Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2013, 18:26   #1
Bmrdrvr

Gnarly cartride rims

Before I was able to secure extra magazines, I was constantly unloading and reloading the same six hollow points before heading to the range with target ammo. This won't be an issue now because I have one six-round mag I can keep my hollow point ammo in, and I have three, seven-round mags I can take to the range with plinker ammo. But, I now have six hollow points with slightly rough rims and some small gouges on bullet. Is there any harm that can come from using these? Do you think these will cycle reliably without damaging the chamber? Thanks.
Bmrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 18:38   #2
Maine

I would not bet my life on those rounds you speak of. Also multiple chambering of rounds can cause bullet set back, possibly enough to cause a "kaboom" from overpressure.

Your best bet would be to buy a fresh box of hollow points for carry and ditch the rounds you have now.

Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 21:32   #3
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Damage to the HP bullet's meplat (tip) can cause feed malfunctions and proper bullet expansion. Gouges or damage to the rim of a cartridge can cause extraction malfunctions. Remove such rounds from your SD ammo and replace them with fresh undamaged rounds.

Last edited by Merkavaboy; 04-18-2013 at 02:46..
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 22:01   #4
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrdrvr View Post
Before I was able to secure extra magazines, I was constantly unloading and reloading the same six hollow points before heading to the range with target ammo. This won't be an issue now because I have one six-round mag I can keep my hollow point ammo in, and I have three, seven-round mags I can take to the range with plinker ammo. But, I now have six hollow points with slightly rough rims and some small gouges on bullet. Is there any harm that can come from using these? Do you think these will cycle reliably without damaging the chamber? Thanks.
I have very much the same circumstances. My carry ammo is the same set of cartridges, and only one of those is used as the first chamber cartridge. This one won't make much difference if it's always this one that is in the chamber. Gnarly case rims won't make much difference to function, if it's always in the chamber. Regardless, when it gets nicked up a bit, it becomes range ammo, if there is no set back......which, in my case, has never happened. The one cartridge that does get chambered occasionally, doesn't get chambered very often.......because my carry gun is seldom unloaded. It stays in the holster, fully loaded up, for months at a time.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 22:39   #5
collim1
Shower Time!

I throw my old carry ammo in a coffee can and shoot it at the range when I get a decent amount of it.

I replace my carry ammo once a year, sometimes more often, and try to avoid any unnecessary unloading and reloading.

It will be fine for shooting at the range, time to retire it for carry. I can't afford to shoot very much carry ammo at the range so its nice to have some of my carry ammo to shoot for practice.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 22:49   #6
dajcarroll

I keep the same magazine loaded with my defense loads all the time. No unloading and reloading. I have two extra mags that are my target practice mags for FMJ. I haven't changed my defense in over a year, but what's the point? They've been loaded once into a magazine and have been sitting untouched. Ammo can last a long long time. They aren't a gallon of milk. They won't go bad in a week. I use Speer Gold Dots in everything I own. A Glock 19 9mm, Glock 37 .45 GAP, S&W Model 10 & Model 36 .38spl revolvers. Gold Dots loaded in all of them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
dajcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:22   #7
Bmrdrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I throw my old carry ammo in a coffee can and shoot it at the range when I get a decent amount of it.

I replace my carry ammo once a year, sometimes more often, and try to avoid any unnecessary unloading and reloading.

It will be fine for shooting at the range, time to retire it for carry. I can't afford to shoot very much carry ammo at the range so its nice to have some of my carry ammo to shoot for practice.
Good idea. I'm going to start doing the same thing, thanks.
Bmrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 15:13   #8
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

If you have loaded and unloaded and loaded and unloaded...odds are there isn't a problem, but for the cost of ammo, I suggest swapping it for new ammo.

With the old ammo, you need to determine setback. Take a new round, set it next to a used round. Put a pencil on the top. Is the new round longer than the used round? How much?

What cartridge? I have shot 45ACP with setback in a gun I have setup for 45Super. No issue. I have seen 357sig and 40S&W with maybe some setback that I wouldn't shoot.

BTW, Since you have some premium ammo, find something premium to shoot. Water jugs, wet newspaper, gel, ....