GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:52   #21
ctious

My mags all feed great. The. Converted 45 mags are great. 31 rounds is fun.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14   #22
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
Figure I should post a pic of mine.
Awesome! That's a big tube on top. You can shoot better if you can see better. Nice one.

Interested in your long range accuracy knowing that most 10mm bullet designs aren't all that aerodynamic but we may have the case where the gun is better than the bullet.
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 13:39   #23
ctious

Just shot some cast. Wow. Not a drop of leading. Only shot at 50 yards but it was dead nuts. I think I am going to slug the throat. I think a .401 will still work. But for need being a .4015 works well. Just want a little more room in the chamber for when it gets dirty. The .4015 don't drop in freely now after shooting 50 rounds. Takes a slight push. So extra room is needed.
Old 04-24-2013, 15:06   #24
ModGlock17

Don't know if you already smoothed out the action. I was thinking if it was done with the break-in period, or in my case polished, that the slide would move faster slamming into battery, thereby forcing the cartridge in.
Old 04-24-2013, 15:30   #25
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
That case support kinda sucks. I was hoping for better. Mine comes any day now. With only that support I don't know if I will keep it. I am a reloader. If my brass gets worked too hard the gun is useless to me.

I guess I could weld it up and re-cut for more support.
Welding on a piece of heat treated steel (like a gun barrel is made of) is an extremely bad idea that will certainly weaken the whole area around where you welded it.

Welding is great for the softer steels it is intended for, IF you're using the right kind of welding rods, but it almost always weakens high quality tool steels and usually results in new cracks appearing adjacent to the weld.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 15:30   #26
ctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Don't know if you already smoothed out the action. I was thinking if it was done with the break-in period, or in my case polished, that the slide would move faster slamming into battery, thereby forcing the cartridge in.
The action cycled them yet. But having a bullet in a chamber with no room to expand and release the boolit is dangerous. Pressure spikes. It only took a little force with one finger to push it all the way in. But I want it to drop freely in. I think honestly the .401 will be perfect.
Old 04-24-2013, 19:55   #27
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Danged you ctious and ModGlock17! Feeling a little jealous right now.

Thank you both for posting reports and photos.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:33   #28
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
My sentiments echo Taterhead's ... AWESOME review material here~~~
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 13:29   #29
ctious

Shot 62 rounds on cast today. I swear the barrel is cleaner now than before I shot. These things love cast. I need to chrono it. The same loads in the pistol hit 1325. 205 gr. I wonder what the ccu is doing.
Old 04-25-2013, 18:15   #30
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Shot 62 rounds on cast today. I swear the barrel is cleaner now than before I shot. These things love cast. I need to chrono it. The same loads in the pistol hit 1325. 205 gr. I wonder what the ccu is doing.
Way curious. Please do, and report back!
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:55   #31
Bongo Boy

Congrats to everyone on their new CCUs. I want one, but don't have a Glock 20 so that makes the decision a bit tougher. Seems like a fun carbine to have though.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; 04-26-2013 at 15:23..
Bongo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01   #32
ctious

I have a weekend get away with the woman. So no testing till maybe Sunday aft or Monday. Darn it.
Old 04-26-2013, 13:03   #33
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Great thread! Great review! Thank you! I've got one of the very first units and it does have some problems... so many (not major) that i just set it aside until i have the time to really get into it and dial it in. These new ccu's you guys have are much better than the old ones like i have. I like the magnetic idea on that little block, too. I used "AGrip adhesive" to make mine stick... but the magnet idea is better. Also, i don't know what your little blocks look like but mine has a flat feed ramp. Problem is that the flat smashes a flat spot in the nose of the bullet as it is fed and that will effect accuracy. I think i will probably machine mine a bit to dish out the flat a bit. It's easy enough to do. The recoil buffer on mine is super bouncy rubber which causes the bolt to bounce and fly back way faster than it should. So i need to fix that. I beefed up the striker spring, but haven't tested it yet, so it may be fine now. I've put several CorBon 180 gr JSP's rated for 1350 fps out of a G20 through it with no blowouts or smilies... so mine seems to have enough chamber support. Mine also has that cheezy flat bent metal stock which is basically worthless. So i need to convert it to a much better stock, but i want to make it a folder. A Butler Creek folder looks like it will bolt right on... so i may go with one of those. These folder stocks are a bit on the heavy side, so it should balance the gun out better, but i really don't want it heavier than need be, so i may just go with a telescoping stock instead. Another simple fix. Just takes time and effort... and a little bit of money.

As for welding hardened tool steel; When you weld it the heat of the welding will kill the heat treat around the weld... so... not recommended.

As for the difference between a G22 frame and G20 frame... the two frames are NOT the same. The G20 is wider, so i doubt the G22 will fit the G20 frame safely.

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Official AGrip™ Manufacturer Website

AGrip™ Installation Video

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 13:37   #34
ModGlock17

Here's a picture of the GlockBlock as it sits outside. It came as a dull colored steel like the locking block in the background.
The 10 Ring

I polished it up hoping that the surface is so slicky for bullet heads to slide on.
The 10 Ring

Actually, it functions more like a bouncer, bouncing the bullet towards the chamber.
The 10 Ring
Old 04-27-2013, 13:45   #35
ModGlock17

Tip on modifying .45 mags to fit 10mm

Close the lips at the top of the mag to .370"-.380", evenly on both sides. This will hold enough of the 10mm case such that you will see 100% of the primer circle, as in the picture.
The 10 Ring

I think 70% or so of the primer shown will still work, but 100% seems more reliable because it get easier for the loader strip under the bolt to pick up and push the case forward to load.

The .45 follower will still work.
Old 04-27-2013, 13:51   #36
ModGlock17

My brass catcher to give you guys some idea... This thing saves me a lot of time at the range!
The 10 Ring

The net was from Walmart's bag of recycled golf balls, $10 with the golf balls. I need the golf balls for practice, too.
The 10 Ring

The frame was taken from a political yard sign in the last election.
The 10 Ring
Old 04-27-2013, 15:18   #37
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
Here's a picture of the GlockBlock as it sits outside. It came as a dull colored steel like the locking block in the background.
The 10 Ring

I polished it up hoping that the surface is so slicky for bullet heads to slide on.
The 10 Ring

Actually, it functions more like a bouncer, bouncing the bullet towards the chamber.
The 10 Ring

Yup, that's the surface i was talking about that should be reshaped so it doesn't deform the bullets. Most all of the bullets i've pulled out of the chamber were deformed by slamming into this surface. Not cool.

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

Official AGrip™ Manufacturer Website

AGrip™ Installation Video

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 16:33   #38
gofastman

Id like to see if Win-296 powder might provide some good velocity with a heavy bullet in the 16" barrel

anybody wanna try this for me?
Old 04-27-2013, 19:31   #39
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz10m View Post
Yup, that's the surface i was talking about that should be reshaped so it doesn't deform the bullets. Most all of the bullets i've pulled out of the chamber were deformed by slamming into this surface. Not cool.
Did it deform hard cast or jacketed bullets ? Or both ?

Curious.
Old 04-27-2013, 19:34   #40
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastman View Post
Id like to see if Win-296 powder might provide some good velocity with a heavy bullet in the 16" barrel

anybody wanna try this for me?
Hard for me to find time right now. Plus I want to keep life simple with fewest powder type in stock. I wanted to chrono all that I shot but simply didn't have enough time.