SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2013, 16:43   #161
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

He knows that. This is just his disingenuous tact to poke LE.
Seen it many times before, and even if he had no knowledge/clue about what is required, it's been explained to him numerous times (with links to source).

He's not interested in reasoned discourse. Exercise of bias is all important.

Last edited by TBO; 04-19-2013 at 16:44..
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:45   #162
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
[COLOR="Navy"]He knows that. This is just his disingenuous tact to poke LE.
Someone has selective reading syndrome.
Old 04-19-2013, 16:45   #163
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Absolutely correct. I am sorry your math skills dont allow you to get that number.
You can't bluff your way through math.
Try again.
Old 04-19-2013, 16:45   #164
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
The court system doesn’t judge reasonableness based on probability of success.

I think you would have a pretty hard time convincing a judge that this did not constitute an exigent circumstance where obtaining a warrant for each and every property wouldn't take so much time as to creat a public safety issue.
That would only apply if it can be articulated that the property in question was the one housing the wanted person and spending the time to obtain a warrant would allow for escape or danger to occupants, etc. Exigent circumstances does not allow dragnet searches of properties otherwise protected by the 4th Amendment. I disagree that a judge would consider blanket searches of city blocks as "exigent circumstances". Short of a formal declaration of martial law...
G19G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:48   #165
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Well, if they kick me out of the house, how do you expect me me to make them an Espresso? I dont make a very good latte nor espresso when a gun is pointed at me.

And the donuts. Sorry, when I have donuts in the house, I eat them. I dont save donuts for unexpected vistors.
In that case, I would suggest keeping a tape recorder and a tube of KY handy.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:49   #166
HarlDane

double post

Last edited by HarlDane; 04-19-2013 at 16:50..
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:52   #167
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
The court system doesn’t judge reasonableness based on probability of success.

I think you would have a pretty hard time convincing a judge that this did not constitute an exigent circumstance where obtaining a warrant for each and every property wouldn't take so much time as to creat a public safety issue.
Couldn't be that its that way BY DESIGN or anything, huh?
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:54   #168
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWPD View Post
As a practical matter, you have no choice but to let the officers search. The situation is an exigent one and their actions would be deemed reasonable should it come to some sort of litigation.

To the GTers who would tell the officers they couldn't enter, well, should you ever be in that actual situation let us all know how it works out for you.
I disagree. To amount to an exigent circumstance that allows a warrantless entry, they'd have to see the guy enter the house (hot pursuit) or someone inside would have to be in imminent danger (or evidence in danger of imminent destruction). Just really, really wanting to catch somebody is not on of the exigent search circumstances that allows a warrantless search, no matter how much you want to catch the person.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:54   #169
costanza187
I like Macs

I figure if there is a search of this magnitude. They are on a man-hunt for a freak like this guy... if you aren't cooperating, you are just an A-hole.
Old 04-19-2013, 16:55   #170
HarlDane

Quote:
So then it is all feeling?
It's the totality of the circumstances.

Last edited by HarlDane; 04-19-2013 at 16:56..
Old 04-19-2013, 16:58   #171
HarlDane

Does anyone have any evidence to suggest any of these searches have been done without consent?
Old 04-19-2013, 17:00   #172
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo View Post
This is what needs to be considered. Though I ordinarily would not appreciate SWAT type individuals coming into my house without a warrant, considering the totality of circumstances, I would cooperate.

It’s not me they’re looking for. They’re looking for homicidal maniacs that have ruined hundreds of lives in the last few days, and have paralyzed a major city with their violence.
I see and understand what you are saying -

But I also think that during "emergency" situations - having the government follow the rules / protections is even MORE important.

Sorry we had to shoot up those families - they didn't want us to come into their homes - but we are the government and there was a guy on the lose that was real dangerous - they said no reason to search - but we didn't believe them.

If a person wants to allow them to search - I don't care - but that should be a choice -
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 17:02   #173
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Does anyone have any evidence to suggest any of these searches have been done without consent?
None that I've seen. But if they didn't overreaact based on a complete absence of information, this wouldn't be the GNG Lounge. Aside from the reliability of the media, most people here read no farther than a headline or thread title and make upo the rest of the story for themselves.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 17:04   #174
ClydeG19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I disagree. To amount to an exigent circumstance that allows a warrantless entry, they'd have to see the guy enter the house (hot pursuit) or someone inside would have to be in imminent danger (or evidence in danger of imminent destruction). Just really, really wanting to catch somebody is not on of the exigent search circumstances that allows a warrantless search, no matter how much you want to catch the person.
This guy didn't rob the liquor store...he committed an act of terrorism, numerous other crimes, and was reportedly wearing a suicide vest. He is still a HUGE threat to the public at large and was (and I bet still is) contained in a small section of town. You don't put on a suicide vest because you intend on laying low.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 17:05   #175
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
The 4th doesn't require a warrant in all circumstances, if it did there would no reason to include the word unreasonable.
I realize that

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 04-19-2013, 17:05   #176
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
But I also think that during "emergency" situations - having the government follow the rules / protections is even MORE important.

Sorry we had to shoot up those families - they didn't want us to come into their homes - but we are the government and there was a guy on the lose that was real dangerous - they said no reason to search - but we didn't believe them.
Kent State. Katrina. California shooter. Boston Bombing.

Once the **** hits the fan, your rights and protections mean absolutely dick. And its very unusual that the people who violate them are ever brought to justice.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 17:05   #177
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19G20 View Post
That would only apply if it can be articulated that the property in question was the one housing the wanted person and spending the time to obtain a warrant would allow for escape or danger to occupants, etc. Exigent circumstances does not allow dragnet searches of properties otherwise protected by the 4th Amendment. I disagree that a judge would consider blanket searches of city blocks as "exigent circumstances". Short of a formal declaration of martial law...
Then I guess any evidence of criminal acts they stumble upon will get tossed in court if they decide to press charges. I'm sure they're willing to live with that.

Last edited by HarlDane; 04-19-2013 at 17:08..
Old 04-19-2013, 17:06   #178
Jack_Pine
CLM Number 257
Charter Lifetime Member

So...despite your all's conversation on the Constitution.............and it's merits.

Wife thinks they lifted the shut down to flush the kid out. To many movies? thoughts?

Fox is on it 6:07 cst ....cnn is catching up...........

Last edited by Jack_Pine; 04-19-2013 at 17:08..
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 17:07   #179
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Because that's what's going on here.
Old 04-19-2013, 17:08   #180
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Breaking shooting- 2nd suspect may be down.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?

Tags
arrogance of ignorance, brownshirts, jbterrific, no court needed, statists, the usual suspects