GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2013, 22:43   #426
JW1178

Let me ask you something Ohio Copper, do you think this would be a better country if police could search anyone, anytime for no reason?
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 22:45   #427
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Your vague question and answering may work with your mother but not LE. It's a yes or no question, don't pull your magic the gathering BS.

As for your second example, please cite.

Also what's a "good" probable cause as opposed to an average probable cause.
Interesting. I always appreciate the LE perspective on stuff like this.

How many years have you been a cop?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 23:41   #428
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
Let me ask you something Ohio Copper, do you think this would be a better country if police could search anyone, anytime for no reason?
Where did you get that idea from anything I've said?

Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 23:42   #429
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Source of second example is hard to find, it's like a needle in the haystack on google. But lots of drug charges for anything get dismissed over anything a lawyer can provide.

If I refuse to tell you yes or no, what are you going to do? Arrest me? I don't think so, I have to break a law. If I don't say yes, then it's not permission. Search without permission or a warrant and your search means nothing. Even if you get a warrant, the reason for the warrant can be argued. The 4th was put there to protect us from unreasonable search and seizure. If it is determined unreasonable, meaning not having good reason, it can be thrown out.

I don't do drugs or smuggle them, but I am a taxpayer, and I get tired of my money going to pay people to hunt for drugs. Especially pot. Lets say you arrest someone with a few bags of weed, enough to say they were selling. The accused doesn't have much money, so the taxpayer gets to pay for the defense, prosecution, the judge, you name it. He gets convicted, now we have to pay for him to be put in prison. How much is this going to cost? Easily this could rack up a bill of over 100K. Thanks for the hard work officers, keeping that destructive pot off of the streets!!! Billions and billions of dollars on the GOP's glorious War on Drugs.
You broke a law in the first place, that's why I'm asking for permission to search.

See how this goes?

Good thing for me is IDGAF what some lawyer or prosecutor does, my job is on the street. Ill do my job, enforce the law and do what I have to do to keep people safe. I don't lose sleep over some back room deal that goes on.

You're smart enough to figure out that "a couple of bags of weed" is about the same as a parking ticket in most states.

Your argument is tired and has been heard ad nauseum.

Same drivel, different poster.

Last edited by Ohio Copper; 04-21-2013 at 23:45..
Old 04-21-2013, 23:47   #430
JW1178

Quote:
You broke a law in the first place, that's why I'm asking for permission to search.

See how this goes?

No, that's for a judge to decide, you can only accuse/charge me. I am a class A driver, when I used to driva a semi we were pulled over and checked for no reason.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 23:48   #431
Ohio Copper

Quote:
No, that's for a judge to decide, you can only accuse/charge me. I am a class A driver, when I used to driva a semi we were pulled over and checked for no reason.
By whom? Motor carrier enforcement?

You're talking about apples and oranges, chief.

I see where this is going and well end it now, happy trails.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:04   #432
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

GOP's drug war?

Drug war has been pushed by both parties for a long time. Much of that war has turned the tide toward the militarized police state. It is not a partisan issue. The DEA has arrested more state-legal marijuana users and sellers under Obama than GWB ever did.
"If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, is it not possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without their knowing it?"-Edward Bernays, grandfather of modern propaganda
G19G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21   #433
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

See how this goes?

Good thing for me is IDGAF what some lawyer or prosecutor does, my job is on the street. Ill do my job, enforce the law and do what I have to do to keep people safe. I don't lose sleep over some back room deal that goes on.

You're smart enough to figure out that "a couple of bags of weed" is about the same as a parking ticket in most states.

Your argument is tired and has been heard ad nauseum.

Same drivel, different poster.

You sound like a salty old cop who's been there and seen a little bit of everything. I bet there are a lot of cops around here who could learn from you.

How many years have you been a cop?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:32   #434
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
That is exactly what happened in Katrina. "Only law enforcement will be allowed to have guns." Police Chief Eddie Compass.
And what happened to "chief" Compass upon his utterance of that infamous phrase and his other dastardly deeds?

Katrina is the vile, evil, rank smelling example of a law enforcement situation gone bad, the corpse that you and others just love digging up and parading around when someone says, "...what happens when they decide gun owners are the enemy..." or some similar drivel.

So, what did happen after Katrina in New Orleans, in Louisiana, in countless other states as the direct result of the lessons learned from the political leadership disaster in NOLA?

Are those lessons and resulting actions of no importance to y'all?

Have either of you offered to sponsor, to initiate FOIA requests for all videos and still images as well as audio recordings of the searches? Oh hell no you haven't.

It is easier to ***** and complain, drag out the dead bodies and bemoan the unthinkable future than to examine what really happened, especially if when examined and put into real-time perspective it is revealed that the behavior during those hours was acceptable and should be used as a standard going forward. It might happen...

Sure, there will be court cases. Civil rights lawyers have spawn to feed, too. And there will probably be decisions going in both directions based on good and bad behavior as perceived by the courts.

Crap, guys, we learned a lot from Katrina. Laws were passed to prevent repeats of what happened. LE policies were rewritten. Some changes made news. Most didn't. A lot were along the lines of "If anyone in this agency tries that ****, you will be lucky to get a school crossing guard job!"

If I am wrong about any of that, someone actually in law enforcement, please correct me.

The issue, and the focal point of any changes based on Boston and Watertown, should be on the laws and case law supporting them first, then the politicians who used them.

Interestingly enough, there are those asking in one breath why didn't LE do more to prevent the men from planting the bombs, as in have a greater bomb detection presence, and in the next breath complaining about the police presence used to find the second bomber and other bombs he may have possessed. Ain't that special...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:03   #435
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Why do you put "chief" in apostrophes? He was actually chief. When he was appointed by a then reform minded Mayor Nagin he was heralded as a cop's chief. A players coach.

I can't respond to your long line of questions here from my phone but essentially new laws were passed prohibiting police from doing that. Frankly it gives me no comfort because what they did was illegal at that time already. Moreover to best of my knowledge no cops were held accountable for the gun confiscations. A group were convicted of murder. I can't recall if any were tried for looting or the stolen Cadillacs they took.

I remember watching the video of all those folks at the convention center suffering and waiting for help. I remember wondering why they didn't just walk across the Mississippi River because there was a bridge over their heads. Do you know why they didn't? They couldn't. Deputies blockaded the bridge. Sealed them in. Did anyone die because of it? Were there any trials for civil rights violations?

How about the rapes and murders at the superdome. Guns were taken there too. Illegally.

Katrina is relevant to these discussions because it shows what can happen when cops act outside of the law because they know best in a crisis. They never thought some of those deeds would be discovered.

Why do you want to crush any mention of it? It's real. People suffered.

So tell me Russ. What really happened in Katrina?

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-22-2013 at 06:04..
Old 04-22-2013, 06:26   #436
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Russ - why did governments have to pass laws prohibiting gun seizures during crises when it was clearly illegal already? What assurances do citizens have that these new laws will be followed? If guns are made illegal who will enforce those laws?

Old 04-22-2013, 06:59   #437
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Russ - why did governments have to pass laws prohibiting gun seizures during crises when it was clearly illegal already? What assurances do citizens have that these new laws will be followed? If guns are made illegal who will enforce those laws?

Good questions. I suspect this thread will now be moved to an even more obscure location now that it has been found.......
Old 04-22-2013, 18:21   #438
*ASH*

Quote:
Why do you put "chief" in apostrophes? He was actually chief. When he was appointed by a then reform minded Mayor Nagin he was heralded as a cop's chief. A players coach.

I can't respond to your long line of questions here from my phone but essentially new laws were passed prohibiting police from doing that. Frankly it gives me no comfort because what they did was illegal at that time already. Moreover to best of my knowledge no cops were held accountable for the gun confiscations. A group were convicted of murder. I can't recall if any were tried for looting or the stolen Cadillacs they took.

I remember watching the video of all those folks at the convention center suffering and waiting for help. I remember wondering why they didn't just walk across the Mississippi River because there was a bridge over their heads. Do you know why they didn't? They couldn't. Deputies blockaded the bridge. Sealed them in. Did anyone die because of it? Were there any trials for civil rights violations?

How about the rapes and murders at the superdome. Guns were taken there too. Illegally.

Katrina is relevant to these discussions because it shows what can happen when cops act outside of the law because they know best in a crisis. They never thought some of those deeds would be discovered.

Why do you want to crush any mention of it? It's real. People suffered.

So tell me Russ. What really happened in Katrina?

STOP TELLING THE TRUTH CF - you are such a debbie downer. i wonder how old folks were when katrina happened
Old 04-22-2013, 19:41   #439
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

You're alright RussP... hope many others get what your saying!

Last edited by OldSchool64; 04-22-2013 at 19:52..
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 20:13   #440
Z71bill

Seems like the government could have at least let people know what was going on - be up front about it.

Give folks a chance to put on their shoes - maybe grab a jacket - lock up the dog.

In this case TV and internet was up and running.

Could have said - if you live in the search area -

Government agents dressed in full military gear may be coming to your home

If you want us to search your home we will - if you say no we will not

or

We are coming to your door - and will order you out into the street under threat of being "shot at" - since we are not real good shots the chance of you actually being hit is about 1 in 790.

BTW - If you need anything form the store let us know we will stop and pick it up for you.

Last edited by Z71bill; 04-22-2013 at 20:16..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 20:42   #441
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
Seems like the government could have at least let people know what was going on - be up front about it.

Give folks a chance to put on their shoes - maybe grab a jacket - lock up the dog.

or

We are coming to your door - and will order you out into the street under threat of being "shot at" - since we are not real good shots the chance of you actually being hit is about 1 in 790.

BTW - If you need anything form the store let us know we will stop and pick it up for you.

Now that is a nice job of thinnly veiled LE bashing.

I guess they could have sat down with each house and spent an extra 20-30 minutes...

...not like time was of the importance or anything.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 21:16   #442
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post

I guess they could have sat down with each house and spent an extra 20-30 minutes...

It would have saved them time if they would have announced their intentions.

People would be prepared - would have been more organized.

But I guess if you want citizens to get the full criminal experience keeping it a surprise would be required.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 21:17   #443
Ohio Copper

Quote:

I love getting job and tactical advice from folks who have no prior training or experience, disabilities or knowledge.

We work on a field where everyone can do our job better but no one wants to do it.

Ill be back later, I'm on hour 23 of a mandatory 24 hour old on a suspect and I need to get a confession out of him.

Old 04-22-2013, 21:18   #444
Ohio Copper

Quote:
It would have saved them time if they would have announced their intentions.

People would be prepared - would have been more organized.

But I guess if you want citizens to get the full criminal experience keeping it a surprise would be required.
I don't know if you're stupid or you really believe what you're saying. Scary nonetheless.

Maybe they could have just asked pretty please if the bad guy would surrender?

Old 04-22-2013, 21:23   #445
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
I love getting job and tactical advice from folks who have no prior training or experience, disabilities or knowledge.

We work on a field where everyone can do our job better but no one wants to do it.

Ill be back later, I'm on hour 23 of a mandatory 24 hour old on a suspect and I need to get a confession out of him.

You must have seen a lot in your years of law enforcement. How long have you been a cop?
Old 04-22-2013, 21:24   #446
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

TBO - I was so busy during this whole mess that I honestly knew very little of what was going on. I've tried to remain reasonable about the whole thing because I didn't know many facts. I just saw this video and I have to say I weep for this country.

Old 04-22-2013, 23:48   #447
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

What do you know about the totality of circumstances surrounding that video (the house, the info the Cops had, the location, etc)?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:10   #448
Ohio Copper

Quote:
You must have seen a lot in your years of law enforcement. How long have you been a cop?
You've never once truthfully answered a question that I posed to you.

There are plenty of people on here who can vouch for me. Start digging.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:38   #449
G19G20
Status Quo 2014

Quote:

or

Good post. I agree. What the heck is the emergency broadcast system for if it isn't used to notify residents of things like this? That damn noise yells at me every sunday night when the tv is on and I least expect it.
"If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, is it not possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without their knowing it?"-Edward Bernays, grandfather of modern propaganda
G19G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:09   #450
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19G20 View Post
Good post. I agree. What the heck is the emergency broadcast system for if it isn't used to notify residents of things like this? That damn noise yells at me every sunday night when the tv is on and I least expect it.
It's good for letting you know when it's going to hail, not giving away responding LE plans. That's how officers get ambushed and killed.

Tags
arrogance of ignorance, brownshirts, jbterrific, no court needed, statists, the usual suspects