GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:11   #76
Revvv

First and foremost there needs to be a harassment charge filed against the employee and the store. There was no proof of shoplifting, nor was there a reason to call the police.

As for the officer disarming you; that is for his safety. Personally, I don't see where the officer did anything wrong. Yes, you are now missing a round, but accidents do happen. What I don't understand is why the gun was placed in your trunk. I would have reached inside and reholstered the weapon and placed it back on my belt.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:26   #77
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Airedale View Post
I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, but it seems to me that you aren't committing a crime even if you do stick merchandise in your pants. Now if you leave the store without paying for it, you are stealing.

I'm wondering what crime the police were investigating?
Theft. Here in Florida a theft or an attempt theft is essentially the same crime. And an attempt theft occurs when someone starts stuffing merchandise down their pants. Many/most stores dictate not to stop or deal with a shoplifter before he leaves the store. Their choice. However when someone conceals merchandise to steal it the crime has occured, it just may be slightly harder to prove if the defendant can convince someone they really were going to pay for the five shirts and three steaks they stuffed into their pants. "A person commits theft when he knowingly obtains or uses or endeavors to obtain or use the property of another..."

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0812.014.html

Of course it might be different in his state. Or it might be considered an attempt theft or theft or attempt shoplifting or shoplifting or larceny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
Well.. just an update:

After explaining everything to him, he thinks I should sue for everything I can (which he believes would be MILLIONS) -- nothing small.

.. ....
Best of luck with the lawsuit, but it might be nice to hear something about millions from your potential attorney before you plan on this as a cornerstone of your retirement.

Quote:

Either way..... Whatever dude.

Just delete this thread if this is how things are going to go from here out.

I'm done. First you say you owe me an apology, yet now you are trying to "poke holes" in my posts.

Again.... Whatever.

Just delete the thread if that is the case.

To everyone else, get lost.

With due respect, you might wish to get "thicker skin" in case the law suit actually proceeds and the store's attorneys decide to depose you before trial or settlement.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 04-21-2013 at 10:36..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29   #78
NMG26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I would have reached inside and reholstered the weapon and placed it back on my belt.

Pretty much SOP.

I was disarmed by the Texas Highway Patrol on my way through the Texas pan handle. They gave me back my unloaded Gun and bullets and told me to make sure I loaded it back up after they left.........something about "an unloaded gun is just a paper weight".

God bless Texas!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34   #79
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
.....Input?
Sir, my guess is that your first instinct was correct. But thanks for reopening it, it has been interesting.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35   #80
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin40 View Post
If I could add something......."bargain store"?

In my experience, the pants I choose, as well as the belt, are really, (for me) nothing short of a support system for my weapon of choice. And I NEVER, NEVER, skimp when it comes to that. A decent pair of cargo pants, with re-enforced belt loops, and maybe some type of 5-11 gear type belt, designed to support my weapon. Why would I shop a bargain store, for higher quality support equipment? Not trying to bash, I'm just asking.
Maybe he doesn't have a lot of money? Sounds like he is a young married fellow.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:17   #81
SouthernBoyVA

Wow, this thread has certainly taken a turn. FWIW, I would be irate at being falsely accused of attempted shoplifting and would pursue this with the woman's superiors and with corporate in hopes of her being at least admonished for her actions or at best, fired. I would be a little miffed at the officer for taking my firearm and running the serial number but I don't see that going anywhere. But I would not sue since I would prefer that the woman receive what she deserves from her employer. That would hurt her more.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24   #82
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Keep in mind we don't have the woman's story/observations at all.
She may be a total loon, but she might have had an articulable basis for calling the Police and reporting suspicious behavior.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:39   #83
MotoGlock

Quote:
No, I haven't called them.. I'm debating whether I should just leave this alone or try to find out why they took it & get it back or what.. lol
Don't worry about one freaking round. Let it go!

You should be more upset about the b-tch store clerk. They falsely accused you of a crime, embarrassed you, tainted your reputation, and caused you stress.
File a law suit on them!
MotoGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:03   #84
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
She may be a total loon, but she might have had an articulable basis for calling the Police and reporting suspicious behavior.
True.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:18   #85
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
First and foremost there needs to be a harassment charge filed against the employee and the store. There was no proof of shoplifting, nor was there a reason to call the police.

.. ..

Quote:

To whatever level of suspicion can be articulated by someone wanting to go into a dressing room without any clothing to try on and to whatever extent it is suspicious that someone removes their belt to remove their pants one might be able to suggest that in fact it was a legitimate call and possibly missing one or more fundamental elements of harassment where that is a crime.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:41   #86
RussP

Quote:
Exactly...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52   #87
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2@low8 View Post
Don't let the store personnel detain you. You have the ability to walk out right up until the point the officer stops you. I will never wait around until the law shows up. Never.
This. I would have just walked out. No way some cashier is telling me to stay when I haven't done anything wrong. If somehow they get my license plate or whatever and the cops pay me a visit, so be it.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58   #88
SpringerTGO

Quote:
+1

On another note, with the cost of ammunition being what it is, I can understand the OP wanting to sue.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 14:38   #89
vettely

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
I strongly suggest you lose this attitude. Police look for this and will take advantage of people who think this way. Remember, they're looking for bodies and on fishing expeditions.
That Sir, is straight up bull ****!

Last edited by RussP; 04-21-2013 at 19:34.. Reason: spell out word to activate word filter
vettely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 16:45   #90
SCmasterblaster

I wouldn't shop there ever again.
Old 04-21-2013, 17:44   #91
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
That Sir, is straight up bull ****!
Oh really?

Last edited by RussP; 04-21-2013 at 19:34.. Reason: Spell out word to activate word filter
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 19:40   #92
RussP

Folks, look, misspelling a word to avoid the word filter violates GT Rules. Just spell the word and let the filter do its job.

And, if you quote a post where there is such a violation, repeating the violation, you're guilty, too. Don't include the word(s), or just spell it/them out.

Next time infractions will be given.
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 19:47   #93
Zeebra724

Old 04-21-2013, 20:09   #94
Thumpernator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Folks, look, misspelling a word to avoid the word filter violates GT Rules. Just spell the word and let the filter do its job.

And, if you quote a post where there is such a violation, repeating the violation, you're guilty, too. Don't include the word(s), or just spell it/them out.

Next time infractions will be given.
You are assuming that the people in GT know how to spell?
Old 04-21-2013, 20:13   #95
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

I would've just mooned the clerk to show I didn't have anything stashed in my pants.

Last edited by Wil Ufgood; 04-21-2013 at 20:18..
Wil Ufgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 20:54   #96
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Ufgood View Post
I would've just mooned the clerk to show I didn't have anything stashed in my pants.
Now that's funny. Just make sure you don't have a load in them there pants before the moonshine bursts forth.
Old 04-21-2013, 21:23   #97
Happypuppy

Social media can be your friend. Post a review of the store on Yelp, look if the have a facebook page, etc. Bad publicity is a good tool when deserved
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:33   #98
rhkirk1

Should just let it lie.

Last edited by rhkirk1; 04-22-2013 at 12:35.. Reason: Deleting
rhkirk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 18:07   #99
Bruce M

I wonder if the OP spoke with an attorney today.
Old 04-22-2013, 20:22   #100
Teej

Quote:
Could have been worse though, but yeah.. this is not cool..

I was shopping at a clothing store known for cheap prices.

NEVER AGAIN will I attempt to shop there after this.....

I ask the woman at the counter to use the dressing room so I can look at the tag of my pants that I am wearing, so I can find out exactly which size I need to get for the shorts that I want to buy.

as I'm in the dressing room, I take off my belt & lay my holstered weapon down on the bench, then I spin around and try to check the tag size in the mirror.

After figuring out what size my current pants were so I could get 1 size larger on the shorts, I put my belt back on, put the holster back on, etc.

As I leave the dressing room, this lady tells me "I know what you're doing in there, and the cops are on the way!"

I ask her "what am I doing? I haven't done anything wrong" - she says "We KNOW you're shoving items down your pants, we heard you take the belt off!"

I reply, "no maam, I took my belt off because I have my CWP and I needed to remove my holster - I have nothing down my pants at all."

She says "sure, whatever you say - you can tell it to the cops when they get here!"

So the cops walk in, I hand him my license and my permit. He asks if I am carrying right now, I tell him yes sir.

He secures my weapon. I then tell him he can gladly come in the dressing room with me, and I will strip down to my boxers so he can see that I have NOT shoved anything down my pants. He follows me in, but doesn't have me do that.

He had me spread my legs & he just checked like that.

So then we walk outside to finish talking after I obviously had not stolen anything. On the way out, the cop tells me - why did you bring this in here, didn't you see the sign on the door?

I tell him sir, there is no sign on the door - if there was I would have left this in my car, I never would have ever brought it inside.

We get out front and he says "oh, you're right.. there is not a sign on the door"

So anyway.. even after everything checked out, the cop places my Glock, my magazine, my spare magazine and my knife in the trunk of my car - but he kept the round that I had in the chamber..

What gives?

Those are very expensive rounds.. not to mention you can't even find them anywhere right now.

That is not cool to treat a law-abiding citizen like this..

I even showed the woman my cash in my wallet and told her maam, I am here to spend money - NOT shoplift, as I was waiting on the police.

Again.. WOW is all I can say right now..

I just wanted to get some shorts with belt loops so I can carry in comfort - nothing more.

I am still pretty shook up about this.. as I told the officers, that was my first encounter with LEO's while carrying.. I had done nothing wrong at all.. This is crazy dude.
I worked retail theft/ loss prevention for years. Did this occur in a large retail chain? Actually it does not matter.

Call an attorney first thing. You were falsely accused of shoplifting. Going by your account, you were not shoplifting and you never left the store.

You have grounds for a good law suite against this store. Get the officers name, find out if he made a report and get the name of all employees especially the one at the dressing room and find out who the manager in charge was at the time this occured.

It will never go to court. They will settle out of court and you will get a nice chunk of $$$$$$.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote