GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:27   #26
BradD

If it's anything like our 2008 Sienna, I wouldn't recommend it. Lots of little things such as:

Coating coming off the front bumper.

One power sliding door stopped working about a year in.

Interior plastic on both front doors snags as one opens the door. The fastener failed on one side.

The controls are stupidly laid out. For example, the driver can lock the power windows, but that includes the front passenger side also. If I only had a quarter for every time my wife has said "please unlock my window." That function is for the kids in the back, not for the wife!

Cup holder spring never did work correctly, so it wouldn't latch in the retracted position.

Carpet fastener broke in no time.

I have at least four other similar things, but won't type them. It's just got "cheap" written all over it.

The finale is the helicoptering that happens if one opens only one or both rear windows. Very loud thumping sound from the airflow. One has to open at least one front window to make it go away. That might be the most extreme design flaw I've ever seen in a car that people actually buy. The first time we were going down the road and opened a rear window, I couldn' believe my ears. Do they not use wind tunnels during design?!?

Not much of a toyota fan at this point.

Romans 3:23 -> 6:23 -> 5:8 -> 10:9 -> 10:13

An Excellent Gospel Presentation

Last edited by BradD; 04-22-2013 at 09:28..
BradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06   #27
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
The power button was real. I bought a new 4-cylinder '87 Camry LE for my wife and it had a POWER button on the console next to the shifter. Pushing it raised the shift points a few hundred rpm or so.
I wish my car had a power button. Imagine being able to push a button and make a car fast. That is just awesome.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56   #28
DanaT
Pharaoh

In addition to the "power" button did it come with a Race gear? You know that one with an "R" to put the car in race mode?
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22   #29
Inyo Tim
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
Just to change post directions.
When did GNG ever have a direction?
Inyo Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37   #30
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I got nothing bad to say about Toyota Camry or other Toyota products because my adopted parents are on their third 4Runner and second RAV with the second RAV being a V-6 instead of V-4.

I am only miffed that their third/current 4Runner only has a weak ass V6. No giddyup like the previous V-8.

However, I must say that there's nothing "interesting" about Toyota products with the exception of the Lexus LFA. They're about as bland as it can get. Regular vanilla bland.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:55   #31
kd608

we have a 2000 camry 4 banger and a 2008 sienna v6 have never had any issues with either one and love both, of course i may have a bias since i work at the camry plant
kd608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 14:21   #32
Steve0853

Toyotas are no good unless you want reliable, comfortable transportation at a reasonable cost.
Steve0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 14:29   #33
Old School

2006 Solara Convertible sle v6. No problems, going on 7 years of routine maintenance only.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 15:03   #34
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by winglock View Post
Now you did it, you spoke bad about a Toyota on GT. Who knows what'll happen now.
Uhhh... Nothing??

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 16:32   #35
FCastle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
My wife has a Prius. Other than a dash rattle that developed that they made one unsuccessful attempt, so far, to fix, its been a good car. She loves it. And, yes, regularly gets the 50 mpg's.
Did they check the windshield cowl for the rattle? My 2008 RAV4 has a loud rattle that I thought was the dash, turns out there's something loose under the windshield cowl that's knocking against the cowl. The windshield cowl is known for causing rattling on several Toyota models, including the Prius. Usually either something is loose under the cowl, the cowl itself fits loosely, or the cowl is hitting/rubbing against the windshield. My RAV4 seems to develop a new creak or rattle every few months. I keep having to stick rubber bands or little pieces of paper in gaps in the dash, around the windshield, the pins that hold the ceiling liner in place, etc. It's ridiculous how many parts of the interior are loose or just poorly designed. A shaft in the steering column was replaced under a TSB to fix a clunking noise in the steering.

So far it's been reliable, though last fall during an oil change the dealer said the water pump was leaking and they replaced it under my CPO warranty. It's been in for several recalls in the last year and a half. The suspension is terrible, and overall construction is cheap and flimsy. The interior electronics are outdated and boring. I'd say Toyota is probably still near the top in reliability, though not as reliable as their past vehicles that built their reputation. Their interiors and electronics are cheap and boring compared to what the other manufacturers are putting even in their economy cars. Toyota got too comfortable at the top and let quality slide. The new Camry and RAV4 do look like an improvement, though I haven't driven them. My next vehicle will probably be a Hyundai or KIA.

Last edited by FCastle88; 04-22-2013 at 16:52..
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 19:06   #36
cphilip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCastle88 View Post
Did they check the windshield cowl for the rattle? My 2008 RAV4 has a loud rattle that I thought was the dash, turns out there's something loose under the windshield cowl that's knocking against the cowl.
Not sure but I kind of doubt it. Ill have to ask them to check on that when I take it back. I don't really want to make a special trip just for that but I probably will have too. All the paper work mentions is removing and refitting dash and something about misaligned parts and foam. Not really sure what part. But it started rattling again on the way home.

I forgot to mention that I do have an old 86 Toyota pickup truck. Back when they were just called "pickup". With the 22R motor. They had there classic known issues. For one they ate up the timing chain tensioners every 150K and then proceeded to eat the motor up if you ignore it. Otherwise they ran forever. If you just knew to stop the minute the chain started rattling and deal with it that is. But this one I have, I am the second owner and the first owner did all that. And he kept every single record of every single thing he ever had done to it. Its just at 152K now and runs like a top. Its a 5 speed manual and the 52R in this one is the last of the Carb equipped ones at that. Its got that patina to it now. What now is desirable as Shabby Chic. Plus its 30 mpg's all day long on old technology.

Last edited by cphilip; 04-22-2013 at 19:07..
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote