Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:06   #126
Reyn
Times Up

Brings up a good point. At what time does it or should it become an alarm? If a guy wants to carry his pistol in his hand while shopping at Walmart..is that part of his 2nd amendment right? What about lock and loaded with hammer back on his 1911in his hand but pointed downward? What if he wants to do the same while picking his kids up at school? Should the average parent be concerned with that scenario or dismiss it as he is within his rights?
Reyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:09   #127
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin40 View Post
True story, ya'all. Some years back, while working as a locksmith in Seattle, I had a small dispute with a customer over some cosmetic issues on the finish on her door. She demanded that I leave the property, (which I did) I also took a picture of said door, in case the lady wanted to pursue any legal action. I drove away, and about 10 miles up the road, Seattle PD "lit me up". I pulled to the side, and the PD did a felony stop on me. I was WAY cooperative....LOL. After they un-cuffed me, and we got the whole thing sorted out, it turned out that the "lady" saw me taking pictures of her door, and thought I was pointing a gun at her house. (I know, right?.) Seattle PD had NO way of knowing whether or not it was true.....and they weren't taking any chances. I did not blame them one bit. Any one out there who puts on a badge and a gun every day, and has "been there" knows what I'm talking about. When I worked LAPD as a Liaison Officer back in the day, it was my main job, to go home in one piece.
A report of a man pointing a gun at your house is far different than a man walking with a gun on a sling or in a holster.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 00:24   #128
John B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
Brings up a good point. At what time does it or should it become an alarm? If a guy wants to carry his pistol in his hand while shopping at Walmart..is that part of his 2nd amendment right? What about lock and loaded with hammer back on his 1911in his hand but pointed downward? What if he wants to do the same while picking his kids up at school? Should the average parent be concerned with that scenario or dismiss it as he is within his rights?
My biggest beef with the open carry group is the idea they have the God given right (no disrespect) to carry in "Walmart" or some other private property. Youtube is full of this behavior. None of us have any right to carry on private property. I may not do as I wish on your property and you may not do as you wish on my property. Walmart or any such place is private property. I'm not trying to change the topic, but we do not get to decide to carry any firearm onto private property. It is only given to us or taken away, it is private property.
John B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 00:29   #129
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B View Post
My biggest beef with the open carry group is the idea they have the God given right (no disrespect) to carry in "Walmart" or some other private property. Youtube is full of this behavior. None of us have any right to carry on private property. I may not do as I wish on your property and you may not do as you wish on my property. Walmart or any such place is private property. I'm not trying to change the topic, but we do not get to decide to carry any firearm onto private property. It is only given to us or taken away, it is private property.
What does open carry have to do with carrying while on private property? If a private business were to put up a sign that says "No Guns Allowed", it's OK to you to carry concealed in that place?
Old 04-21-2013, 00:41   #130
DanaT
Pharaoh

I avoid this whole situation by carrying a 14" T/C contender concealed. Of course concealing it can be difficult, but I just shove it down the front of my pants. When I go into walmart in condition 1 like this, for some reason the women in walmart always flirt with me. I cannot figure out why.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:13   #131
John B

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
What does open carry have to do with carrying while on private property? If a private business were to put up a sign that says "No Guns Allowed", it's OK to you to carry concealed in that place?
Read my comment in context. Private property. The previous poster made the comment about carrying at Walmart. We should never take it for granted. We do not have the second amendment right to carry on private property no matter how we carry. If we display our carry method we run the risk of being shut out out of private property. And again read my post in context, I do not wish to move to far from the subject, just pointing out that we do NOT have the right to carry a firearm on private property. We do not have the right to carry on private property.
John B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:49   #132
WarCry

Quote:
Read my comment in context. Private property. The previous poster made the comment about carrying at Walmart. We should never take it for granted. We do not have the second amendment right to carry on private property no matter how we carry. If we display our carry method we run the risk of being shut out out of private property. And again read my post in context, I do not wish to move to far from the subject, just pointing out that we do NOT have the right to carry a firearm on private property. We do not have the right to carry on private property.
It never fails to amaze me how many people don't understand private property. We had a story here lately (not about guns) that was about stuff going on at our local mall. People were screaming about it being a "public place.". Some folks just don't grasp that, just because the owner lets the public in, it's not public property, and the owners can still set up rules.

I imagine there's a lot of that mentality. "I - and anyone else - can walk in without asking permission, so that makes it public!" It's kind of absurd, really.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:50   #133
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The Okie Corral
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 21:46   #134
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
That really is not right. I can't believe PC has taken hold in Texas too.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00   #135
fg17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
It never fails to amaze me how many people don't understand private property. We had a story here lately (not about guns) that was about stuff going on at our local mall. People were screaming about it being a "public place.". Some folks just don't grasp that, just because the owner lets the public in, it's not public property, and the owners can still set up rules.

I imagine there's a lot of that mentality. "I - and anyone else - can walk in without asking permission, so that makes it public!" It's kind of absurd, really.
Not sure if this helps or not, and Im certainly not a lawyer. But years ago I was working private security at a huge party/campground and the owner had a dispute with local law enforcement who were coming in without being called and making traffic stops and issuing minor citations. He did not want them there unless called and it went to court. The court ruled that it was private property that was open to the public and they were able to come in at any time. The court said there was a differnce between private property and private property that was open to the public in regards to many laws. The owner and local police eventually made nice and everything was good but those were some tense times.
fg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:31   #136
Merlin40
Merlin40

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
A report of a man pointing a gun at your house is far different than a man walking with a gun on a sling or in a holster.

I agree, to a point. I've been "out hiking", with my Bushmaster. As I was not hunting at the time, nor looking for a gunfight, I had my weapon slung across my back. There isn't anyone with prior military service, or many LEOs out there, that don't know the diff between slung across my back, and the "ready" position. This guy, (as I stated previously), was looking to make a statement of some kind. As he was walking down a public access road, he fully knew,(or should have known) that someone would probably make a phone call. If he did not know, or knew, and just didn't care, he shouldn't be carrying the weapon at all. The gun-control advocates LOVE this kind of stuff. Why give them additional "ammo" to promote their cause?. I think I'll ask Russ for his take on this.
Merlin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52   #137
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
I agree with you that the Second Amendment doesn't apply to private properties. I just take issue that you somehow linking the open carry group to it. I am a proponent of open carry but I also honor the wishes of private properties.
Old 04-23-2013, 22:45   #138
OlliesRevenge

Questions:

To all those who insist the video was edited, what part do you think is missing, and why? This YouTube vid is 13:18 of continuous footage, ending when he tells his son to shut the camera off --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=A8r4MK3R4PI#

--Only the beginning of the incident, where the officer pulled his gun is missing. Grisham claims he began the video when he was sprawled on the hood of the cruiser... and the start of the vid seems to begin at that time. Sure, Grisham could be lying about when he began filming; but if he had video of the officer pulling his gun... why would he edit that out?

This link --

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/sta...d-analysis.htm

-- Sure makes Grisham to be a nutjob... and judging from his actions at his scene, he probably is. He sure didn't do things right, with his level of agitation. But the debate stirring conundrum of why people are being stopped for engaging in a legal activity still applies.

If Chuck Norris (or some other male of well known decent character) became an "activist", and had a roughly similar altercation; a good chunk of the GT mind-hive would still opine -"Well, he got the attention he was looking for".

How much effect does weapon type have here? Would this have been called in, or would the officer choose to initiate a stop had the rifle been a lever or bolt action type?

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.
~Henry David Thoreau

Remember always: The government is not the country!
OlliesRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 23:34   #139
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

It's important to remember that many on the right despise people engaging in liberty that they themselves disagree with. Therefore, they'll gladly support the state snuffing it out.

The law and order conservatives.

Last edited by certifiedfunds; 04-23-2013 at 23:37..
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 00:47   #140
USAF96815

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost...2&postcount=27

Local LEO's prospective on the incident.

Interesting enough, CJ has at least one other "staged" event in his life with the local school district then immediately started a defense fund. Its cited by the local LEO in the link above.
USAF96815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20   #141
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
No one ever want to discuss a logical point. Most who spout "that's his right" on some of the most absurd antics that make the news would be the first ones scurrying their family away in a panic if they witnessed it.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44   #142
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge View Post
--Only the beginning of the incident [...] is missing.
How do you know what happened before the camera was busted out. You say "only" the beginning, but how much happened? What was the interaction that WASN'T recorded that led to the part that WAS recorded? What did the cop say? How did the guy respond? What phrase, tone of voice, or action prompted the cop to draw his gun?

The answer is that we don't know the answer to ANY of these questions, because the guy edited the video himself. Perhaps ALL of this stuff was actually recorded. You're presuming the recording was only started at the point the YouTube video starts. Perhaps they were walking down the road recording the whole time in anticipation of the contact, but the initial contact looks REALLY bad?

When anything is omitted, then the entire thing is flawed because there's just too many questions that cannot be answered.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27   #143
Swiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
For those of you who have slung a rifle professionally, let me pose two questions.

When carrying your rifle via sling, in a non-hostile environment how do you carry your rifle?

When carrying your rifle via sling, in a hostile environment how do you carry your rifle?

Honest answers please.
Non-hostile: in a sling on my back, mussle pointing downward, no hands touching weapon

hostile: in sling on my front right side, mussle pointing downward; right hand touching weapon.

Last edited by Swiper; 04-24-2013 at 08:28..
Swiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:31   #144
Swiper

Anyhow, I am happy I saw this videoclip. Now I can stop worrying about passing my weigh-in next month. If that chunky-monkey can pass the tape so can I.