GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2013, 15:03   #1
bac1023

My new polished blue 3 screw Super Blackhawk :):)

I finally found an old model Super Blackhawk in pristine condition. It was built in 1972, which isn't long before the new models were introduced with the transfer bar. To me, the old model SBH may be the nicest of the Blackhawk series. The finish was really stepped up over the standard Blackhawk back then. Its a beautiful polished blue. Only the original Super Blackhawks and the very early New Model SBHs wore this finish. I don't believe it was ever offered on the standard Blackhawk or any other Ruger for that matter.

The Super Blackhawk in 44mag was introduced in 1959, which was about four years after the original Blackhawk was introduced and three years after the 44magnum version of the Blackhawk was introduced. The smaller and lighter Blackhawk was a beast to shoot with the heaviest 44mag loads. After listening to their customers (including Elmer Keith), Ruger designed a larger, heavier Blackhawk with a larger frame, a heavier, unfluted cylinder, and a redesigned grip/trigger guard. They labeled this new gun the Super Blackhawk and it proved to be a huge success for Ruger. So much so, that they decided to completely drop the original 44mag Blackhawk in 1962 (Ruger actually offered both for a few years).

At any rate, this example is absolutely mint. I don't think it saw much use whatsoever. The action is incredibly nice. As many know, I much prefer the action on the 3 screw models and this is one of the nicest I've felt on one. The grips are nearly perfect, though the very bottom of the grip frame is scraped slightly. People like to rest these revolvers on something when they shoot them, which causes this sort of thing. That's pretty much the only mark on the gun. I love the wide trigger. I also own a New Model SBH of the same barrel length, but it does not have the wide trigger.

Does anyone have an opinion on my latest revolver? Who has one? Any thoughts on the Super Blackhawk in general (new or old)?

As always, please enjoy the pics and share you thoughts.

Thanks!

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 04-14-2013 at 15:13..
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 15:03   #2
bac1023

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-14-2013, 15:06   #3
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

Awesome 6-gun Bac.

Not necessarily a rarity but in the 80's I had a 10-1/2" bbl .44 SBH I regret getting rid of. Man I'd love to have that back.
Old 04-14-2013, 16:17   #4
glock2740
Gun lover.

Looks great!
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 17:45   #5
2740dmx

Looks great!
Love Ruger single actions!
Old 04-14-2013, 17:51   #6
WiskyT
Malcontent

I have a NM BH in 357 I bought new in 1985. My buddy had an OM SBH like yours. The two are nothing alike in terms of finsh. His was a beauty, mine looks like a tool. I didn't handle it enough to form much of an opinion on the action, but I'm not impressed with mine. Creepy trigger and the hammer fall has so much intertia due to it's weight and long arc that it's nearly impossible to hold the gun steady when dry firing. The muzzle will drop when the hammer falls. This is aggrevated by narrowness of the grips right where you need to support the gun. I think a set of Hogues, while hideous looking, would help with this problem.

Anyway, I like my BH, but I keep it mostly because it was my first handgun. It was half the price of other center fire guns at the time and it is a durable, reliable, gun.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 18:11   #7
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I have a NM BH in 357 I bought new in 1985. My buddy had an OM SBH like yours. The two are nothing alike in terms of finsh. His was a beauty, mine looks like a tool. I didn't handle it enough to form much of an opinion on the action, but I'm not impressed with mine. Creepy trigger and the hammer fall has so much intertia due to it's weight and long arc that it's nearly impossible to hold the gun steady when dry firing. The muzzle will drop when the hammer falls. This is aggrevated by narrowness of the grips right where you need to support the gun. I think a set of Hogues, while hideous looking, would help with this problem.

Anyway, I like my BH, but I keep it mostly because it was my first handgun. It was half the price of other center fire guns at the time and it is a durable, reliable, gun.
Wisky, I've got new and old models in both BH and SBH now. I can say for sure that I like the old action much better. Of course, they aren't really supposed to be loaded hammer down on a loaded cylinder, making them basically a 5-shooter.

Old 04-14-2013, 18:21   #8
B_RAD

I love the SBH! This one looks awesome. Very very nice!
Old 04-14-2013, 20:18   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Looks great!
Thanks Joe

Old 04-14-2013, 22:58   #10
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Another beautiful piece! Congrats again!
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 23:48   #11
HAIL CAESAR

Very great old gun. I have a 3 screw single six, 357, and 41.

The 41 looks like its been to hell and back, but I like it. The 357 the wife got me last year for Christmas and was unfired in the box.... That lasted 5 whole minutes.
Old 04-15-2013, 00:43   #12
Steve in PA

Love them Rugers!

I own a SRH, which is my favorite scoped hunting handgun.

A little more than a year ago, I picked up a New Model SBH and love it for when I am hunting with a rifle.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21   #13
Lazy R

Maybe a dozen years back one turned up at local pawn/gun shop for arond 350 bucks. It's about the same age as yours, 1971 on mine if I remember correctly. It was like new when I bought it.

General Firearms Forum

The quality is fabulous, the trigger and lockwork I don't think could be improved. I had my gunsmith true up the forcing cone and it's very accurate.

A bugger to shoot though, the square trigger guard beats my finger up. Got lucky and came up with a Hogue grip for it---the new style SBH ones don't fit, you have to find one made for the 3 screw guns. Not as pretty, but very nice to shoot now.

General Firearms Forum
Lazy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 17:11   #14
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
Very great old gun. I have a 3 screw single six, 357, and 41.

The 41 looks like its been to hell and back, but I like it. The 357 the wife got me last year for Christmas and was unfired in the box.... That lasted 5 whole minutes.
Very cool Al. I can't wait to get this one to the range

I actually prefer shooting SA revolvers when it comes to big bore rounds.

Old 04-15-2013, 17:16   #15
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy R View Post
A bugger to shoot though, the square trigger guard beats my finger up. Got lucky and came up with a Hogue grip for it---the new style SBH ones don't fit, you have to find one made for the 3 screw guns. Not as pretty, but very nice to shoot now.

The funny thing is that Ruger squared off the trigger guard specifically so it would be easier to shoot.

Old 04-15-2013, 18:19   #16
ratf51

Opinion? No. Envy? Yes. Nice revolver!
ratf51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 20:52   #17
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
You must be reliving my youth my friend! You just bought two revolvers that I owned over 30 years ago.

My first 44 magnum was a Ruger Super Blackhawk likes yours. When I bought it I wasn't old enough to sign for it so had to take one of my parents with me. Their rule was I could have anything I want as long as I spent my own money. (A good policy that our government could use: whistling: )

It was about the same time period as yours and you are right about the finish Ruger put on them. Back then they were affordable working guns so to find one today in mint condition is truly a find.

I did changed out the grips for wood Herter's Shooting Star because the trigger guard would beat the middle finger to death. I remember it cost $135 then.
Old 04-15-2013, 23:49   #18
salvo
Pass the ammo

That's a beautiful SBH!
I have a 1959 Flat Top (My birth year) been down a few more trails than yours, but she still a sweet shooting piece.

General Firearms Forum
-- Ronald Reagan
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 00:04   #19
Lazy R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
The funny thing is that Ruger squared off the trigger guard specifically so it would be easier to shoot.
Oh that's funny! With strong loads that thing gives you a real beating. I remember shooting my first Blackhawk round trigger guard after owning this SBH and how smooth on the hand that was!

More SBH fun

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by Lazy R; 04-16-2013 at 00:05..
Lazy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25   #20
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvo View Post
That's a beautiful SBH!
I have a 1959 Flat Top (My birth year) been down a few more trails than yours, but she still a sweet shooting piece.

General Firearms Forum
Very nice

I really like the flattop models. I have a New Model Flattop Blackhawk in 44special.