SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2013, 23:16   #101
Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
Hey Bongo Boy, what kind of stock is that?
Magpul ACS. Has turned out to be quite comfy.

Very sorry to hear about your mishap. As mentioned, far more likely the case saw the high pressure on its way rearward, not on its way forward. Overloaded cartridge and/or a barrel obstruction (squib) seems most likely to me--but if it was a round fired on a squib, I'd expect most likely the bullet is still in the barrel.

I don't know the design to be able to say pulling the trigger and releasing a partially-loaded striker is impossible before the bolt is closed...but it would certainly have shown up long before the first prototype was finished, I'd expect.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 07-03-2013 at 23:35..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 00:08   #102
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz10m View Post
Could also be the load before it was a squib that left a bullet in the barrel. Was that round it the picture a handload or a factory loaded round?
It's certainly possible, but it takes a LOT more energy to move a bolt/slide than push a bullet down a bore. Meaning, it wouldn't have cycled (the first time). Surely, any experienced auto-shooter would check their bore if they ever have to manually eject an empty, after an attempted firing. Squibs are obvious, and anyone who would follow up a shot without checking needs to go back to school. I've seen it happen, but only during tactical situations when the squib goes unnoticed. Bad ju-ju.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00   #103
gofastman

I'm 99% sure the round was not fully in battery when it fired.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15   #104
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
I'm 99% sure the round was not fully in battery when it fired.
Perhaps, but the blowout in your pic shows almost exactly where it should smile with an overpressure load, when fully in battery. Almost, only because I can't get a micrometer on the pic. I have a bunch of smiled cases to compare, all with identical impressions.

What load was that?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:49   #105
ModGlock17

Quote:
So...
I found out a Mech Tech will fire significantly out of battery!
No major damage or injuries, mech tech is a little bent up around where the glock frame mounts, probably due to the frame being blown off the CCU. man it scared the hell out of me!
Im still not exactly sure what happened.
Should I call up mech tech and tell them they have a design issue? I dont think it should EVER fire out of battery

?
A number of questions come to mind.

Did you shoot hard casts before that ? Hardcast gunk can impede smooth action. How souped up was the ammo?

Did you oil the action components after cleaning ?

Did you use G20 mags or modified .45 mags ?

You should tell MTech and not having been with you, they may ask for the same sort of questions plus pictures of the CCU and any deformed area. They will be curious about the ammo you used. And they'd need feedback from us. I wouldn't shoot any until I hear from them studying the pictures. Don't throw the case, perhaps take even closer pics.

I think the guys here are saying that the busted area is too low on the case to be out of battery.

How's the extractor look? Is it still moving smoothly with the spring in place ?

I've experienced it not completely in battery before, when I was adapting the .45 mags and making adjustments/experiments. I didn't dare to fire, though. The feed wasn't smooth with the adapting mags and it can be sensitive to the state of cleanliness. But I've never have out of batt situation with a stock G20 mag, because the action is VERY smooth with it. Thus the challenge of adapting .45 mags is to get it as smooth.

It also happened when I attempted to reuse damage rounds that I got when adjusting the mags fit. Those damaged rounds weren't perfectly round, but I didn't want to waste good rounds during the simulation of feed action. One thing for sure, the CCU barrel is a lot more solid than a stock G20. It can take more punishment I think, but I don't want to be the one to test it out.

Last edited by ModGlock17; 07-04-2013 at 07:19..
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 20:39   #106
Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
One thing for sure, the CCU barrel is a lot more solid than a stock G20. It can take more punishment I think, but I don't want to be the one to test it out.
I haven't measured the two, but when I do a visual side-by-side comparison I see no big difference at all--with the G20 barrel having quite bit more heft top and bottom, and looking virtually identical on each side. I don't think it's very significant but if I had to roll the dice I'd give the Glock barrel a slight edge.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 07-10-2013 at 12:42..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:39   #107
gofastman

The round was my own cast bullet and reload.
IIRC, ill have to check my notes, but it was
this bullet
10.5gr Power pistol
Starline once fired Nickle Brass
WLP
~1.257" OAL
I think the problem was the round was a little too big and it just never chambered properly
another possibility is the case had some Alox on it and it stuck slightly out of battery.

I know it was my fault, either way.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23   #108
ctious

Cast was a issue in my ccu chambering I had to size under .402 to make them drop in. I current die is .4018. Shoots clean. Chambers great.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 16:49   #109
ctious

Bad day with the ccu. Extractor broke. No more fun shooting for me. This sucks.
Old 07-19-2013, 17:00   #110
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
Makes me wonder if the blowback design is rearing its ugly head.... Ie, case still expanded while bolt is trying to extract before pressure drops. ??
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 19:55   #111
ModGlock17

Quote:
Take picture, close up pics, and tell MTech. They'd need feedback and should make you happy.
Old 07-19-2013, 19:57   #112
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
Makes me wonder if the blowback design is rearing its ugly head.... Ie, case still expanded while bolt is trying to extract before pressure drops. ??
Bullet in barrel too long, ie. long barrel?
Old 07-19-2013, 21:00   #113
ctious

I don't know what caused it. The metal looked like there may have been a weak spot. I could not handle not being able to shoot it this weekend. So I took.it apart. Welded it up. Recut it and put it back together. Flawless. And not it holds the case better. Tighter. I did the same thibg to my glock extractor last year. Good thousand plus rounds with no issues. I think in the ccu it will hold up just fine. My work is more durable looking than stock. More support where its needed. Will shoot it tomorrow and see how it does. But hand cycling is beautiful.
Old 07-19-2013, 21:06   #114
ctious

Today I shot about 25 cast one at a time. Lol. The barrel was clean when I took it all apart. Being the loads were really hot I am surprised how clean it was. And very accurate. The load is a 200 shallow hp with 9.7 800x. I did not chrono it. But I am guessing its well over 1700 in the ccu. Maybe tomorrow I will take the chrono.

The load I was shooting when it broke was 8.5 longshot with 180gr hap.
Old 07-19-2013, 21:24   #115
ModGlock17

I use 8.5gr LS on the 180gr plated Powerbond.

My future project is to experiment with LS load vs. repeatability, same kind of thing they'd do for sniper rifles. Each long gun has a sweet spot for repeatability. I want to see if it is true here.
Old 07-19-2013, 21:31   #116
ctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
I use 8.5gr LS on the 180gr plated Powerbond.

My future project is to experiment with LS load vs. repeatability, same kind of thing they'd do for sniper rifles. Each long gun has a sweet spot for repeatability. I want to see if it is true here.
9.2 800x was mine with a 200 xtp. Single dig spread. All tearing the same hole. I only wish it was a little stronger. But my longslide did 1248. The ccu was 1560 if I remember right.
Old 07-19-2013, 21:41   #117
ModGlock17

Quote:
9.2 800x was mine with a 200 xtp. Single dig spread. All tearing the same hole. I only wish it was a little stronger. But my longslide did 1248. The ccu was 1560 if I remember right.
Can't argue with success! Stay put.
Old 07-19-2013, 21:54   #118
ctious

I will say this about ls. It sucks in the ccu. It will only give u about 100 fps more than a 6in barrel. I have stopped using it in the ccu. 800x has given me the best increase. Want to test blue dot.
Old 07-20-2013, 16:01   #119
ctious

Tested the new cut extractor. Perfect. No issues at all. Brass lands in a nice 3ft circle about 12 ft to the side. Lol. No marks on the brass like I was getting before. Even before it broke. Also the primer strikes are way cleaner looking. Very crisp. Center. I wonder if there was slop in the stock extractor.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:59   #120
ModGlock17

Quote:
I will say this about ls. It sucks in the ccu. It will only give u about 100 fps more than a 6in barrel. I have stopped using it in the ccu. 800x has given me the best increase. Want to test blue dot.
In my other 26" barrel, the imr3031 (78th in burnrate) had a hard time producing groups under 1" at 100 yards. Varget (99th in burnrate), however, is much more successful. My best was approx. 0.4" group at 200 meters (220yrds). That was 168grain projectile.

I wonder with a handful of data points like that, with a variety of barrel lengths, and with real burnrate values, we can vaguely but mathematically predict what kind of burnrate is best for a 16" barrel. Then we'd look at the list and pick powders close to that value. I can do that, but I need data.

LongShot is 52nd, and 800x is 38th on the list. But we'd need real burnrate values, like 34 microsec per 10 grain, for example.

Btw, good job on the extractor. Document the design. May be you have a good aftermarket product on hand!