SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:33   #26
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Most of those concerned about losing their unlimited data plan have no idea how much data they use.

I've helped several monitor their data use over several months, almost all were under 2 GB, quite a few hit 1 GB at max.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:36   #27
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Most of those concerned about losing their unlimited data plan have no idea how much data they use.

I've helped several monitor their data use over several months, almost all were under 2 GB, quite a few hit 1 GB at max.
What do you think the solution to paying full retail for a new smartphone will be?

Even the little basic flip/camera phones are like $200.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:42   #28
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

If you're under a a contract, you're already paying full price.
The cost of the phone is subsidized by what you are locked into paying monthly over the course of 2 years.

The actual cost of the phone and actual cost of the services are mixed together. Hard, if not impossible to tell what you're really paying.

The new T-mobile no contract plan lets you truly know the cost of the phone and the cost of the services. In addition, you can pay $99 (or more if you elect to) for your phone at the start, and a monthly payment ($20/month) until the phone is payed off, then your bill drops down to just paying for the service. You can pay off your phone outright and then just pay what the service plan costs.

The US is the last place to use the subsidized phone model.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01   #29
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
If you're under a a contract, you're already paying full price.
The cost of the phone is subsidized by what you are locked into paying monthly over the course of 2 years.

The actual cost of the phone and actual cost of the services are mixed together. Hard, if not impossible to tell what you're really paying.

The new T-mobile no contract plan lets you truly know the cost of the phone and the cost of the services. In addition, you can pay $99 (or more if you elect to) for your phone at the start, and a monthly payment ($20/month) until the phone is payed off, then your bill drops down to just paying for the service. You can pay off your phone outright and then just pay what the service plan costs.

The US is the last place to use the subsidized phone model.
Ok, now that I could get on board with.

No way in the world am I going to pay $800 for the latest smartphone, but I'm definitely cool with what TMobile is doing.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:08   #30
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
If they go contractless, there would be no more reason for them to give me a free phone or special rates every couple of years. I'll stick with the contracts. If I need to change my cell phone provider more than once every 2 years, it's probably my fault.
Yup.

Contracts offer "cheaper" pricing.

EDIT: Maybe not. TBO kinda made sense of that.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)

Last edited by USMCsilver; 04-20-2013 at 11:11..
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:25   #31
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by costanza187 View Post
I have a no contract plan with Verizon.

Of course that's because, I signed up in 2010 and lived it out. The being grandfathered into the unlimited data is a nice perk. However, I am stuck with buying my own phone if I want to keep it.
I just gave mine up for a Galaxy Note II. Now I'm roped into another 2 year contract (from March 1) and am limited to 2gb/mo.

What will happen if they go to no contracts? They will still charge the same high prices for service and the phones will be $500+. After this contract is over I'm dumping verizon.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 15:01   #32
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I would have to think rates would increase to keep EPS steady. The companies make great margins every month that eligible customers don't upgrade.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 15:08   #33
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
I just gave mine up for a Galaxy Note II. Now I'm roped into another 2 year contract (from March 1) and am limited to 2gb/mo.

What will happen if they go to no contracts? They will still charge the same high prices for service and the phones will be $500+. After this contract is over I'm dumping verizon.
Here's the break down on T-mobile's change to no contract:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...y-a-good-deal/
Old 04-20-2013, 15:41   #34
ysr_racer

You guys are nuts. Verizon Wireless is a great company. I encourage all of you to renew your contracts, and use LOTS of data.

(my retirement depends on it)

Last edited by ysr_racer; 04-20-2013 at 15:41..
ysr_racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 16:45   #35
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I want to buy my phone at full sticker and choose my services cafeteria style. So far I can't find it with premium data speeds.

Old 04-20-2013, 16:56   #36
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The closest I've seen is T-mobile, if you're in the coverage.
If not, mute point.

True cafeteria style isn't likely to ever come, but no contract plans are a step up from what we have now.

"Truth in pricing".

Old 04-20-2013, 17:09   #37
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
The closest I've seen is T-mobile, if you're in the coverage.
If not, mute point.

True cafeteria style isn't likely to ever come, but no contract plans are a step up from what we have now.

"Truth in pricing".
Yeah I think you've suggested that in the past but they're a no go for me in coverage.

I agree. Buying a subsidized phone makes me feel like I'm buying appliances at a rent to own. I really don't like it. And yeah I think we'll be dealing with packages for the foreseeable future. Especially as users use fewer voice minutes and more data.