SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2013, 17:28   #1
csg4005

Noob needs help!

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I'm considering buying my first hand gun. I've had it narroweddown between the fnx 9, glock 17 & the.22.

Ive talked with a couple guys at different gun shops regarding the 17 vs. 22. Guy 1 said he believed the 9 id the best option bc that's what the government and most police stations use. Guy 2 said the.40 is better because it gives you more stopping power than the 9, and if you want to practice a lot with it, you can buy a conversion barrel to have the ability to shoot 9mm. Question for you guys - After buying the kit, doors it perform just as well as having a9mm? And how much do those kiss run you? I've rag a couple pays and out send like you might have to buy a little more than just a barrel.

Question 2 - how do the grips fools up on the gen4s? I like the rough grip, i just don't want to buy it and the griprub off in a few months/years.

Question 3 -What do you think is the best option?

I'm looking for a home defense/range gun. I'm a buffet got so i won't have a problem with the full size guns + i don't like floating pinkies.

Thanks for your advice! Apologies for any typos, I'm on my phone.
csg4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 17:53   #2
bentbiker
NRA Member

Totally unreadable. Sorry.
Old 04-17-2013, 18:02   #3
XshooterX

Absolutely
XshooterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 18:06   #4
ChrisJn
"Old Bill"

Yep, he's on his phone! Why do people bother.
ChrisJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 18:09   #5
SouthpawG26

Gen 4 G17. First handgun, so 9mm is a good starting point. Modern 9mm defensive ammo holds its own when compared to the bigger calibers. Gen 4 grip texture is indeed rougher than previous gens, I like it rough as well..

But if you don't carry, you'd might as well get a G34.

Last edited by SouthpawG26; 04-17-2013 at 18:09..
SouthpawG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 18:32   #6
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

I'd look for a Gen3 G17 or G34.

The FNX does not have a lot of aftermarket support and the trigger is not great. In the FN line, the FNS is more comparable to the G17 and is a really good option.

Personally, I would go to a local range that rents guns and shoot a G17, a XD, a FNS and a M&P, all with the same ammo and compare and contrast. One might feel better, point better, look better...hopefully those are all the same gun and you have an easy choice.

PS. Only posts specifically about Glocks go in General Glocking, so this was moved for you.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us
MarkCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 18:42   #7
dajcarroll

I'd go with a 9mm. I purchased a Glock 19 though, instead of a 17. It's all in what you prefer. Some people like .40, some people like 9mm, .38 spl, .357, .45... It's all about you. Personally, I wouldn't want to be standing in the way if any caliber bullet. It's all in what you like to shoot. 9mm isn't easy to find these days. Before all of this BS you could find a box or 2 of 9mm at Wal-Mart all day long for $12. $20 for Winchester WB 100rd packs. Not anymore. Maybe someday all of this crap will end.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
dajcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 18:57   #8
Maine

General Firearms Forum

Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 19:01   #9
tbc

Just go the range and shoot a bunch of different guns and calibers. And then buy what you like.

Sent from iPhone
tbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 19:06   #10
csg4005

Wow!! Didn't realize it was that bad. I was in my friends car sweating to death while we waited for someone to come pick us up... car problems

I re-read my post & here it is typed correctly with a few things added.

Noob needs help!
Hey guys, first time poster here.

A little about me - I've grown up shooting guns (experience with .22, 9, .40, .45) & feel very comfortable handling them. I'm looking to buy my first handgun (I'm 22 y/o so the guns I've shot have been relatives/friends). I've narrowed it down to either a 9 or a .40. I don't care for .22 & shooting a .45 isn't as fun as a 9/.40.

The guns I've narrowed it down to are the fnx 9, glock 17 & the.22.

I've spent time at a few different guns shops & have spoken with the guys working there. This is what I've found so far from speaking with them -

1 - The first guy was a big believer in the 9mm. His reasoning was that the government uses it, most police departments use it, so the likelihood that it's put out of manufacture is small. He also told me out of the 37 pistols that he owns, the one that he keeps in his night stand to protect is family is his Glock.. That meant a lot to me.

2 - The second guy at a different gun shop was leaning more towards the Glock 22. His reasoning was that it has more stopping power, being a .40 & that if I wanted to do a lot of practice shooting & preferred not going broke - I can buy a conversion barrel.

Here is a list of a few questions I have after speaking with these guys -

1. I've read on this website & a few others that all you need to switch out is the barrel on the G22 to shoot 9mm. I've also read that you need to do a little more than that.. I was curious if someone who's had experience doing this can let me know what exactly you need to purchase to have it perform flawlessly.

2. I really like the Gen 4 grips. I'm a big fan of the rough texture & that's exactly what this is. My question is though, has anyone had any issues with the rough texture not staying tactical-like? I've read a few places where the grip doesn't have that rough texture after a while of holding it.

Question 3 -What do you think is the best option?

I'm looking for a home defense/range gun. I'm 6'6 & won't have a problem concealing a G17/22 + i don't like floating pinkies.

Thanks for your advice! Apologies for any typos, I'm on my phone.
csg4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 19:18   #11
hogship
It's MY Island

If you only have one, the Glock 17, or 22 is a pretty good way to go. I feel the same as your friend about the 40sw having the edge in power, but the 9mm is also a good round too.

Both are common and available.

Flip a coin.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 19:27   #12
davsco

i think you will find a lot more aftermarket parts, etc (mags, sights, holsters, ...) for glocks than some other brands.

i prefer the grippy-ness of the gen 4 glocks over the gen 3.

the 40 will be harder-hitting, but that comes with more recoil which slows your follow-up shots. find a range that rents both and give them a try.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 19:29   #13
bac1023

Out of those three, I'd go with the G17.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 19:30   #14
Adamz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
If you only have one, the Glock 17, or 22 is a pretty good way to go. I feel the same as your friend about the 40sw having the edge in power, but the 9mm is also a good round too.

Flip a coin.

ooc
I agree here, but if it were me I'd buy the 40. At least you can shoot it these days.
Old 04-17-2013, 19:44   #15
dajcarroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post

Flip a coin.

ooc
9mm is not available around here... you can't find it anywhere.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
dajcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 20:02   #16
GlockFan7

I had the same question and my final decision was not made until I stepped up to the counter and the man asked, "May I help you?". I ended up with the 17. My reason was experience for me as well as my wife, since she had never handled a gun of any kind. The recoil on the 9mm is a little more manageable. My wife could not handle my .40, but she shoots 9mm just fine. If you have experience with 9mm and .40, then it could just as well be a coin toss, as both guns are essentially identical. As it turns out, my personal favorite is the .40 Glock 23. As was mentioned in another post, 9mm is next to impossible to find right now.
GlockFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 20:23   #17
ratf51

In normal times for the first handgun I would say go with the G17. There is nothing wrong with the 9mm and it is more pleasant to shoot than the .40S&W same platform to platform (i.e. G17 and G22.) But these are not normal times-- the great draw to the 9mm has always been easy ammo availability for less money. I can't find 9mm range ammo right now. If you can find 9mm ammo where you are right now, then go with the G17. 17+1 rounds of 9mm is a good thing.

That said...
...the G22 does give you the option of swapping barrels for additional calibers. BUT, for a first handgun, stay simple-- keep to one caliber. A G22 is my night-stand gun and I like the .40S&W. But I would still recommend the G17 as the better first handgun.

Re: swapping barrels-- not only will you need the 40-9 type barrel you'll need to get different magazines for the 9mm. So, the cost for shifting to the 9mm from the .40 isn't paltry.

Choose wisely Grasshopper...
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:07   #18
boilergonzo

I'd go with the G17 for the first gun. It is an adequate defensive firearm, and will be a good range gun.

Having said that, the G22 is perfectly fine...

I tend to prefer shooting 9mm for entertainment more than some more powerful rounds (I also like .22's!). I am not recoil sensitive (I routinely shoot a 10mm and can - but don't enjoy! - shooting a 340PD with powerful 357Magnums!). For fun and defense, I think the 9mm is a great choice.
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:15   #19
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Totally unreadable. Sorry.
He's on his phone, give 'im a brake. Just hope he's not driving too!
Seriously though I'd say the G17.

Last edited by OldSchool64; 04-18-2013 at 14:17..
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 14:58   #20
WarEagle32

Glock 19 or 17, but definitely a 9mm.
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote