Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2013, 00:24   #1
DanaT
Pharaoh

Passport Stamps

Well,

This sucks. My last passport took about 8.5 years to completely fill with stamps and need additional pages.

My new passport is 2.5 years old and I was two pages away from getting it filled.

When I left CH last time, I handed them my German residency permit and they waived me on. No exit stamp. Then I get to USA and with Globalentry, no stamp.

I just arrived in FRA and handed them residency card and passport. They didnt even have the courtesy to swipe my passport in the machine and see if I was a criminal. He simply looked at the residency permit for 3 seconds, handed everything back,and sent me through.

Now, I get no stamps entering or leaving anywhere in USA or Europe. I cant get a fat passport!

I was actually amazed at how much less interested German customs was in me than US customs is interested in Americans coming through customs. I still get more checks (global entry machine check) entering USA than Europe.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53   #2
Tiro Fijo

This warranted a thread? Talk about self-aggrandizing.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:11   #3
DanaT
Pharaoh

What really amazes me is how much faster European customs is fro EVERYONE. Its either they are a whole lot less worried about who comes in, Europe is a lot less dangerous, or the US is anal.

Yet the southern border is open. But go into the USA with a US citizens passport, where the govt already knows who is on the plane inbound (the computer system displays my flight when it pulls up my record so they know who is coming) and yet it still takes forever for most people (hour long waits are not uncommon) and they play 20 questions for US citizens coming back via airplane.
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26   #4
G26S239
NRA Patron

France and Australia have been the easiest so far. New Zealand had the most questions, actually asking me what hotel I would be at but no real hassle. The US does ask at least a couple of questions every time I come back.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:45   #5
DanaT
Pharaoh

Did the French just spit on your passport and hand it back?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:13   #6
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Did the French just spit on your passport and hand it back?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
No he looked at me, looked at the passport, looked at me again and stamped it. I did not experience the rudeness that French are known for.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:55   #7
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

When I was a student in Belgium my passport was always stamped upside down. As soon as I was no longer a student but returning to Belgium just as often, they started stamping my passport right side up again. When I go to Italy or Canada, they won't stamp my passport.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:14   #8
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
When I was a student in Belgium my passport was always stamped upside down. As soon as I was no longer a student but returning to Belgium just as often, they started stamping my passport right side up again. When I go to Italy or Canada, they won't stamp my passport.
Going to school in Belgium sounds great! I have not been there yet.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:38   #9
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Somewhere I have a photo I took a couple weeks ago while exiting New Delhi. The dude behind me had this ratty passport that was 1/8" shy of being 2 inches thick. I keep a little measuring stick in my backpack and I asked him to pose with it and his passport.
He was a wealthy Indian business man who does nothing but travel all over south and souheast Asia for his work. He's in 2 or 3 different countries every day, 5 days a week.. Oh...and his 2" passport....it was 4 years old.

I like traveling. Hell...I LOVE traveling. (I'm typing this from a Holiday Inn Express in Miami, on my way to Trinidad), but I have zero desire to earn a passport that looks like a small phonebook.

Last edited by airmotive; 04-21-2013 at 04:49..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:50   #10
G26S239
NRA Patron

Yeah, that's the George Costanza wallet Passport.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07   #11
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
I had gotten a passport with the extra pages because I thought I would be traveling to Russia frequently on job-related matters. That didn't happen, and when I renewed I didn't request the fat passport. They sent me one anyway.

The irony is that I will get few if any stamps in it, because on my now infrequent jaunts to Europe for pleasure, I will be traveling as an Italian. I guess the only stamps I will get, other than the annual tax stamps in my Italian passport, will be the return entry stamps in my US one.

I really wanted to collect a few visas, too (sigh).

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:28   #12
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Well,

This sucks. My last passport took about 8.5 years to completely fill with stamps and need additional pages.

My new passport is 2.5 years old and I was two pages away from getting it filled.

When I left CH last time, I handed them my German residency permit and they waived me on. No exit stamp. Then I get to USA and with Globalentry, no stamp.

I just arrived in FRA and handed them residency card and passport. They didnt even have the courtesy to swipe my passport in the machine and see if I was a criminal. He simply looked at the residency permit for 3 seconds, handed everything back,and sent me through.

Now, I get no stamps entering or leaving anywhere in USA or Europe. I cant get a fat passport!

I was actually amazed at how much less interested German customs was in me than US customs is interested in Americans coming through customs. I still get more checks (global entry machine check) entering USA than Europe.
#firstworldproblems
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:08   #13
Horror
Polizei

Send a message via ICQ to Horror
Quote:

Yet the southern border is open. But go into the USA with a US citizens passport, where the govt already knows who is on the plane inbound (the computer system displays my flight when it pulls up my record so they know who is coming) and yet it still takes forever for most people (hour long waits are not uncommon) and they play 20 questions for US citizens coming back via airplane.

Last time I entered the US, it took me 5 minutes to get from the plane to baggage claim and through customs.

CBP kind of pushed me out of the area because I was waiting for someone who was in line behind me. "this is not a waiting area... keep on going sir"

Last edited by Horror; 04-21-2013 at 11:10..
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:18   #14
Horror
Polizei

Send a message via ICQ to Horror
getting out of the USA took me the longest.

Full TSA program.

long lines + shoes off, belt off, jacket off, watch and so on...

when I traveld from London to the US I just took my watch off and walked through the metal detector (jacket, shoes, belt still on).

getting into the US is easier/faster than getting out, to my mind

Last edited by Horror; 04-21-2013 at 11:19..
Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:40   #15
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror View Post
Last time I entered the US, it took me 5 minutes to get from the plane to baggage claim and through customs.
Recently coming back into the US at Miami, the place was packed. Like Ellis Island packed. After a few hours, I was next in line to talk to the nice Customs man.

An old, old guy (like, 170 years old) and obviously very confused walked right past me and right up to the inspection booth. I just kind of smiled in a 'bless his heart' kind of way.

Several people behind me (especially some really LOUD CUSSING guy) started to express their displeasure.

Me, in all my skinny manliness, turned around with "my look" and made the "WTF?" gesture with my arms. Nobody made a peep.

I'm not always the biggest jerk in the world.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:59   #16
GVFlyer

Very few customs agents stamp my passport.

http://www.specialops.org/
GVFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07   #17
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlawpup View Post
I had gotten a passport with the extra pages because I thought I would be traveling to Russia frequently on job-related matters. That didn't happen, and when I renewed I didn't request the fat passport. They sent me one anyway.
When you travel to certain areas of the world (i.e. muslim countries and isreal especially) it is advisable to have two passports (and of course dont carry both on you).

You can have two passports if it is for security reasons like this.
2x4=8, not 14.