Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2013, 17:07   #1
ViennaGambit

Restarting AR15 Build: Pistol/SBR or 16/14.5"er?

Had a gorgeous BCM 16" hammer-forged middy that I just sold due to an offer I could not refuse. I really loved the rifle, but I feel pretty confident that I can get another as things tend to be normalizing (BCM has had a 16" upper package in stock for over 24 hours now & I have all the mags and ammo I need). Even if I pay inflated prices on Gunbroker, I still will wind up coming out very far ahead due to the profit I made.

Now time to restart - I really loved the 16" BCM, however I'm thinking that maybe I should just build a AR pistol and send in my paperwork to SBR it... Seems like a 12.5" or 11.5" SBR would be a real do-all rifle for my needs.

Have a kid on the way, so this will most likely be the only AR I own for a while, and would just use it for hd, range out to 150 yards and fun - I do not compete.

What do you guys think? Built a high-quality BCM or DD 11.5" AR pistol with the intention to SBR it over the next year, or stick with a traditional 16" or 14.5" (pinned) BCM build and be content...?

Hoping your experiences can help guide me down the proper path.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 17:15   #2
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Go for the SBR.

Just a side note: I have a BCM 11.5" upper waiting for my stripped lower Form 1 to get back. It looks ridiculous as a pistol. Just saying.
Old 04-06-2013, 17:19   #3
ViennaGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
Go for the SBR.

Just a side note: I have a BCM 11.5" upper waiting for my stripped lower Form 1 to get back. It looks ridiculous as a pistol. Just saying.
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah they do look pretty stupid from what I've seen, but hopefully the paperwork doesnt take too long.

Heard that since they legalized hunting with suppressors in a few states, the ATF has been swamped and hired a bunch of people to help speed the process up...

Last edited by ViennaGambit; 04-06-2013 at 17:19..
ViennaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 17:22   #4
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Here's a pic of my 10.5" 9mm pistol......later to be SBR

Black Rifle Forum
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 17:57   #5
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaGambit View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah they do look pretty stupid from what I've seen, but hopefully the paperwork doesnt take too long.

Heard that since they legalized hunting with suppressors in a few states, the ATF has been swamped and hired a bunch of people to help speed the process up...
Current wait time is about 8 months. I just received my paperwork back last month.

I would suggest either SBR/pistol or another 16". There is no advantage to getting a 14.5 pinned that offsets the headache of being tied to a single muzzle device and paying to have it pinned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 18:48   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

I would go SBR. My 10.5" SBR was my only AR for almost 2 years, and it has done anything I have asked of it (within reason). It will put 20 of 20 into a B25 target at 300 yards rapid fire (1-2 seconds between shots), and is still quick on target up close. Mine is now topped off with an Aimpoint T-1 Micro 2MOA, and the 2MOA dot makes reaching to 300 very simple.

That said, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with a Bravo 11.5" upper on my Form 1 lower, or a Colt 11.5" commando factory SBR. While my LMT upper has been 100% reliable with a BCM bolt, I would say that 11.5" will give a little more velocity and possibly a little more reliability. However, when I built my SBR, the 10.5" LMT upper was right in front of me, and I got it for a solid price.

When I finally blow out my LMT barrel, I will most likely be looking at a BCM 11.5" barrel.
Old 04-06-2013, 18:53   #7
ViennaGambit

Thank you very much guys - the idea of SBRing an 11.5" pistol is sounding better and better. Now just to be patient and hunt one down...

@faa - that pistol is sweet looking!
Old 04-06-2013, 19:08   #8
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Thank you very much guys - the idea of SBRing an 11.5" pistol is sounding better and better. Now just to be patient and hunt one down...

@faa - that pistol is sweet looking!
Get a stripped lower now and start the paperwork. You'll have 7-9 months to get the parts and build it as a pistol before you have to worry about a stock.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42   #9
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

SBRs are cool. Her's a pic of my LMT 10.5" to push you further over the edge.

Black Rifle Forum
Old 04-19-2013, 19:29   #10
ViennaGambit

Well, patience is rewarded - scored both a BCM and a LMT complete factory lower this past week at normal pre-panic prices... They will both be here at the beginning of the week and I have my Nolo Quicken trust-maker awaiting a serial number.

I am going to 100% SBR one of them and then just do another 16" middy with the other.

Now the real question: which lower do I SBR....?
Old 04-19-2013, 19:32   #11
ViennaGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
SBRs are cool. Her's a pic of my LMT 10.5" to push you further over the edge.

Black Rifle Forum
That is just beautiful!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 21:01   #12
edctac

I've been trying to figure the same thing out. I have decided to go pistol in order to get it done quicker, and not have to pay the stamp fee. I also like the idea of being able to keep it in my vehicle loaded.
edctac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 23:25   #13
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Well, patience is rewarded - scored both a BCM and a LMT complete factory lower this past week at normal pre-panic prices... They will both be here at the beginning of the week and I have my Nolo Quicken trust-maker awaiting a serial number.

I am going to 100% SBR one of them and then just do another 16" middy with the other.

Now the real question: which lower do I SBR....?
Just depends on what you want in an upper. Both LMT and BCM make superb SBR uppers. BCM offers more in the way of different lengths and I am a big proponent of making complete rifles (matching lower/upper). If it were me I would SBR the BCm and then decide over the wait time what length upper I wanted. If you are like me, you'll change your mind several times.

bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:23   #14
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I'm of the other persuasion, I don't like having to carry paperwork around and have the gov in my business. A 16" is fine for me.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:38   #15
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
I'm of the other persuasion, I don't like having to carry paperwork around and have the gov in my business. A 16" is fine for me.
The government is already in your business. In every way, shape and form imaginable.

They know where you live, how much you make, how many kids you have and their names, what kind of cars you drive, if you owe money on your house or cars, your license plate #s, your ethnicity, where you went to school, if you hunt or fish, the names of all your siblings, parents etc, when you have left the country and where you went, etc etc etc....

What exactly is it you are afraid they will know?

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24   #16
Spiffums
I.C.P.

I spilt the difference with my do all rifle. 14.5 with extended hider (Battlecomp for mine). Short enough to get use in and outta cars/trucks. Long enough to do anything a 16 will and Looks great with that DD Lite 12 rail...............which in the end is all that really matters is that I like it.
Old 04-21-2013, 14:26   #17
Chowser

I did it backwards.

I got a stripped lower, engraved it, sent off my form 1.
Waiting 6 months, got my form 1, then waiting 3 months (it was panic season) before I finally got my upper. a DD 11.5" with MFR-9.

Black Rifle Forum

just bought an AAC-762-SDN-6 this weekend, will do the paperwork for that whenever it comes in. Also, I bought a SIG516 10" upper to try out a piston upper.
I'll build one of my lowers as a pistol to just have it on there when I'm not using it.

I have plenty of stripped lowers I can build pistols on just to keep my short uppers around. I can only shoot one rifle at a time, so this was the cheapest way to have an SBR.

Last edited by Chowser; 04-21-2013 at 14:27..
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote