Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2013, 16:08   #1
larry_minn
Silver Membership

To change direction. Opinions of Toyota cars?

Just to change post directions. I am thinking of getting a (new to me) car. The Toyota Camery looks halfway interresting. Thing is there are few 6 cylinder most are a 4 cyl 2.4l? IMO that seems dang small.
So how does it handle that size car? How about when loaded? 4 adults, luggage, etc at interstate speeds...
Any other issues/repairs, good points.. Thanks.
The only major issue I hate. The rear door has a HUGE opening radias. For some dang reason rather then ending door when openeing ends. They continue door "skin" good 8" further back then needed. So you open (rear) door and it WILL hit car next to it.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 16:30   #2
vart

My similarly-sized Ford Fusion has a 175hp 4cyl and it does great on flatland, which is all you have in Minnesota and for a few hundred miles in any direction...

On hills and grades, it is OK with just me in it but loaded with passengers and luggage, it struggles.

On a side note, last week I was getting gas and some crazy guy in a late 80's Camry engaged me in conversation and told me his Camry was a super rare model.

Apparently, it had a button that engaged a supercharger that let him go 150mph, yet when not activated, he got 50mpg... I'd try to find one of those if I were you...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 16:35   #3
vart

When my wife's parents moved to Arizona from Iowa, they were searching for a small SUV.

I recommended a used CR-V but they rejected it because it had a 4cyl and they were afraid they wouldn't have enough power to get up the hills and mountains out here.

They bought a 6cyl Hyundai Tucson which had the same power as the CR-V 4cyl, but worse gas mileage...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 17:09   #4
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
Just to change post directions. I am thinking of getting a (new to me) car. The Toyota Camery looks halfway interresting. Thing is there are few 6 cylinder most are a 4 cyl 2.4l? IMO that seems dang small.
So how does it handle that size car? How about when loaded? 4 adults, luggage, etc at interstate speeds...
My Camry's have 4's. They may be small, but gutsy.
I make a run Ft. Worth to Denver a lot, full pax load and luggage. Run 75, including the climbs through the mountains. The Camry 4 will maintain speed in the mountains, my previous Taurus 6 couldn't
On the Denver trip, the Camry's got 33 mpg and the Corolla's got 39.

Quote:
I began a fleet of Camry's and Corolla's in '98 when I reached my last straw with the Tauruses breaking.

Eight cars later, only the oldest ('98) has needed any repairs outside of routine maintenance (Tires, Brakes, Batteries). That amounted to a starter motor and a radiator.

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile

Last edited by aircarver; 04-21-2013 at 17:14.. Reason: add
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 17:12   #5
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
Apparently, it had a button that engaged a supercharger that let him go 150mph, yet when not activated, he got 50mpg... I'd try to find one of those if I were you...
He wasn't supposed to talk about that ... to anybody ! ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
Old 04-21-2013, 17:14   #6
Buki192327

I don't have a Camry. I do have a 2009 Toyota Rav, with a 4 cylinder. It has all the get up and go, that I could want. The fuel economy is good also.

www.BuckeyeFirearms.org

Sub Club #46
Buki192327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 17:18   #7
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buki192327 View Post
I don't have a Camry. I do have a 2009 Toyota Rav, with a 4 cylinder. It has all the get up and go, that I could want. The fuel economy is good also.
My daughter put 250,000 miles on her '01 RAV4, with no repairs other than routine expendables. It's still running good.

Last edited by aircarver; 04-21-2013 at 17:20..
Old 04-21-2013, 17:22   #8
coastal4974

I started buying Toyota s exclusively since GM went out of business
Old 04-21-2013, 17:24   #9
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal4974 View Post
I started buying Toyota s exclusively since GM went out of business
Well, they didn't exactly go out of business, they just became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the gubber-mint ....

Old 04-21-2013, 17:25   #10
jakebrake
cracker

i deal with a few toyota dealerships. i gotta be honest. most are in for routine service, or out and out abuse.

i think i could count the number of camrys ive seen in for serious repair on one hand.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 18:01   #11
ChiefWPD

I've owned three Toyotas over the years (two Tercels and a Rav-4). Wonderful cars. No problems. Period.
Old 04-21-2013, 18:31   #12
Mr981

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr981
I currently have an 07 RAV4 with 80K on it. AWD V6 sport model.
Pro:
lots of pickup with the V6, great cargo room and Hwy mileage has been decent 25-27mpg.
Con:
Major quality control issues with the transmission (bad ring and pinion gear replaced under warranty at 57K --$4500) emissions control systems/muffler (muffler failed at 60K but one CAT was welded on to the pipe just ahead of it requiring the entire assembly to be replaced under warranty $1100). Just finished a recall on the rear suspension link strut (covered under warranty) and the radio/CD failed at about 10K.

Toyota has replaced a lot of these transmissions and it was just by the grace of God I found the website with the TSB with all the details of the recall allowing Toyota to pick up the whole tab. From what I've read, if you were out of warranty, you were SOL.

This car will be replaced in the next 10K and it won't be replaced with another Toyota product. I chose Toyota on the premise I could get 100K out of the vehicle without a major mechanical failure. Based on my experience, Toyota's vaunted reliability would seem to be a thing of the past. Not sure if it was bad engineering, assembly or vendor QC but this car has brought back a lot of the bad memories I had with my Ford Explorers.
Mr981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 18:55   #13
winglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr981 View Post
I currently have an 07 RAV4 with 80K on it. AWD V6 sport model.
Pro:
lots of pickup with the V6, great cargo room and Hwy mileage has been decent 25-27mpg.
Con:
Major quality control issues with the transmission (bad ring and pinion gear replaced under warranty at 57K --$4500) emissions control systems/muffler (muffler failed at 60K but one CAT was welded on to the pipe just ahead of it requiring the entire assembly to be replaced under warranty $1100). Just finished a recall on the rear suspension link strut (covered under warranty) and the radio/CD failed at about 10K.

Toyota has replaced a lot of these transmissions and it was just by the grace of God I found the website with the TSB with all the details of the recall allowing Toyota to pick up the whole tab. From what I've read, if you were out of warranty, you were SOL.

This car will be replaced in the next 10K and it won't be replaced with another Toyota product. I chose Toyota on the premise I could get 100K out of the vehicle without a major mechanical failure. Based on my experience, Toyota's vaunted reliability would seem to be a thing of the past. Not sure if it was bad engineering, assembly or vendor QC but this car has brought back a lot of the bad memories I had with my Ford Explorers.
Now you did it, you spoke bad about a Toyota on GT. Who knows what'll happen now.
Old 04-21-2013, 18:59   #14
nathanours
Texan

My '96 Camry just rolled over 200k. I've replaced the timing belt, water pump, rotors, and a radiator that got cracked by a bad rock while driving.

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 20:07   #15
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"Apparently, it had a button that engaged a supercharger that let him go 150mph, yet when not activated, he got 50mpg"

The power button was real. I bought a new 4-cylinder '87 Camry LE for my wife and it had a POWER button on the console next to the shifter. Pushing it raised the shift points a few hundred rpm or so.

This is an '86.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by JohnBT; 04-21-2013 at 20:19..
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 20:29   #16
mossytxn

Got a new camry se a month ago with the 4 banger for my wife. It pulls just fine and gets 25 mpg in town.

No problems with my tundra either.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
mossytxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 20:50   #17
sierrafast
Coleccionista

I recently purchased a new to me 2012 Camry and I am loving it. Pulls great for a little 2.5 4banger while giving me about 36mpg with the cruise control set at 65mph.
sierrafast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 20:54   #18
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I have a '12 Toyota Camry Hybrid that I got the end of July last year. Just under 13k miles on it so far and I love it. I've driven it around LV with a full passenger load and in the hills it still has pretty good git up n go. Averaging around 500 miles per 16 gallon tank of gas (I don't let it get below 1/4 tank). ToyotaCare picks up the service/oil changes. 5k service is rotating tires, lube and inspecting stuff. Oil changes every 10k. I'll report back in a few years but the Camry seems to be one of the most popular cars in town here.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 20:55   #19
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

My wife has a 2009 Corolla with a 4 cyl. The water pump went at 75k, but other than that it has been pretty solid. Power wise, it isn't a race car, but it has enough power to get up to speed and does pretty good on the highway.
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 22:16   #20
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Trucker View Post
My wife has a 2009 Corolla with a 4 cyl. The water pump went at 75k, but other than that it has been pretty solid. Power wise, it isn't a race car, but it has enough power to get up to speed and does pretty good on the highway.

I have a 2009 Corolla and in 2010 Toyota dealership (on a routine oil change) changed my water pump for free as there was some sort of factory defect. Don't know if there was a specific recall. He said the new WP was an upgrade.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45   #21
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I have a 2009 Corolla and in 2010 Toyota dealership (on a routine oil change) changed my water pump for free as there was some sort of factory defect. Don't know if there was a specific recall. He said the new WP was an upgrade.

My wife's water pump was covered under warranty also.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:11   #22
cphilip

My wife has a Prius. Other than a dash rattle that developed that they made one unsuccessful attempt, so far, to fix, its been a good car. She loves it. And, yes, regularly gets the 50 mpg's.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06   #23
byf43
NRA Life Member

I've owned several Toyota(s) over the years.

Currently drive a 2011 Camry SE to/from work everday.
Average 28 mpg in town.
Driving to Blacksburg, VA, get 34-36 mpg, driving the speed limit.

4 cylinder engine. 2.5L I think. 179 hp.
Right gutsy car!! Glad I bought the 4-banger instead of the V-6.

The ONLY things done to this car in 37,600 miles, is oil/filter change (Mobil-1 oil. 0-20w) and rotate the tires.

The ONLY thing that I do NOT like about this car, is the "bleeping" oil filter. Instead of a "Spin-On", it's a "Cartridge".

The only other "Toy" in the 'fleet' now, is a 1993 Lexus es300.
139,000 miles. Needs a little attention. (Small oil leak. Tune-up.)
This car still gets 28-30 mpg hwy.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10   #24
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
The only major issue I hate. The rear door has a HUGE opening radias. For some dang reason rather then ending door when openeing ends. They continue door "skin" good 8" further back then needed. So you open (rear) door and it WILL hit car next to it.
Not sure on a Toyota but my wife's 2.4L 4-cyl Accord (2006) has as much power as her previous car - a 3.1L V6 Malibu. The bottom end is a little less but not very much.

The Japanese are wizards with four cylinders.

As for Toyota's reputation - well, they got that rep for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11   #25
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
My wife has a Prius. Other than a dash rattle that developed that they made one unsuccessful attempt, so far, to fix, its been a good car. She loves it. And, yes, regularly gets the 50 mpg's.
My Civic had that on the rear deck (behind the rear seat).

I stuffed napkins in there to fix it.

The dealer took out my napkins and used some sort of tape. Worked just as well.

I also had to put weatherstripping on the bottom of my license plate and between the plate and the frame to keep it from rattling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote