychman; 04-22-2013 at 12:47..
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48   #18
mgs
Always Carrying

Feel your pain! Time to me is precious. Come Summer, I boat when it's not raining on weekends......plan a Wedding or some big Family Party May 25 - Sept 6th....don't plan on seeing me there. I keep it simple.
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49   #19
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
It was, but it sat in the dish for 30 min while everyone stared at it.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50   #20
LSUAdman
Pew Pew

That sucks. I don't think people who are not punctual know how much is ticks those of us who are.

I've always been a "get their early/stay late" kinda person. Now having a family, I realize that you gotta squeeze every last ounce out of a day to get anything done. All it takes is one person being 30 minutes later to throw off the whole rhythm.

Enjoy the range day tomorrow!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:52   #21
Roering
Sorting nuts

Just think of the quality time you got to spend with family...
Old 04-22-2013, 13:11   #22
Glotin

With all the **** going on in the world you seriously lost a night of sleep because you didn't get to take your new toy to the range on a particular weekend?

The Law
Glotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 14:12   #23
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glotin View Post
With all the **** going on in the world you seriously lost a night of sleep because you didn't get to take your new toy to the range on a particular weekend?

Hey, he still has to live and enjoy the time he has here.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 14:28   #24
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
It was, but it sat in the dish for 30 min while everyone stared at it.
Oh the horrors!

OP, your wife's family is kinda jerky. Move further away!
Old 04-22-2013, 14:46   #25
Billy10mm

Quote:
Hopefully you'll get out shooting soon.
Took tomorrow off from work. Going to do whatever the hell I want to do tomorrow. Likely will see a movie or two and get some quality range time in. The added benefit is that, not being a weekend, the range should be pretty empty.
H&K P30S 9mm
Ruger SR22