Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-18-2013, 17:16   #1
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Senate Democratic leader Reid hits "pause" on gun-control bill

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93F00D20130418

Quote:
Reid said he had conferred with Obama and the president agreed "to hit a pause" on the bill but keep it pending on the Senate calendar.

"It will prevent us from having to return to square one procedurally," he said. "We're going to have time to work on what people want to do before we come back to this."

Other Democratic senators said they also were not ready to give up on the gun-control proposals.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 17:35   #2
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

What part of "NO" don't they understand??

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 17:38   #3
Hyksos

They haven't pinned the Boston bombing on anyone yet. Who knows what they're waiting for.
Old 04-18-2013, 19:12   #4
michael707767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyksos View Post
They haven't pinned the Boston bombing on anyone yet. Who knows what they're waiting for.
They are waiting on another mass shooting then they will ramrod a bill through before people can think about the consequences.
michael707767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06   #5
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyksos View Post
Yea and when they do they will probably introduce new laws making explosives and mass kilings illegal so people won't have to worry about them anymore...
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16   #6
kensb2
pistol n00b

Hopefully the 'pause' button gets broken in the mean time, and these bills are stuck that way in perpetuity...
kensb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33   #7
whoflungdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post

This is why I'm pissed at my Senator for not supporting the filibuster. He's lost my vote completely. I WILL NOT VOTE for him again.

GTDS Certified Member #9
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:07   #8
brisk21

It's such BS that they can just keep "taking stabs" at gun ownership.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:49   #9
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
Death by a thousand cuts...
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:53   #10
M2 Carbine

Quote:
That's nothing new.
The anti gun people have been doing that before the 50 years I've had guns.
We just keep losing rights.
And we will continue to keep losing rights until we go on the offensive.

The first thing to do is every gun owner join the NRA.
Forget all the BS excuses you have because you are too damned cheap to pay for a membership. Join.

No one has been more pissed off at the NRA at times than me but the fact is, if it wasn't for the NRA you would be lucky if today you could own a 22 single shot rifle.

Politicians are scared to death of large voting blocks of like minded people.
With only 4 million members the politicians are scare of the NRA, as we just saw.
If the NRA had 20 million, 30 million members, or more, the anti gun politicians would be scared to death to just say the words, "gun control".

Along with joining the NRA, and other gun rights organizations, we have to come up with (legal) ways to attack our enemies.
They use every lie and dirty trick against us and they win. Let's follow their lead and start playing offense.
Playing defense, as we do, means we will still lose but maybe we lose slower, (which has been going on most of my life)

We are going to continue to lose if we don't "man up" and fight back.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 04-20-2013 at 07:53..
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58   #11
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

If the bill goes down to a filibuster its the Republican's fault. If the bill fails to pass a Democratically controlled senate its the Democrat's fault. The bill isn't going to pass. At this point its just who gets stuck with the political blame...and who the president can point his finger at and whine.

Gun control is done in the congress and with this president. This was really the only opportunity Zero had to get this done. The Democrats up for reelection in 2014 will not touch this with a ten foot pole. And forget it with a lame duck in his last two years as long as the Republicans maintain a majority in either house.

If you try to make it any harder than that you are over thinking the whole deal.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”

Last edited by Big Bird; 04-20-2013 at 08:01..
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:06   #12
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
They have been doing it all my life (I'm 50) and they will do it all your life. Accept it. Because your enemy in this fight is your own ability to wage it over a long period of time.

Your children will fight this fight.

People deride the NRA as paranoid and hypebolic...its not paranoia when your enemies continually prove what you are saying! Its certainly not hyperbole when there is prima facia evidence every day that the other side intends what we say they do

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39   #13
unit1069

It's obvious to me from reading "progressive" comments and watching politicians in DC that the Radical Left is waiting for another mass shooting to pursue their goal of voiding the Second Amendment.

I think Wayne LaPierre/NRA and other pro-rights groups ought not to sit back and wait for the next outrage; they should persistently and loudly call for an emergency program of volunteers to patrol our schools.

Rads from the president on down proclaim that if violating the Second Amendment "saves even a single life it's worth it". Pro-rights groups can pick up this exact refrain in the quest for a volunteer school patrol, supervised by law enforcement professionals. If a single child's life can be spared --- at little or no cost to the public, with no infringement upon civil rights --- wouldn't that be "worth it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Gun control is done in the congress and with this president.
Not by a long shot!

Last edited by unit1069; 04-20-2013 at 08:42..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31   #14
Caver 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
That's nothing new.

Forget all the BS excuses you have because you are too damned cheap to pay for a membership. Join.

No one has been more pissed off at the NRA at times than me but the fact is, if it wasn't for the NRA you would be lucky if today you could own a 22 single shot rifle.

With only 4 million members the politicians are scare of the NRA, as we just saw.
If the NRA had 20 million, 30 million members, or more, the anti gun politicians would be scared to death to just say the words, "gun control".

Along with joining the NRA, and other gun rights organizations, we have to come up with (legal) ways to attack our enemies.
They use every lie and dirty trick against us and they win. Let's follow their lead and start playing offense.
Playing defense, as we do, means we will still lose but maybe we lose slower, (which has been going on most of my life)

I agree. I've been owning guns for close to 60 years and I've seen the same things you have. I've written letters and contributed to pro gun groups including the NRA for most all that time. What you say M2, is dead on. The fact we worked for and got CCW is great, but more must be done.

Their side will never quit. And the media and public education system is on their side. Generations are being raised to believe the Second Amendment doesn't mean what it says. A lie repeated often enough becomes believable. Too many people either don't care or believe the lie.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:42   #15
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

Quote:
That's nothing new.

This. All day this. 100% this.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:01   #16
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

obum still hold the winning hand so all of this back and forth is only buying us a couple more years of freedom. A roll over in the next four years with the Supreme Court and it is all over for us.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04   #17
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
That's nothing new.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:19   #18
Z71bill

In some states - gun rights have actually been expanded from what they were 20 or 30 years ago.

How many states have added CC and a castle doctrine?

It is not all doom and gloom --

Not a free ride from here either -
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:24   #19
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

M2 Carbine is right. I get aggravated at the NRA but they are the only reason we still have citizen owned weapons.

I have sent almost 600.00 to the NRA since Sandy Hook because the stakes are higher than any time in our history.

We can continue to play defensive and lose one "common sense" right after another until we have none or we can use momentum to push and secure our rights in 2014.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:25   #20
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

NRA Life Membership $300 here:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...ampaignID=ar15

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:44   #21
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Terming a defeat as a pause saves face.

A classic bit of doubletalk from the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War: Our forces succeeded in retreating on all fronts without losing any ground.
Old 04-20-2013, 17:46   #22
Maxx702
Infamous Member

Gun control legislation is dead for the foreseeable future at the federal level.

The party of a second term President historically does not fare well in the mid-term congressional election. That's the good news.

The bad news: The public has never been this ignorant before.
We are in uncharted territory here.
Maxx702 is offline   Reply With Quote