Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2013, 15:43   #121
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
im out. you cant argue with stupid.
You can. It just gets boring.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:44   #122
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

He's the same guy who took the Cops to task in the Chris Dorner manhunt because Chris Dorner died (again, using the same shtick, talking about things firmly that he know's nothing about).

Civil Liberties Issues

Civil Liberties Issues

Civil Liberties Issues
--------------------

Anything to poke at LE or LE members.
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:44   #123
Ian Moone

Just hide your pressure cooker and let them in ...but make sure they take off their hats first.
Ian Moone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:46   #124
Marine123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Moone View Post
Just hide your pressure cooker and let them in ...but make sure they take off their hats first.
Leave your pressure cooker out so they know it wasn't you.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Marine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:46   #125
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Normally I am in the "Get a warrant!" crowd... but these are extenuating circumstances that require citizens to work with law enforcement. The picture here is much bigger than my arrogant ass.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:46   #126
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpleyg View Post
Assume you are a Watertown, MA resident and the cops come a-knocking looking for Mr. Jihad. Do you answer and if you do, would you let them in for alook around or would you assume your word is good enough? What if they insist and force their way in? Does a manhunt like this suspend your Constitutional 4th Amendment rights?

Discuss.
Yes, yes I would let them in id offer them some coffee or something to drink or eat also. Id also be CCing all the time. Then as they left id thank them, tell them to be safe ,and say a prayer for them to be safe and catch the dude.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:47   #127
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
The city of Boston is on lock down.

What economic impact do you think this lockdown has?
Not as much as a bunch of dead and wounded citizens.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:49   #128
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
im out. you cant argue with stupid.
You are right, it's like mud wrestling with a pig- you just get dirty but the pig enjoys it.
czsmithGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:51   #129
WarCry

Quote:
You seem to be reading incorrectly. I have asked people who have claimed this is reasonable, to put a number on reasonable. How much of a chance of success does it take when performing an action for said action to be "reasonable"?
And you have also been asked to propose an alternative, which you seem to have conveniently overlooked.

So, I'm going to ask you point blank: If, by YOUR reasoning and math, this is such a fruitless endeavor, then what is the better course of action? What should they be doing instead?

I'll also point out the following: You broke down the numbers for success in finding the suspect in EACH HOUSE. But they're not expecting to find him in each house. That's idiotic, the chances of success change to a higher percentage with every house they clear. If they start with 2,000 houses, then they have a 1/2000 chance of finding him in the FIRST house. But when they've searched 1,995 houses, then they have a 1 in 5 chance of finding him in number 1,996 (working on the assumption of a tight perimeter).

But I'm still waiting to hear what they SHOULD be doing if they're acting so foolishly and emotionally now. You've repeated over and over that they're doing it wrong, but you have yet to offer an alternative. Criticism is easy. Constructive criticism seems beyond your ability.
Old 04-19-2013, 15:54   #130
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
Normally I am in the "Get a warrant!" crowd... but these are extenuating circumstances that require citizens to work with law enforcement. The picture here is much bigger than my arrogant ass.
This is what the 4th Amendment was made for.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-19-2013 at 15:54..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 15:58   #131
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio mossy oak View Post
It is my understanding that these are not simple knock on the door and let us in and have a looky looky searches..These are getting called out of your home via bull horn(or such).Once out of the dwelling you are ushered down the street by 50 or 60 police/swat, and the dwelling is cleared by LEO's in a thorough manner..This is a accurate depiction from the brother of a watertown resident ...

I would have to be put in the situation before I would know what I would do..
That is completely unacceptable

Old 04-19-2013, 16:00   #132
Ricky Ricardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
What is reasonable for one situation, may not be for another.
"Totality of circumstances".....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
This is what needs to be considered. Though I ordinarily would not appreciate SWAT type individuals coming into my house without a warrant, considering the totality of circumstances, I would cooperate.

It’s not me they’re looking for. They’re looking for homicidal maniacs that have ruined hundreds of lives in the last few days, and have paralyzed a major city with their violence.
Ricky Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:01   #133
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo View Post
This is what needs to be considered. Though I ordinarily would not appreciate SWAT type individuals coming into my house without a warrant, considering the totality of circumstances, I would cooperate.

It’s not me they’re looking for. They’re looking for homicidal maniacs that have ruined hundreds of lives in the last few days, and have paralyzed a major city with their violence.
Right! Give the man a cigar!
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 16:03   #134
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

5:02 PM, fresh from TV.

The Police are NOT searching door to door on every house.
They are using information to search houses, but not EVERY house.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 04-19-2013, 16:03   #135
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

News conference to start momentarily.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 04-19-2013, 16:07   #136
WarCry

Quote:
I know this is a completely irrelevant comment that carries no weight in the conversation, but....

I REALLY hate the look of the uniform-cap the MSP Superintendent is wearing. It looks like someone took an Army dress-uniform cover and deflated it.
Old 04-19-2013, 16:08   #137
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
I alluded to this in my first post.

What is a possible outcome of not doing a house to house search?

Could someone be held hostage and the police could have discovered this during a house search?

Could said hostages be murdered if the search was not conducted?

Could police be sued for failing to search when they had the resources to do so?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
None of this justifies violating the 4th.

Old 04-19-2013, 16:10   #138
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
None of this justifies violating the 4th.

1)The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and

2)No Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Just to be clear, there are 2 separate parts to the 4th. Many mistakenly run them together.

Now, do you have any evidence of violations of the 4th amendment happening here, or are you just talking?
Old 04-19-2013, 16:11   #139
Jack_Pine
CLM Number 257
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
He just said they did every house, whatever. Now they lift the "stay at home ban"?

My question is where is the car that the kid got away in? I may have missed this but that seems key....to me.

Full disclosure...did not read entire thread......
Old 04-19-2013, 16:12   #140
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
I'll also point out the following: You broke down the numbers for success in finding the suspect in EACH HOUSE. But they're not expecting to find him in each house. That's idiotic, the chances of success change to a higher percentage with every house they clear. If they start with 2,000 houses, then they have a 1/2000 chance of finding him in the FIRST house. But when they've searched 1,995 houses, then they have a 1 in 5 chance of finding him in number 1,996 (working on the assumption of a tight perimeter).
I already addressed this. But it seems that some say that Bayes Thereom doesn’t apply. So take it up with the earlier posters who said that this math doesn’t apply.

Quote:

And if I have set up such a strawman and lets say they had a 5% chance of catching him, Bayes successful run theorem says that by now they they should have had nearly a 99% success in finding him.

Use a P of 0.05 and n of 70 and see what the probability of success is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWPD View Post
DanaT:

"Bayes successful run theorem" is of no interest to the law officers looking for a person who, I suggest, could be described as a homicidal maniac.

Tags
arrogance of ignorance, brownshirts, jbterrific, no court needed, statists, the usual suspects