SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 21:13   #1
bkkd

Violation of rights

Ok here is the situation. My cousins wife got into trouble and cannot have guns or ammo.

My cousin owns guns, the parole officer told him no guns in the house.

Cousin brings all of his guns and ammo for me to store for him.

If the cousin had a gun vault and the wife did not have access to them, what's the problem? It seems that this is a violation of the cousins second amendment rights. He did nothing wrong yet he is being denied access and ownership of guns and ammo in his home. Has this ever been challenged in the court system? It seems to be a cut and dried case...
Old 06-20-2013, 21:30   #2
Ohio Copper

In what way did she get in trouble? It has to either be a weapons offense or an offense of violence.

She is on probation, a term of that probation is 'no weapons in the house'. She agreed to that. If she does not agree to the terms of probation she is free to either go to county jail or prison for her offense.

We'd need more info at least; what state is this in?

If you truly feel it is a violation of their rights, why have they not contacted an attorney?

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Old 06-20-2013, 21:31   #3
NavyMSU

Yup, cut and dried.

He can always divorce her.

I'm kidding.. But in all honesty, she is not allowed to have firearms in her home. He makes the sacrifice to stay with her.

Cut and dried, no guns.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 06-20-2013, 21:38   #4
bkkd

I can't give anymore details, for the privacy but it just seems wrong and an attempt. At back door gun control for the whole family.
Old 06-20-2013, 21:39   #5
bkkd

Just was curious if this had ever been challenged in court.
Old 06-20-2013, 21:48   #6
Pima Pants
Urine Idiot

It's going to depend on exactly what the probation or parole conditions say. Many only prohibit the individual from having firearms under their control. In my days as a parole officer, if the family member locked up the guns and the probationer did not have any access, then it was alright. The same went for searching the residence; we could only search the areas under the control of the probationer and any "common areas" such as the living room.

The distinction was always made that the other family members were not on probation or parole and our jurisdiction did not extend to them.

Court precedents have historically required the probation or parole conditions to be "reasonable and enforceable". However, parole and probation officers are known for overstepping legal boundaries and making up the rules as they go along. Easy enough to challenge by complaining to their supervisors.

--Kim Sowol

Last edited by Pima Pants; 06-20-2013 at 21:52..
Old 06-20-2013, 21:55   #7
bkkd

My thoughts exactly, if she does not have access to the guns, well.......

I'm thinking how can one person agree to a stipulation that violates another persons rights.....

I really think this would win in the Supreme Court

The stipulation would never be legally binding and should not have been a condition of parole or even asked.

Last edited by bkkd; 06-20-2013 at 21:58..
Old 06-20-2013, 21:59   #8

No in the house means no guns. Those are the agreed conditions. Seems clear to me.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
Old 06-20-2013, 21:59   #9
Pima Pants
Urine Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkd View Post

I'm thinking how can one person agree to a stipulation that violates another persons rights.....

It probably would. I think the cousin misunderstood what the written parole or probation conditions say. It really doesn't matter what the PO says are the rules; they must be in writing.

--Kim Sowol
Old 06-20-2013, 22:06   #10
kiole

Quote:

The stipulation would never be legally binding and should not have been a condition of parole or even asked.
His rights weren't violated.. He can own and keep the guns, she will go to jail not him.
Old 06-20-2013, 22:07   #11
bkkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
No in the house means no guns. Those are the agreed conditions. Seems clear to me.
Until the same situation happens to you, lol the crime was non violent and she only got 3years and was shocked out after 45 days....

Last edited by bkkd; 06-20-2013 at 22:08..
Old 06-20-2013, 22:10   #12
bkkd

This is pure and simple back door gun control for an entire household.
Old 06-20-2013, 22:14   #13
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
This is pure and simple back door gun control for an entire household.
So fight it. Put the guns back in the house where the felon wife can't get them. When she's violated, she has standing to challenge it.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 06-20-2013, 22:14   #14
bkkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylenewman View Post
His rights weren't violated.. He can own and keep the guns, she will go to jail not him.
The condition itself violates the rest of the household and should not be allowed.
Old 06-20-2013, 22:17   #15
bkkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
So fight it. Put the guns back in the house where the felon wife can't get them. When she's violated, she has standing to challenge it.
That will have to be their call, I was wondering if it had ever been challenged before
Old 06-20-2013, 22:17   #16

Quote:
Until the same situation happens to you, lol
Not going to happen to me. I'm not giving up my firearms because I'm not and will not live with a felon.

Quote:
the crime was non violent and she only got 3years and was shocked out after 45 days....
If those are the conditions of release and they are agreed to by both parties, those are the conditions that have to be met.

If a party doesn't like conditions they should walk away.

Can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 06-20-2013 at 22:23..
Old 06-20-2013, 22:21   #17
Gonzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
In what way did she get in trouble? It has to either be a weapons offense or an offense of violence.

She is on probation, a term of that probation is 'no weapons in the house'. She agreed to that. If she does not agree to the terms of probation she is free to either go to county jail or prison for her offense.

We'd need more info at least; what state is this in?

If you truly feel it is a violation of their rights, why have they not contacted an attorney?
Not really, any offense with a possible maximum sentence of >1 year disqualifies a person. Many nonviolent misdemeanors qualify.
Old 06-20-2013, 22:23   #18
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
That will have to be their call, I was wondering if it had ever been challenged before
It has been. As mentioned above, it depends on what's actually written in the terms that got her released from prison. Your crimes cannot effect my rights. Now if hubby wants guns, and wife agreed to "no guns on premises", then he has a choice to make. Otoh, if she agreed to no guns under her control, it's a different issue.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 06-20-2013, 22:24   #19
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

This is stupid.

If she is safe enough to be on parole, she should be safe enough to have guns.

If she's on parole and intends to shoot someone, she can get a gun elsewhere.

Denying felons guns makes about as much sense as every other gun law on the books.
Old 06-20-2013, 22:25   #20
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

IMHO, if she was represented by counsel, then it is a done deal.

If she was tried/adjudicated pro se, your cousin might have legal recourse with certain stipulations.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"Thanks, but I typically don't follow the advice of condescending dolts." -GT's own: badge315

Closed Thread