SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-18-2013, 18:08   #1
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Original MagPul Drawing

Sooo... if i had the original drawing of the first MagPul, what do you think it might be worth?

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier
www.BrooksTactical.com Official AGrip™ Manufacturer Website

AGrip™ Installation Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnDjdfWkLY

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 18:11   #2
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

A dollar.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 18:28   #3
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

You mean that thing they made that grunts used to make from duct tape and para cord?
Old 04-18-2013, 18:56   #4
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
You mean that thing they made that grunts used to make from duct tape and para cord?
Good one, Dennis! You know the history!

No, this came right after that... or during, actually. The MagPul idea came directly from those. Those were basically the first prototypes.

Brooks W. Speier

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:10   #5
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

So are you buying or selling said drawings?

Actually, for long-term use, I'd rather a magpul than the duct tape bleeding all over my stuff. I never handled one of the first-gen's, but it seemed very. . . Eastern European in nature. Just had that look to it. Not that it was bad. It was a simple solution to a simple problem.

In a tight mag pouch, the 2nd Gen baseplate ones are handy. I just don't go grabbing into a pouch often. But I did buy a couple for the LSHD factor.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33   #6
Atlas
transmogrifier

The answer would depend on...

Are you speaking of the original design drawings for a Magpul product?
Do you own the rights to that drawing?

I would consult an attorney versed in IP law.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 04-19-2013 at 09:34..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 16:11   #7
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

I'm not buying or selling the drawing... i just have it and thought this would be a fun topic seeing how popular, significant, and well MagPul is doing in this crazy world we live in.

The drawing is an informal original pen and ink concept drawing, hand drawn, no "rulers" on what amounts to a scrap of paper and is about 20 years old. Bear in mind that this is before everybody had computers... and before the internet became so popular... also before GlockTalk. The way the story goes is that way back when Richard Fitzpatrick, the inventor, called as a customer to get an AGrip. We got chatting and he said he had an invention but wasn't sure how to go about introducing it as a new product without getting the idea stolen from him. I told him that what ever he does, don't tell anyone, because they will just rip him off. But, i said, if he tells me what it is (hahahaha) i would not rip him off but i would do my best to tell him if he really had a good idea worth going for and how he might best go about producing it. So, he trusted me and told me what it was and mailed me the drawing. I then told him i thought he had a great product idea and that he should go for it, and told him how. A few years went by and low and behold i saw an advertisement for a "MagPul" that looked almost exactly like the drawing he sent. I dug up his phone number and called him to ask him if the "MagPul" was his, or if he got ripped off or something. He said; "Yeah, that's mine!" and i proceeded to congratulate the hell out of him! He then thanked me and sent me a few bags of MagPuls. The rest is the history you all know. The point of all this is to encourage people who have a dream that it IS possible for dreams to come true IF you play your cards right... and that you can start from scratch out of your home. This is just one really good example. And, i must say, i am SO proud of Richard Fitzpatrick! Congratulations, Rich!

Brooks W. Speier

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 04-21-2013, 16:19   #8
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
I would send it home to him so he could hang it on the wall.

But, hell, that's just me...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 18:39   #9
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Worth 1000.00 to me. I feel sure I could trade it off to one of the company principals for a case of pMags.

Cool story and cool item.

Last edited by SpectreRider; 04-21-2013 at 18:43..
SpectreRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 19:19   #10
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

That IS a cool story, bro.

I didn't know you've been around longer than 20 years, either. Congrats!
Old 04-21-2013, 19:23   #11
u n v kenny

Send a message via AIM to u n v kenny
Cool story. But do we get to see the drawing?
u n v kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29   #12
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Thanks guys! I was hoping you all would think it's cool. I and a lot of other people come up with cool product ideas all the time, but thinking even one up that becomes as successful and leads to so many other cool and successful products as MagPul is rare indeed, much as it might look common or easy. And one would think the US Gov and it's Patent Office would try to streamline the process and make it at least a little easier and speed up getting new products to market.... WRONG... the US Patent Office and process is a total disfunctional bad joke... although, it hasn't quite become totally useless, yet.

Send the drawing to Rich so he can hang it on his wall? Naaaw... I'm going to hang it on my own wall! Rich probably has several... this one's MINE... hahaha... to me it's like a diploma from a big university.

Thanks, Dennis! I've been inventing things almost all my life. I invented AGrip™ back in 1992. I'm one of the very first to use "tactical" in a business name, and the first i know of to use "get a grip" (Get AGrip!) in advertising. One of my first inventions was a super fast and efficient wing design back in the '60's when i was about 9 years old. It is essentially the same design as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner is using now. Throughout the years i tried to tell aeronautical engineers about it... but they just poo-poo'd it away as something that didn't make good sense to them... after all, i was just another stupid kid. Imagine the joy i felt when i first saw the 787... with MY wing on it! They FINALLY figured it out! At any rate, my first invention for guns i can remember is from back around 1991 and is what is now known as "smart gun technology". After months of doing up the drawings and prototypes and patent application writing i decided to shelve the project (called "Excaliber Peacekeeper") as my market research indicated that the police and other experienced defenders would never go for it because it involved electronics. A few years later the Libtards led by Pres. Clinton granted millions of dollars to just a few big corporations to develop the technology... while i was "out of the loop" and didn't even know they were doing it. When i found out about it i just laughed knowing they would all fail and all that money would be wasted. They failed... for many of the same reasons i shelved Excaliber... and they shelved their failures. I'm still laughing... why? Because i figured out long before these guys got all their government cheese, how to make the technology fly so that people will buy. They STILL haven't figured it out! Tooooo funny! Because it's OBVIOUS! If somebody wants to toss me a million bucks i'll tell them how.

As for seeing the MagPul drawing, i'll try to get a picture of it and post it. Hopefully it will be inspirational for all the would-be inventors out there. For me, since both of my parents were artists (professors) it's like having my own early Picasso.

Brooks W. Speier

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:38   #13
G23Gen4TX

For those of us who are unfamiliar with the MagPul history, what was that duck tape and para cord design for? A grip? A way to attach a sling?

Edit. Ok. Fount it. Dang, we used to do that over 20 years ago in the IDF. Just put a string to a mag so you can get it out of the pouch.

We used to also attach the slings differently and that's how the "Israeli sling" came about. Someone figured out that an old seat belt is more comfortable than the slings supplied with the rifles. We then added a quick extend clip, a pocket for ear plugs etc.

We used to attatch magazines to the gun with a rubber seal from drain PVC pipes. Then someone invented a clip that attached to the bottom of the mag and will lock into the mag well with the magazine upside down so you can easily carry it around.

Last edited by G23Gen4TX; 04-22-2013 at 11:43..
G23Gen4TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magpul