Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:56   #1
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Got a ticket this morning 4:AM 9mph over

My wife is going to kill me first ticket in twenty years, he took my Glock and ran it to make sure it was not stolen gave it back unloaded, I'm guilty, was the only car on the road, $131.00 down the tubes, not going to fight it just man up and pay it, the officer was very professional.
is there a way to take a class to erase the point, like a speeding class?????
As Stephen F. Roberts so famously said speaking with a Christian apologist "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08   #2
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Rough way to start the week. I would suggest you call the number on the ticket to see if there is a class you can take to get rid of the point. Most places have them now. Most of them you can actually do online. You will come out of the "class" a much better person and won't be hotroding around anymore.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.

Last edited by Psychman; 04-22-2013 at 04:08..
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08   #3
Ohio Copper

Go in beforehand and speak to the prosecutor.

See if it can be amended to a non moving violation.

9 over, sheesh.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09   #4
dotsun
conf t

Bummer, where's the video?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:12   #5
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsun View Post

Damn, beat me to it.

Anyways, DW that sucks buddy.
NECC #401
Old 04-22-2013, 04:19   #6
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
is there a way to take a class to erase the point, like a speeding class?????
Yes. In most instances.

"(9) Any person who does not hold a commercial driver license and who is cited while driving a noncommercial motor vehicle for an infraction under this section other than a violation of s. 316.183(2), s. 316.187, or s. 316.189 when the driver exceeds the posted limit by 30 miles per hour or more, s. 320.0605, s. 320.07(3)(a) or (b), s. 322.065, s. 322.15(1), s. 322.61, or s. 322.62 may, in lieu of a court appearance, elect to attend in the location of his or her choice within this state a basic driver improvement course approved by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. In such a case, adjudication must be withheld and points, as provided by s. 322.27, may not be assessed."

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0318.14.html
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:20   #7
Beretta92guy

"he took my Glock and ran it to make sure it was not stolen gave it back unloaded".......

this has always annoyed me when i hear of someone pulled over for a traffic stop....

why do they have to check if your gun is "stolen" when you get pulled over for a traffic violation???

so he runs your tags....your car is not stolen....runs your liscence, you are not a wanted fugitive......so WHY run your gun to see if its stolen???? especially if you have a valid CCW

why not run your cell phone to see if its stolen???.....run the bag of groceries you've got in the back seat to see if you stole them??.....run the boombox you have in the passenger seat to see if its stolen???? you get the idea!!!!

Last edited by Beretta92guy; 04-22-2013 at 04:22..
Old 04-22-2013, 04:30   #8
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Go in beforehand and speak to the prosecutor.

See if it can be amended to a non moving violation.

9 over, sheesh.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I was thinking the same thing, but I am glad you pointed it out. The officer probably doesn't like Mondays any better than the rest of us do.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:12   #9
waawaaweenie

as times get bad the fudging room the officers give for speeding is bound to get lowered because the cities and states are broke and if there was a highway full of traffic, he probably wouldn't even have looked at you

you can do traffic school on line in some areas which can be done at your own pace and at home.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:24   #10
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsun View Post
Check the video. If he didn't have his hat on, the ticket is invalid.

Right? Right?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:24   #11
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Was he wearing his hat?

I got one of those last Thanksgiving when I went to St. Augustine to pick up my daughter. Cop was very nice.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:29   #12
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

A buddy of mine is LEO near Daytona,......he always says,
"Eight, you're great, nine, you're mine!"

Georgia had a class you could take to avoid the points.
The class was $80 and you still had to pay the fine.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33   #13
JMS

The speed cameras here are set at 12 and over, I'd go to court and based on your driving history have it reduced and points dropped.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:38   #14
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

If it was just 9 over I would attend the hearing for the ticket and ask that it be dismissed. State that you're a conscientious citizen who shouldn't be penalized for a moments inattention.

You've got nothing to lose and there's a possibility they will reduce or dismiss, which would save you $$ in hiked up insurance premiums over the next few years.

Thresholds vary by locale but where I travel you normally have to be going above 15 over before you attract LE attention.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:39   #15
GVFlyer

Bad luck.

Around here, our state troopers will tell you, "9 is fine, 10 you're mine." The city cops can be a different story. In my town, however, we have a great PD and they will only write you if you are constituting a hazard to public safety - like acting stupid in a school zone. They do not engage in speed traps, revenue collection efforts or any other activity that would undermine the excellent community relationship we share with our police.

I meant this post to commiserate with you, but it looks like I've turned it into unsolicited praise for our local PD. Sorry.

You should approach the prosecutor to see if the charge can be reduced through classes; what you don't want is for your insurance rates to go up.

http://www.specialops.org/
Old 04-22-2013, 05:40   #16
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Yes, Florida allows you to take a course either online or in a classroom Just google Florida ticket classes and numerous places will be listed. Be prepared to do 4 full hours for the course. You can stop and restart anytime you want so you don't have to do the entire 4 hours at one sitting.

You need to contact the court on the ticket, pay the fine and tell them you want to take the traffic school class. They give you I think it was 60 days to take the class and give them the certificate of completion.

Make sure the course you take allows you to print the certificate of completion rather than send the money off and have the certification mailed to you. The entire ball of wax should cost about $50 plus you'll still have to pay the fine. Good thing is, no ticket is shown on your record or to the insurance company.

My daughter went through it not too long ago.

BTW, FHP or locals?

Last edited by IGotIt; 04-22-2013 at 05:42..
Old 04-22-2013, 05:45   #17
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
A buddy of mine is LEO near Daytona,......he always says,
"Eight, you're great, nine, you're mine!"
Sheesh.... thats pretty crappy. Depends on where you are though, I guess. IN FL on the turnpike and Interstates, most allow 12 mph over, or anything under 80 (whichever applies, if speed limit is 65 or 70).

But DW- you were the only car on the road? That sucks... it's not like you were weaving in and out of traffic.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013

Last edited by GSSF17; 04-22-2013 at 05:46..
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04   #18
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
Sheesh.... thats pretty crappy. Depends on where you are though, I guess. IN FL on the turnpike and Interstates, most allow 12 mph over, or anything under 80 (whichever applies, if speed limit is 65 or 70).

But DW- you were the only car on the road? That sucks... it's not like you were weaving in and out of traffic.
I agree. My thing was 15 over, unless there was some other circumstances involved (kids playing, heavy traffic, weather, etc)
Old 04-22-2013, 06:09   #19
paynter2
It ain't over

DW - how fast were you actually going? Did the officer 'write it down' to 9mph over? I've had them do that before.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10   #20
md2lgyk

Some places around here, only 9 over would probably get you ticketed for obstructing traffic. Where I worked as an LEO, there was one jerk State Trooper that would ticket people for as little as 3 over. Even other LEOs. He didn't have very many friends.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38   #21
Longtooths

Send a message via ICQ to Longtooths
That's what you get for talking to a cop!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:43   #22
okie
GT Mayor

Good luck with this ticket, Douglas
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04   #23
cowboy1964

9 over is pushing it, for sure, especially that late at night.

Rule #1: always let someone else around you be driving faster than you are. If there isn't anyone else around, keep it to under 5 over.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 04-22-2013 at 08:04..
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08   #24
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Here in Missouri a lawyer could get that reduced to "defective equipment" in your case, easily actually. It would still cost you a couple hundred bucks but zero points on the license. You might want to check into that. Oh, and no dumb class to attend.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31   #25
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

PM sent.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Closed Thread