SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2013, 19:52   #226
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Door to door searches are far different than door to door checks. As it turns out neither checks nor searches found him

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Neither did a K9 search or using aviation. Unless one looks at it as an entire program.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:06   #227
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Neither did a K9 search or using aviation. Unless one looks at it as an entire program.
That's hilarious

certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:08   #228
HarlDane

Quote:
The first amendment was written to protect a citizens right to speak out against their government. It has nothing to do with this situation. The comparison is absurd. I cannot jail or penalize a fellow citizen for saying something i dont like. Only the government can do that. Hence the reason for the first amendment.

If you are going to try to set a trap at least think it through.

The first amendment protects all speech, not just political speech. It's protections cover you from criminal and civil penalties. In other words, you can't sue me when I say you're (the generic you) an idiot for denying the police access to search property during a manhunt anymore than the government can prosecute me for the same.

It seems silly that you find it offensive to criticize anyone exercising their 4th amendment rights but not their 1st amendment rights.

Last edited by HarlDane; 04-19-2013 at 20:11..
HarlDane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:13   #229
Drain You
NRA member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post
I have 3 dogs - so I would not let them in my house.
This x 2
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:20   #230
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Why should your choice be free from criticism? Just because you have the right to refuse a search doesn't mean others can't voice their opinion on the matter.
He didn't say they couldn't voice their opinion. He said he found it offensive, There is a huge difference. He didn't say his choice should be free of criticism. He said he found their criticism offensive.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:26   #231
racerford

Quote:
The first amendment protects all speech, not just political speech. It's protections cover you from criminal and civil penalties. In other words, you can't sue me when I say you're (the generic you) an idiot for denying the police access to search property during a manhunt anymore than the government can prosecute me for the same.

It seems silly that you find it offensive to criticize anyone exercising their 4th amendment rights but not their 1st amendment rights.
Actually the person that you said was "stupid" could sue you in a civil court for slander. You would have to show the statement was true. Or show that it was clear it was an stated as an opinion and not a fact. The person you said was stupid would have to show damages.

In any case, they could sue. They may not win.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:26   #232
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

"No reason to fret over my house officer. I carry an OD Glock with marine spring cups and have a high post count on GT. It's all good."
Old 04-19-2013, 20:30   #233
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Ufgood View Post
"No reason to fret over my house officer. I carry an OD Glock with marine spring cups and have a high post count on GT. It's all good."
Maybe the police were confiscating all Glocks since Glock won't self induce a recall due to brass to face issues?

hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:32   #234
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
Actually the person that you said was "stupid" could sue you in a civil court for slander. You would have to show the statement was true. Or show that it was clear it was an stated as an opinion and not a fact. The person you said was stupid would have to show damages.

In any case, they could sue. They may not win.
Slander require much more than an insult.
Old 04-19-2013, 20:32   #235
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

"Mil-spec"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:32   #236
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:

The first amendment does not protect all speech. I can't sue you for calling me an idiot because I have no damages. I CAN sue you for calling me a pedophile. The first amendment has nothing to do with it.

Again, think your traps through if you want to look clever.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-19-2013 at 20:33..
Old 04-19-2013, 20:39   #237
DanaT
Pharaoh

CNN is reporting it is was a civilian that found him and not house searches.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us...nce/index.html

6th paragraph.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 20:41   #238
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
He didn't say they couldn't voice their opinion. He said he found it offensive, There is a huge difference. He didn't say his choice should be free of criticism. He said he found their criticism offensive.
I was pointing out the hypocrisy of being offended when some rights were being exercised, no matter the situation and not others.

It's like someone being offended at criticism of the Westboro group because they were exercising their rights.
Old 04-19-2013, 20:47   #239
ancient_serpent

I'd rather not let anyone in, but I'm not going to stand there arguing with the officers at the door.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 21:02   #240
Ohio Copper

Last spring I was involved in a manhunt for a fugitive who fired on four police officers. I was part of a search team that cleared eleven occupied residences in a neighborhood where he was seen running into only a few minutes prior.

Not one of the residents complained or spouted any drivel like what I've seen here. In fact, we got an overwhelming amount of support in the form of letters and posts on our facebook page from those residents thanking us.

You can post all the crap you want about your rights and whatever, but when it comes down to it, right down to the very nitty gritty of 8 guys with rifles asking you to search because they're looking for a wanted fugitive who tried to kill police officers; your attitude changes.

Like this incident, it was all LEGAL.

They were not going door to door in an entire city looking for crime. They were going to a specified area looking for a specified individual whom they had reason to believe was in the area. A lot of you don't know what you don't know. I suggest you relax, put on your Call of Duty and let the big boys handle it.

Flame on.
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 21:05   #241
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain You View Post
This x 2
You have six dogs in your house?

Last edited by Z71bill; 04-19-2013 at 21:10..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 21:06   #242
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
You can post all the crap you want about your rights and whatever, but when it comes down to it, right down to the very nitty gritty of 8 guys with rifles asking you to search because they're looking for a wanted fugitive who tried to kill police officers; your attitude changes.
Wow. So what you are saying is that I need to get 7 buddies with rifles to point them at Heidi Klum so she consents to having sex with me?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 04-19-2013, 21:15   #243
hpracing007

I don't talk to the police. I wouldn't even answer the door.

Check out people like this:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-fbi-bulletin/

"They can give me a cavity search right now and I'd be perfectly happy," said Daniel Wood, a video producer from New York City who was waiting for a train.
hpracing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 21:17   #244
*ASH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Wow. So what you are saying is that I need to get 7 buddies with rifles to point them at Heidi Klum so she consents to having sex with me?

and for my answer is no , get a search warrant or whatever . house to house dont mean **** .

first off if he is hiding in someones house , someone will tip officers at the door . and 9 times out of 10 it ends like it did tonight with some dude going out to smoke a cigarette notices tarp flappin on boat goes over sees dude , calls police .

Last edited by *ASH*; 04-19-2013 at 21:20..
*ASH* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 21:20   #245
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post

and for my answer is no , get a search warrant or whatever . house to house dont mean **** .
Where can I get a judge to sign off on me performing a "cavity search" on her?
2x4=8, not 14.
Old 04-19-2013, 21:22   #246
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Last spring I was involved in a manhunt for a fugitive who fired on four police officers. I was part of a search team that cleared eleven occupied residences in a neighborhood where he was seen running into only a few minutes prior.

Not one of the residents complained or spouted any drivel like what I've seen here. In fact, we got an overwhelming amount of support in the form of letters and posts on our facebook page from those residents thanking us.

Like this incident, it was all LEGAL.

They were not going door to door in an entire city looking for crime. They were going to a specified area looking for a specified individual whom they had reason to believe was in the area. A lot of you don't know what you don't know. I suggest you relax, put on your Call of Duty and let the big boys handle it.

Flame on.
8 guys with rifles at your front door to change your attitude. Love thug tactics by po po! Intimidate the citizens!

None of the 11 homeowners refused so it certainly was legal.

Had they not agreed, what would your crew have done? What if they didn't answer the door? Kick down the door and clear the house?

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-19-2013 at 21:22..
Old 04-19-2013, 21:24   #247
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
I was pointing out the hypocrisy of being offended when some rights were being exercised, no matter the situation and not others.

It's like someone being offended at criticism of the Westboro group because they were exercising their rights.
You aren't exercising a right. You just haven't caused me damages. That's been established.
Old 04-19-2013, 21:27   #248
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
You aren't exercising a right. You just haven't caused me damages. That's been established.
Serious question--what damages are caused by a police search which finds nothing?
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 21:37   #249
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Serious question--what damages are caused by a police search which finds nothing?
Perhaps nothing. Perhaps they tear up your house. However, the Bill of Rights was written to restrict the government. Don't need damages. The founders knew you guys were problems.

Laws are written to govern interactions between citizens. The constitution was written to govern the interactions between citizens and government.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-19-2013 at 21:39..
Old 04-19-2013, 21:42   #250
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Using your logic -

What damage does a Peeping Tom do- If he looks in your window but doesn't "see" anything?

You want one looking in your window?

Does your wife?

Your daughter?

Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arrogance of ignorance, brownshirts, jbterrific, no court needed, statists, the usual suspects