Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:28   #1
hogship
It's MY Island

Survival.......17hmr, 22LR, 22mag.....etc.

Are any of these cartridges capable of putting deer, elk, on the table, if it were necessary?

I don't know from any personal knowledge, but I've heard stories of poachers using 22LR to illegally harvest deer. I guess it's possible, but not what someone would choose for the purpose.

But what about survival, and rimfire cartridges?

I guess someone could subsist on squirrels, gophers, small critters......but more meat would be better, if you've got mouths to feed.

Thoughts on this?

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27   #2
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

As highly unethical as it is, and as much as I don't endorse it, a deer can be taken with a 22LR with proper shot placement and I'm sure it can be done with the other calibers you have mentioned as well.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:47   #3
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

My ex grandfather in law hunted deer to keep his family alive throughout the 40s and never used anything bigger than a .22LR.

As he put it "shoot them in the eye, and be close when you do". He was scary quiet in the woods.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:24   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Unless you're able to make consistent head shots with solid, round-nose bullets you're going to end up losing a lot. I, also, agree with MrMurphy's remark about, 'getting in close' before taking the shot.

I keep two, high-precision, 22 rifles fitted with, 'see-thru' mounts and very high quality 4X scopes for exactly this reason. I can, also, use these rifles at night in order to shoot accurately inside any light condition except absolute darkness. The elk part I don't know about; but the whitetail deer I do; and, yes, it's entirely possible IF you use the right SOLID bullet, get in close, (inside 35-40 yards) and are able to consistently, 'put 'um where you're looking at'.

As it appears a great many Pennsylvanians already know: 22 LR is THE basic survival cartridge. Of all the different calibers it is 22 LR that is extremely difficult to find anywhere throughout the NEPA area right now. There just isn't any; and those of us who have it are sitting on most of it. For the first time in years I pulled into a public shooting range this past weekend; and, voila, there was nobody on the firing line! It seemed, almost, surreal.

Yet, whenever I ask someone, 'Why' this ammo shortage is happening, nobody seems to actually know? What am I to believe? That some little homicidal creep in Newtown CT has shut down an entire nation's ammo supplies? I don't see how this could be!

What it's not, however, is that DHS order for two billion rounds of pistol and carbine ammo that was recently placed. There are, certainly, existing manufacturing plants that could readily extend their ammo production to include both the war in the Middle East, and elsewhere.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18   #5
bac1023

Out of those, I'd feel most comfortable with 22mag, but deer have been taken with less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:31   #6
CBennett

IMO .22 WMR could do it if you HAD to(if it was to that point id just be taking head shots anyways)
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22   #7
oppi27

I had a neighbor get busted shotting deer a few years ago. He killed alot of deer with the 22 mag. He didn't shot any of them in the head, instead he double lunged then. They didn't run 50 yards. They figured he killed over 150 deer with that gun.
oppi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12   #8
CMG

I don't shoot 17HMR any longer... ammo prices (even before the current panic) were just getting ridiculous ($12-$15 for 50 rounds).

I think the .22 LR would be adequate on Texas white-tail (withing reason), and it is relatively quiet to boot.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07   #9
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

I know an old (ex)poacher in South TX that says they used to fill up a pickup bed with .22lr killed deer pretty regularly. I have a suspicion that most of his shots were only out the window of said pickup to the bar ditch though. I'd have no doubt in .22lr's ability to kill deer at a reasonable distance.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20   #10
mac66
Plant the seed

What would rather have to take a deer, a bow or a 22 rifle? I worked LE in a rural area back in the day and we eventually caught a couple poachers who were using 22lr rifles. They were whacking and stacking deer before we caught them. All were one shot kills on a dozen or more deer.

Think about this, if you were sitting in a tree blind and saw a deer at bow/arrow range (20-30 yards max) it would be pretty easy to shoot them in the head.

Another advantage of a 22lr is they are fairly quiet compared to other things. It is very difficult to pinpoint where one shot from a 22lr came from. That is further enhanced by the use of subsonic or low noise rounds. Not to mention that a 22 is pretty easy to suppress using field expedient methods.

I read an account of someone using a 22 to kill a moose in Alaska (though I wouldn't want to have to shoot a bear with one).

So yeah, my choice of a "survival gun" (whatever that is) is a 22lr rifle. It is actually my truck/trunk/camper/cabin grab and go rifle.

Last edited by mac66; 04-24-2013 at 10:23..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39   #11
clancy

My grandfather on my Mother's side was a life long poacher. He took quite a few deer with a .22lr. That being said, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but when one is hungry and that is all you have to hunt with, one makes do.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:54   #12
Wishoot

In a true survival situation, harvesting any meat would be a priority. Given the abundance of smaller game compared to deer or elk, I think a 22lr would be my preferred survival round.
Wishoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24   #13
oppi27

I would rule out the 22 right now because of availability of ammo.

All those prepper type websites push the 22lr as the go to survival round,
It's like gold.

Last edited by oppi27; 04-24-2013 at 12:26..
oppi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:27   #14
VinnieD

I'd ask why. Right now 12 gauge shotgun shells, 30-06, and 7.62x54R are all easier to find than .22s, and much better for taking deer. I suppose it could be done, but I don't imagine a scenario where you'd have to that you wouldn't have better options. During the depression cut shells and was slugs took many a deer before the advent of slugs.

VinnieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 15:40   #15
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Out of those, I'd feel most comfortable with 22mag, but deer have been taken with less.
this! ^

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:05   #16
countrygun

I have a .22 LR here that killed more deer than any gun I have known of. I will say that the .22 mag would give more range but not kill any "deader" at close range with the same placement as a LR round. I can introduce you to several people around here who have killed black bear with a.22 LR. 'aim for the eye'. Not something I would suggest.

I made what may be a relevant decision a couple of years ago, given that my circumstances are a bit unique but not unheard of.

From my house, to the garden is about 30 yards and on the other side of a thick blackberry "hedge" and several Alder trees, is my pasture. This also takes into account the rest of the area around the house and other issues.

Now for critters in the garden a shotgun is a bit of a stretch and the collateral damage around the impact zone was unacceptable. A .22 has an intolerable ricochet factor.

I bought, first, a very accurate break top in .17 machII, later an even more accurate Savage bolt in the same caliber. I took the first rifle out to a gravel pit and worked hard to create any ricochets that had a serious distance factor. The bullets are fairly frangible and it takes some work. I chose the lighter of the two .17 rimfires because I didn't need the range or noise of the HMR round. I scored a large amount of ammo on sale and am stocked up to protect my garden from a slew of zombie varmints.

Maybe a bit specific, but I also found it works well on small game for the table as well.

To recount. The .22 is a deer killer in the hands of a good hunter and shooter. Experience at both is a necessity however IMO. To go out to hunt a deer for the first time in "exigent" circumstances, with a .22 is NOT a good idea. I can say I could do it without a moments hesitation, bases on my experience using the round on smaller game and my experience legally hunting deer with more "appropriate" calibers.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:18   #17
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG View Post
I don't shoot 17HMR any longer... ammo prices (even before the current panic) were just getting ridiculous ($12-$15 for 50 rounds).

I think the .22 LR would be adequate on Texas white-tail (withing reason), and it is relatively quiet to boot.
I don't really think you can call any of the three "adequate".

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:20   #18
vafish

In a survival situation you go out to get meat for food.

If you see a rabbit, groundhog, squirrel or whatever, you shoot it and put meat on the table.

If you are carrying a .30-06 you just made a mess of your dinner. Plus you just told the whole county where you are.

A .22 to the head will kill a deer if you happen to see one, but I'll bet you see dozens of other edible animals for every deer you see.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:23   #19
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
In a survival situation you go out to get meat for food.

If you see a rabbit, groundhog, squirrel or whatever, you shoot it and put meat on the table.

If you are carrying a .30-06 you just made a mess of your dinner. Plus you just told the whole county where you are.

A .22 to the head will kill a deer if you happen to see one, but I'll bet you see dozens of other edible animals for every deer you see.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
I agree. It is also why I don't think a "bird hunting" shotgun is essential. over 50% of the birds I've shot I spotted on the ground first and could have taken with a .22. It's survival, not sport.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 16:35   #20
Deaf Smith

If true survival where you have no recourse to get a resupply of ammo I'd take the .22 magnum. You can carry lots of ammo and yes you can take deer with it (head shot.)

Plus you can have both a good handgun as well as a very accurate short rifle (and I'm get a stainless one that is very accurate as well as durable.)

Deaf