SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:25   #1
vart

How did people react around you?

To the bombing and subsequent manhunt?

I don't know if it was because I work in a call center that is so high stress, or if it was simply "normal" behavior these days.

The day of the bombing, nobody talked about it at work. We had our normal meetings and it wasn't brought up. I would ask someone about it and they would just say something to the effect that it was horrible, then brush it off.

It was like nothing had happened...

Today, I was checking GT and monitoring the news and after the 2nd suspect was captured, it was about 2 hours before I had time to actually discuss it with anyone.

What blew me away is that the people I mentioned it to, I realized that was the first they had heard of it, which tells me they weren't even interested enough in it to check the news.

A major terrorist attack and nobody was even interested enough to check the news on their smartphones??

Not a single customer of the dozens I talked to today mentioned it either; it was like nothing had happened.

My family are mostly former or current law enforcement and they were glued to the TV and computer, as was I.

Did you guys notice the same disinterest among your co-workers, or was my strange experience an anomaly?

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:47   #2
mixflip

It was the biggest topic all week at my office.

Topics were...

I wonder if the bombers are home grown American anti government extremists like the bomber in Oklahoma or Muslim terrorists?

I wonder what their demands are?

Do yo think its a lonewolf or group?

Did you hear the libs say the NRA is responsible for delaying the investigation? They said the NRA wants to ensure American terrorists are the most successful and deadly terrorists in the world.

This is proof no one is safe. There will probably be copycats now?

Wow I cant believe they have suspects? Thats good news. They dont look like Arabs in those pics.

WTF they got into a gun battle last night and killed a cop?

WTF they found the younger one hiding in a boat?

I hope they get him ALIVE so we can get answers and then give him the needle.

Thats pretty much all I heard all week.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:16   #3
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Some people reacted to the aftermath in the most pitiful fashion, some of which was based on the president's speech.

The president said that the terrorists failed "because the people of Boston refused to be intimidated." How ironic. This government is determined to disarm people, yet the citizens will somehow retain the gumption to not be intimidated. People also came out of lockdown chanting "USA!" It's as if we had just defeated the Soviets in the 1980 hockey game, rather than some cowards involved in the most evil of acts.

I would expect a more staid reaction, but chanting catchy slogans must be a lot more fun. This disturbing stupor is unlikely, of course, to yield anything useful because we have seen it all before. Many will wave the red, white, and blue this weekend, while ironically deferring 100% of their safety to the third party that is government.

I doubt if too many will reflect on the signficance of this event after the scintillating special reports end. People will continue to be 100% happy in their food, TV, and other frivolities. Get ready for a second "patriot" act and whatever else keeps Americans in their blissful stupor.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:28   #4
RyanBDawg

Not much of a topic of discussion. I try to ignore most of what the media has to say.

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43   #5
RonS

It was touched on, but only in the context of, "That whole Boston thing is so sad" except that I discussed the reasons with a fellow shooter and we talked about what the goal was of whoever planned it. We are both of the opinion that we will have more attacks and disruption aimed at the economy, trying to cause another recession.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:59   #6
John_NJ

We have a nation numb to pretty much everything except what affects them directly. People just don't care as long as they can drink their Starbucks, watch TV, and read their text messages.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Donít respond to the stupidity of a fool; youíll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:20   #7
norton

I was amazed at how little of the conversation concerned those who lost their lives in Texas.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:49   #8
SCHADENFREUDE

Terrible things happen every day and in every place. By the time I am done typing this how many deaths, murders, etc have happened somewhere. If you sit around crying about every bad thing that happens you will be a shrinks dream patient. Fact is that more people died from choking on a chicken wing then did in the "terrorist" attack. As far as i am concerned it was a crime. More crime will happen today. Life is short, live it and don't worry about things that have nothing to do with you.
SCHADENFREUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:52   #9
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

I work with 3 people that ran the race that day, none of whom had finished before the blast, but one telling me Wednesday he was within 3/4 mile of the finish line at the blasts.

I asked him if he heard anything and he said no, and as they got closer they could see everyone stopping but had no idea what was going on. Then word got passed back that the race had simply been stopped, still no idea what was going on.

We are about an hour south of the epicenter, so interest in the aftermath here was high.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:59   #10
Fracball
Authorized User

Regarding the people cheering, the ones interviewed by big media stated they were pleased to be resuming their normal activities. Instead of being pleased about the capture. Big media conveyed this sentiment too. I gather most media and politicians will instruct us to move-on, don't dwell on the past, case closed.
Fracball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57   #11
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

The first day, my crowd was like, "Did you hear about the bombing!?" This is from people who don't care about running, Boston or TV news. When the cops killed the first one, it was stated simply. But mostly, the reaction was, "Meh." I think that's appropriate. Elevating criminals to celebrity status is an epic flaw in the law enforcement response and media coverage.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:11   #12
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"A major terrorist attack"

More like amateur hour.

Almost everyone I talked to while the investigation was playing out thought the same - catch these clowns. There wasn't much gossip and certainly no sitting around watching the talking heads on tv.

People were working and taking care of business.

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19   #13
byf43
NRA Life Member

I usually don't discuss the news, etc., with my co-workers.

One guy is a complete idiot - He can't hold a conversation with a turnip.
The other is a "Left Wing Extremist". He thinks he's "owed" something.
I'll leave my comments about him, at that.

What ran through my mind, was the 'white smoke' could be an indicator that black powder was used in the explosions, and what will this administration now do, to eliminate/inhibit law-abiding citizens to exercise their 2A Rights.

Restrictions on online and mail-order reloading materials, etc.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 04-20-2013 at 08:19..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:40   #14
RenoF250

I have been working from home but had a friend call yesterday all in a whirl about them. I thought it was interesting for a moment and then moved on. It is in Boston, what am I going to do about it here? If I cannot have an effect I try to not care. Not worth the effort to get spun up about something you cannot control or at least that is what I am trying to tell myself these days.

We did have a customer that was there and minutes from being blown up. That probably had the most effect on me.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:07   #15
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
Not much of a topic of discussion. I try to ignore most of what the media has to say.
No. no. no.

We NEED 24/7/365 coverage of some missing or murdered girl. And, non-stop opinion from some TV schmucks arguing every minute detail of that newsworthy story.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:39   #16
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

We held a meeting on how our profession is ultimately that of saving lives, and how we need to continue improving our own individual selves as we fit into that picture on stopping idiots from committing atrocities.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:23   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Being that I work in IT Sec. for a quasi-government entity and have some supervisory responsibilities over the physical security forces......we were discussing every aspect with the hope of improving.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:43   #18
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
My family are mostly former or current law enforcement and they were glued to the TV and computer, as was I.

Did you guys notice the same disinterest among your co-workers, or was my strange experience an anomaly?
Myself and my coworkers showed the same "disinterest".
"So, did they capture the second guy?"
"Yep, they did".
"Good".

So maybe "being glued to TV" and listening to the inane babbling of self-proclamed journalists is not as normal as you think.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:55   #19
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
Myself and my coworkers showed the same "disinterest".
"So, did they capture the second guy?"
"Yep, they did".
"Good".

So maybe "being glued to TV" and listening to the inane babbling of self-proclamed journalists is not as normal as you think.
I honestly don't get it. Terrorists blew up people at the Boston Marathon and then led police on a manhunt that involved IEDs and hundreds of rounds fired and you and others here somehow think it is not worthy of attention?

That by being angered and outraged at this attack on fellow Americans somehow makes me and my family "not normal"...

I feel like I'm living in some sort of real-life Orwellian Pod People nightmare when I see how little people care about this...

Old 04-20-2013, 12:00   #20
vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
It is in Boston, what am I going to do about it here? If I cannot have an effect I try to not care. Not worth the effort to get spun up about something you cannot control or at least that is what I am trying to tell myself these days.
I find the first quote in your sig line highly ironic...

I don't know where you live, but when tragedy and disaster strikes you and your community, perhaps you will realize the fallacy of your thinking...

Did you also feel the same way about 9/11? It happened in New York so who cares? Or the Fort Hood shooting?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:29   #21
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Meh. Really? More people choke on their soup than died in the Boston incident. Bad people do bad things. However the real damage is done when idiots get all panicky and freak out over it. Common muggings are more harmful to the American populace and economy than Boston yet nobody seems to freak out over them. You do what you can to minimize the risk and get on with life.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:35   #22
Altaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
It was the biggest topic all week at my office.

Topics were...

I wonder if the bombers are home grown American anti government extremists like the bomber in Oklahoma or Muslim terrorists?

I wonder what their demands are?

Do you think its a lonewolf or group?

Did you hear the libs say the NRA is responsible for delaying the investigation? They said the NRA wants to ensure American terrorists are the most successful and deadly terrorists in the world.

Wow I cant believe they have suspects? Thats good news. They dont look like Arabs in those pics.

WTF they got into a gun battle last night and killed a cop?

I hope they get him ALIVE so we can get answers and then give him the needle.

Thats pretty much all I heard all week.

This is pretty much what I heard, except add in there...

-Religion of peace at it again
-This is why Muslims suck
-This is why All religion sucks
-More people died and more got injured in Texas, how come that is barely being covered?
Altaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 13:17   #23
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
I honestly don't get it. Terrorists blew up people at the Boston Marathon and then led police on a manhunt that involved IEDs and hundreds of rounds fired and you and others here somehow think it is not worthy of attention?
"Paying attention" is not the same as "being glued to TV".

And the main reason people watched the news coverage 24/7 is the "manhunt, IEDs and hundreds of rounds fired". Cheap thrills, just another reality show.

Would you pay the same 24/7 attention to the investigation of the Texas fertilizer plant explosion?
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 13:32   #24
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Stupidly. B Strong???? When did this tragedy become about baseball????

Based on the stupid pix posted on Facebook, we are no better than the terrorists. Just dumbass stupid. Smacks of cheering after a goal line tackle when your FB team is down 49-0.
Old 04-20-2013, 16:17   #25
HarlDane

Quote:
Did you also feel the same way about 9/11? It happened in New York so who cares? Or the Fort Hood shooting?
The damage done in Boston, as tragic as it was, isn't even close to what happened on 9/11. We have traffic accidents that routinely kill more people than these two idiots in Boston. If you take away the sensationalism of the bombings and the ensuing manhunt and look only at the damage caused, it's a fairly small event. I thought the explosion in Texas that was much more destructive would provide some perspective, but it doesn't seem to have.
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote