GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11   #1
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out
 
HerrGlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 64,411


Mental health professionals object to NYSAFE Actís effects

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...WS03/704219888
__________________
Sent from my rotary phone
"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a banjo!"- Linus Van Pelt
UNIX - Not just for Vestal Virgins any more
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52   #2
Mushinto
Master Member
 
Mushinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Posts: 12,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
It's about time.
__________________
ML

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22   #3
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,255


The Jefferson County Mental Health Association isn't alone in their opposition. The New York State Nursing Association has also written Governor Cuomo voicing the same concerns.

The fear is that there are potentially THOUSANDS of people statewide that have wholly treatable/manageable mental health issues that will now refuse to seek treatment out of fear that doing so might put them on some government list of "unfit" persons, or even get their property taken away. Without treatment, some of those thousands of people will eventually snap.

The end result is that the NYSAFE Act could actually create MORE Adam Lanza's and spur MORE Sandy Hook-style shootings.

But it's for the children, right?
__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 13:52   #4
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe
 
BobbyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In The Noise
Posts: 2,095
Pfffttt. When did logic and critical thinking ever get anybody in NYC anywhere?
__________________
I don't mind shooting, as long as the right person gets shot! - D. Harry
BobbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 14:11   #5
m2hmghb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Livin in the country of NJ
Posts: 12,213


I wonder why there isn't anything said about NJ? Here you have to sign a waiver to your HIPPA rights so they can do a check to see if you ever saw a psychologist or psychiatrist.
__________________
Here's a toast to our wives and to the women we loved. <pause> May they never meet.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:24   #6
nursetim
Senior Member
 
nursetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: liberalville N. M.
Posts: 6,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
I wonder why there isn't anything said about NJ? Here you have to sign a waiver to your HIPPA rights so they can do a check to see if you ever saw a psychologist or psychiatrist.
Same in NC to get a pistol purchase permit, at least in Orange County.
__________________
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. - I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:41   #7
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,255


Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
I wonder why there isn't anything said about NJ? Here you have to sign a waiver to your HIPPA rights so they can do a check to see if you ever saw a psychologist or psychiatrist.
The difference with this is that under NYSAFE, even if you aren't buying a firearm, and even if you don't sign any waiver of HIPPA, a doctor can still turn your private conversations and statements over to the state and, if they concur that your statements are sufficiently 'dangerous', the state can check to see if you own any firearms and come take them away.
__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 16:44   #8
gigab1te
Senior Member
 
gigab1te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
The Jefferson County Mental Health Association isn't alone in their opposition. The New York State Nursing Association has also written Governor Cuomo voicing the same concerns.

The fear is that there are potentially THOUSANDS of people statewide that have wholly treatable/manageable mental health issues that will now refuse to seek treatment out of fear that doing so might put them on some government list of "unfit" persons, or even get their property taken away. Without treatment, some of those thousands of people will eventually snap.
I think its more likely they fear getting sued if one of their patients goes on a shooting spree...
gigab1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43   #9
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,255


Quote:
Originally Posted by gigab1te View Post
I think its more likely they fear getting sued if one of their patients goes on a shooting spree...
That's a possibility, but I think the bigger concern here is the people that will never even become patients in the first place because they will opt to skip out on treatment entirely rather than risk being branded as an "unfit person" and having their property taken away.
__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:53   #10
tarpleyg
Senior Member
 
tarpleyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
That's a possibility, but I think the bigger concern here is the people that will never even become patients in the first place because they will opt to skip out on treatment entirely rather than risk being branded as an "unfit person" and having their property taken away.
I have long believed this to be the case...way before SAFE. There are a lot of people out there who really need some kind of help but they are afraid to go get it for a mulitiude of reasons, including being stuck on some list that will curtail their rights.
__________________

tarpleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 18:33   #11
dudel
Senior Member
 
dudel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Georgia Mountains
Posts: 4,389
Unintended consequences, or unexpected consequences?
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:09.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 997
268 Members
729 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42