Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:09   #1
harlenm

Mower advice.

Besides someone hitting my car yesterday, my mower took a dump. Not going to spend the money to get it fixed, so I'm looking at getting this one. Any thoughts?

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...46247&cId=list

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
harlenm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:21   #2
DonMerlin

Can't go wrong with a Husky. 16" turn radius is good. I am lusting after one of those Zero Turn Radius units.
DonMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49   #3
harlenm

My first mower was a husky and i didn't like it. It was underpowered and had trouble with thick grass. Also only had a 42" deck

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58   #4
sourdough44

That mower looks O.K.. There will be the whole range of quality among mowers, even with the same make. The ones at the 'big box' retailers usually differ from the best models, but they sell better. Just like the reason you see many with a Savage rifle & few with a Sako.

I get by with my 8 Y/O Cub Cadet, runs like new. I did pay a little over $3,500 for it though & do take care of it.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03   #5
harlenm

I have a 5 year old cub cadet, just replaced the battery and a wheel(i get a flat every year, it seems). PTO engages, but blade doesn't spin. Belt won't turn one of the pulleys, it just spins around it. Creates so much friction that it actually caught on fire yesterday from leaves and grass on the deck.

Steering mechanism snapped last year and I had that fixed at close to $300.

I'm not spending another nickel on this thing.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09   #6
sourdough44

I fixed my neighbors CC a few years ago, newer than mine. They never greased it & one of the spindles was shot. Yes, there does come a point where it's no longer feasible to throw good $$ after bad.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16   #7
paynter2
It ain't over

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMerlin View Post
Can't go wrong with a Husky. 16" turn radius is good. I am lusting after one of those Zero Turn Radius units.
Check out Crankyape. They usually have some ZT's in Valdosta Ga. If you're close to there, maybe you can get a good deal on one.

www.crankyape.com
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18   #8
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

I have that exact model. Have enjoyed it for years. Nothing bad to say about it other than I am way overdue to change the oil and service it. Been a fantastic help around the yard, and I mulch, never bag. Sure would love to get the bagger attachment for those weeks when I miss a mow session and the lawn gets tall.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23   #9
warhog

Watch the transmissions if your going up and down hills or pulling heavy loads the tuff torque k46 may not be for you. The box store mowers are for light duty if I did buy a light duty mower I would still change the fluid in the transmission to 5w 50 synthetic it will hold up better.
warhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:27   #10
harlenm

Just ordered it. Came with a free pull cart and got 6 months 0% interest.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:03   #11
cphilip

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhog View Post
Watch the transmissions if your going up and down hills or pulling heavy loads the tuff torque k46 may not be for you. The box store mowers are for light duty if I did buy a light duty mower I would still change the fluid in the transmission to 5w 50 synthetic it will hold up better.
Read this carefully

The next better model, the actual Garden Tractor level, with the actual heavier duty transmission that can handle a lot more is only sold at Husky Dealers.

The best one of all is about $700 more but your going to get the better transmission and the, it think better, Yamaha 24hp (true NEW method rated) V twin. Those things two alone are well worth it in the long run. But then there also is the Fabricated heavier metal deck vs the stamped one that comes along with that one.

I suggest you pay a visit to your local husky dealer first. He will likley have the same similar model for the same price range. And then two or three steps up or back too. AND... service and repair it with a smile. Not tell you to take it to a service center (himself) and get in the back of the line over his customers. Its important. And it actually costs no more.

Do your research and you'll see. That's the way I went. So far no real complaints. Minor issues with moisture in the gauge fixed by warranty. But having a good shop to take it to is the other plus over buying from Lowes.

Go here.. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/husqvarna-dixon-forum/

Last edited by cphilip; 04-21-2013 at 09:10..
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27   #12
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
Read this carefully

The next better model, the actual Garden Tractor level, with the actual heavier duty transmission that can handle a lot more is only sold at Husky Dealers.

The best one of all is about $700 more but your going to get the better transmission and the, it think better, Yamaha 24hp (true NEW method rated) V twin. Those things two alone are well worth it in the long run. But then there also is the Fabricated heavier metal deck vs the stamped one that comes along with that one.

I suggest you pay a visit to your local husky dealer first. He will likley have the same similar model for the same price range. And then two or three steps up or back too. AND... service and repair it with a smile. Not tell you to take it to a service center (himself) and get in the back of the line over his customers. Its important. And it actually costs no more.

Do your research and you'll see. That's the way I went. So far no real complaints. Minor issues with moisture in the gauge fixed by warranty. But having a good shop to take it to is the other plus over buying from Lowes.

Go here.. http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/husqvarna-dixon-forum/
Like this one

GTH26V48LS. And yes, it has the serviceable G730 trans by Hyrdo-Gear, and is only sold thru Husky dealers. Mines 3 years old now, and I've only had to change oil, plugs, and air filter. I mow with it in the summer, and shove snow in winter(reason I bought the GTH, G730 trans). Been a good tractor so far.

The Okie Corral
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54   #13
harlenm

I didn't want to spend more than $2000. Plus I get 6 months to pay for it from Lowes.

I sold my cub cadet for $450 within an hour of listing it on Craigslist.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-21-2013, 14:02   #14
wavetrain75
Useless Member

If you don't water it you don't have to mow it. Win/win.
Old 04-21-2013, 15:12   #15
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavetrain75 View Post
If you don't water it you don't have to mow it. Win/win.
Hell no.

The Okie Corral

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-21-2013, 18:45   #16
cphilip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
Like this one

GTH26V48LS. And yes, it has the serviceable G730 trans by Hyrdo-Gear, and is only sold thru Husky dealers. Mines 3 years old now, and I've only had to change oil, plugs, and air filter. I mow with it in the summer, and shove snow in winter(reason I bought the GTH, G730 trans). Been a good tractor so far.

The Okie Corral
Thats the one! Or at lease one of the ones.

And its almost the same one I bought last spring.

However, be aware... its now the GTH24V series. It changed last Spring.

I bought the 52 inch deck one.

The reason for the change from 26 to 24 in the model number is the fact that Kawasaki changed its motor HP rating system to the new, more realistic, voluntary industry use standard. It is the only manufacturer at that point last year that had done so. Its the very same motor that was rated at 26hp... but its now rated at a real 24 HP. Good motor.

Last edited by cphilip; 04-21-2013 at 18:46..
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33   #17
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

So durable you could probably drive it to FL when you move. LOL

I like my Husky. Next model down, I think. Very fast, doesn't seem to get bogged down at all versus my older mowers. I used to have a 60" walk-behind. Would take me 35-40 min to cut the lawn. Sixty inches!

With my 42" (48? Pretty sure it's only 42) Husky, I get it done in 25 min, start to park.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56   #18
harlenm

It's here!

The Okie Corral

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51   #19
sourdough44

That was quick!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45   #20
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

I hope you have good luck with that engine. Kohler makes a good one, but that Courage doesn't get very good reviews. Most of the issues seem to have been last year, so hopefully they've been worked out. Plenty of info on the net about them.
Old 04-22-2013, 13:12   #21
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

I have a Husky riding mower. I run it out of fuel at the end of the season and park it under a shed. Springtime, I pull the battery and charge it. Air up the tires throw some gas in and away she goes.

If I recall the engine is Kawasaki.

MF
Old 04-22-2013, 15:12   #22
fx77
CLM Number 232
Charter Lifetime Member

Cannot Go Wrong With A Walker...a really long lasting professional grade machine

http://www.walkermowers.com/
fx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 16:32   #23
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
So durable you could probably drive it to FL when you move. LOL

I like my Husky. Next model down, I think. Very fast, doesn't seem to get bogged down at all versus my older mowers. I used to have a 60" walk-behind. Would take me 35-40 min to cut the lawn. Sixty inches!

With my 42" (48? Pretty sure it's only 42) Husky, I get it done in 25 min, start to park.
The fab'd decks come in 48" 52" & 54"
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote