Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:36   #26
TK-421

*knock on wood* I still haven't gotten a speeding ticket, thankfully. Which is funny, because my younger brother has, and I'm usually the one with the lead foot. I do my best to keep it under 80 while on the highway, and keep it within 5 of the speed limit on city roads, it's worked so far.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42   #27
badge315

How did the officer know you even had a gun to run the serial number on? Did you volunteer that info? If so, why?

- The Loc-Nar
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46   #28
dryfly

Rule of thumb around where I live and work is 7mph....
Anything over that and you will get pulled over....
Probably wont see a ticket at 9 over.....
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47   #29
ustate
NRA Member

The last speeding ticket I received was also for 9 over, of course I was going 19 over and the guy cut me a break (a huge break). I know going 19 over sounds bad but it was out in the middle of nowhere Nevada deseret...I don't know where the cop came from but he sure showed up out of thin air, lol.

I'm sure there is a class you can take to remove the points, like others have said just ask when you get to court.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53   #30
DanaT
Pharaoh

Next time.. drive faster....

If you are driving fast enough they let you go.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56   #31
byf43
NRA Life Member

The last citation that I got, was for 72mph in a 55 mph zone.

Trouble was. . . . I was going 53 mph!!!!! A dump truck passed me, when the MSP Trooper 'locked' the radar. (NOT Laser!)

I tried to explain that "I" was doing less than the speed limit.

Didn't matter to them.

My wife said, "Shut up and pay the ticket."

Paid the citation. First citation (other than a "Warning") in 30 years.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34   #32
Drain You
NRA member

Sheesh I've been plenty of places where 5 over gets you pulled over and ticketed all day 7 days a week.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54   #33
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Did you ask if you were being detained?

Did you tell him you pay his salary?

Did you ask when his little radar-doohickey was last calibrated? And then give him the raised-eye look. Probably would have gotten the ticket wiped right there.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25   #34
JMS

I'm still not understanding why not just go to court? I've had about 5 tickets over the course of 16 years. I've always gone to court and the fines were reduced significantly and zero points. If you haven't had a ticket in the last year, you were respectful to the officer and you weren't double the speed limit I don't see what the issue would be.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29   #35
rvanpelt

Running gun serial number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
"he took my Glock and ran it to make sure it was not stolen gave it back unloaded".......

this has always annoyed me when i hear of someone pulled over for a traffic stop....

why do they have to check if your gun is "stolen" when you get pulled over for a traffic violation???

so he runs your tags....your car is not stolen....runs your liscence, you are not a wanted fugitive......so WHY run your gun to see if its stolen???? especially if you have a valid CCW

why not run your cell phone to see if its stolen???.....run the bag of groceries you've got in the back seat to see if you stole them??.....run the boombox you have in the passenger seat to see if its stolen???? you get the idea!!!!
Point well taken. I used to feel the same way about this. However, we had a situation here in Nebraska several years ago where a State patrolman pulled over a vehicle for a minor traffic offense. The patrolman ran the serial number of his handgun, entered the wrong serial number by turning two numbers around, gave the guy back his handgun which was used to kill 5 people in a Nebraska bank robbery a few days later. The patrolman was so distraught afterwards knowing because he failed to run the correct serial number which should have led the criminal to be incarcerated instead, committed suicide a few days after the robbery and subsequent murders. He was survived by his wife and young boy.
Not saying that you are a bad person, just saying the officer was probably instructed to run a serial number of any handgun he comes across. Many lawbreakers are taken off the road because of the "just cause" law and the minor offense opened the door to apprehension.
Also, I took a hand gun into a local gun store to make a trade several years back. I'm certain the salesman took it in the back and ran the serial number to make sure it wasn't stolen.
Timothy McVeigh was pulled over for a cracked tail light lens and was subsequently apprehended and later executed for the bombing in Oklahoma.
I do sympathize with you, as a former defensive driving/diversion class instructor, many of us are distracted only for a few moments and do speed. It happens to many, if not all of us. I hope you are able to take a class to keep this off your record and keep your insurance company from raising your premium. In Nebraska this class can be taken once every 3 years but must be taken before going to court or paying the fine.
I hope this helps and doesn't offend you. My son, who was also in law enforcement, was good friends with the patrolman and felt really bad this whole thing could have been prevented.
Sincerely,
Rod
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32   #36
racerford

Some states have a program where you can get a ticket dismissed by taking a "defensive driving" class. There are limits on what traffic offenses and time since last class, or ticket. The added bonus is that you can often get a discount on your auto insurance for taking the class as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:37   #37
Spiffums
I.C.P.

So speed limits are merely suggestions.......... explains a lot.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38   #38
douggmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge315 View Post
How did the officer know you even had a gun to run the serial number on? Did you volunteer that info? If so, why?
I'm curious to hear about this too. Since Fl does not require proactively informing an officer of CCW, I am of the opinion nothing good can come by volunteering this information for a traffic stop.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38   #39
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
In Florida you don't have to advise I just feel more comfortable laying all my cards on the table so there are no surprise's Don't really want a gun pointed me should he see I'm carrying and didn't tell him...
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45   #40
FourthPointOfContact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
"he took my Glock and ran it to make sure it was not stolen gave it back unloaded".......

this has always annoyed me when i hear of someone pulled over for a traffic stop....

why do they have to check if your gun is "stolen" when you get pulled over for a traffic violation???

so he runs your tags....your car is not stolen....runs your liscence, you are not a wanted fugitive......so WHY run your gun to see if its stolen???? especially if you have a valid CCW

why not run your cell phone to see if its stolen???.....run the bag of groceries you've got in the back seat to see if you stole them??.....run the boombox you have in the passenger seat to see if its stolen???? you get the idea!!!!
Why do they never take people's cellphones to run the serial numbers on those to see if they've been reported stolen as well?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56   #41
w30olds

Send a message via AIM to w30olds
So does 9mph over do any damage to your driving record? Ive heard anything over 11 mph goes on your record for 3 years.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
-Psalm 23:6
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59   #42
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirjäger View Post
Why do they never take people's cellphones to run the serial numbers on those to see if they've been reported stolen as well?
I think that would require some level of probable cause or reasonable suspicion that cell phone was stolen to run a S/N.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00   #43
DanaT
Pharaoh

People who speed are one one step away from homicide. They put everyone on the streets, sidewalks, and parking lots in danger of death and dismemberment.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05   #44
kensb2
pistol n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
I think that would require some level of probable cause or reasonable suspicion that cell phone was stolen to run a S/N.
Why would it be any different for a CCW? If the OP offered up the info, gave him his CCW, then why would the cop go run the weapon to see if it was stolen?

My wife got a ticket about 6 weeks ago for 33 in a 25, about 9pm. Had my 2 yo in the back. She was obviously driving dangerously. Ticket was $100.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:09   #45
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post
Why would it be any different for a CCW? If the OP offered up the info, gave him his CCW, then why would the cop go run the weapon to see if it was stolen?

My wife got a ticket about 6 weeks ago for 33 in a 25, about 9pm. Had my 2 yo in the back. She was obviously driving dangerously. Ticket was $100.
I dont have this problem because I drive the speed limit.

Often over the recommended speed limit, but within the real speedlimit.
2x4=8, not 14.

Last edited by DanaT; 04-22-2013 at 11:09..
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12   #46
Aragorn77

NH uses a point system. You can take a class to drop points only if you are in danger of loosing your license. On the other hand, I had a clean record when I got my last speeding ticket (and I was going way too fast on my bike...). On the suggestion of a lawyer, I went to court, asked the ticket be placed on file for six months, pending my completion of a defensive driving course and no further violations. In the end it all went away...yea!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:13   #47
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
People who speed are one one step away from homicide. They put everyone on the streets, sidewalks, and parking lots in danger of death and dismemberment.
Of the dozens of things drivers can do, speeding is close to the bottom. I'll take roads full of ten-overs over one kid texting... HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22   #48
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirjäger View Post
There isn't a healthy data base of stolen cell phone "serial numbers" like there is for most other property.
What "serial number" to run? Most phones have up to 3 different types of identifying type numbers, which leads to confusion:
  • entering the stolen info
  • running the stolen info
  • tracking the stolen info
  • verifying the stolen info

Things like firearms, TV's, most other electronics have a model number and a serial number. Much harder to mix up.

Where do the Cops get the "serial numbers" to enter in the stolen data base?
From citizens who report what they "think" the serial number is. I've rarely seen a report of a lost/stolen phone followed up with the reporter bringing in the serial number for their phone (much less a proper serial number the literally couple times they have).

Now honesty time. Wouldn't you be unhappy as well if they did take your cellphone and run the serial number?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:25   #49
rednoved
NRA Member

If there isn't a good flow of traffic or a couple of pace cars, I try and keep it below 10% of the speed limit. Not all speeding violations earn points in Texas. You only receive points if you were speeding 10% or more over the limit (e.g. 5 mph over the limit in a 50 mph zone.) I have a hard time not going faster than I need to, so I try and use the cruise control a lot.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:25   #50
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensb2 View Post

You've never dealt with people, much less criminals, on a large/frequent basis.

People (bad guys) do all kinds of things for reasons that make sense to "them".

Sometimes they think a discovery is inevitable and believe they can charm/bluff their way through.

Sometimes they are trying to get you to drop your guard.

There are tons of reasons, and I've seen people do/say things that boggle the mind, and all of them made "sense" to the person at the time.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Closed Thread