GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53   #26
G36's Rule
Senior Member
 
G36's Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spring, TX.
Posts: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Yeah, we know, you are one of those types of "good" citizens who will let anybody steamroll over your rights.

If black people were like you, they'd still be riding in the back of the bus.
You posting from another dimension again?
G36's Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:55   #27
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 54,774


Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
You posting from another dimension again?
Whatever, appeaser.

I'll bet you're one of those who are first in line to register your gun too.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57   #28
G36's Rule
Senior Member
 
G36's Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spring, TX.
Posts: 14,880
WTF are you yapping about?

G36's Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:20   #29
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
"Open carry" or lack thereof only applies to handguns in Texas. Perfectly legal to carry rifles or shotguns in the open.

That isn't going to stop some dip**** cop from trying to cause a scene if he so desires.

Quote:
Q: Can I carry a firearm on my person?

A: Yes, with proper licensing (Concealed Handgun License) you may carry a pistol or revolver on your person so long as it remains concealed. Long guns (rifles / shotguns) do not have to be concealed, but must be carried in a manner not calculated to cause alarm, and do not require a license. --http://www.texasgunlaws.org/
Now, I absolutely love the AR rifle platforms, and there should be absolutely nothing illegal about them. But carrying one slung across your chest in a ready position with a mag in the well and walking down a publicly traveled and accessible roadway (as opposed to, say, out on hunting ground) could very easily be construed as a manner calculated to cause alarm.
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb

Last edited by WarCry; 04-16-2013 at 11:20..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:37   #30
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,172


Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Now, I absolutely love the AR rifle platforms, and there should be absolutely nothing illegal about them. But carrying one slung across your chest in a ready position with a mag in the well and walking down a publicly traveled and accessible roadway (as opposed to, say, out on hunting ground) could very easily be construed as a manner calculated to cause alarm.

Of course it could. The internet is full of tough guys who would dispute that from the safety of their recliner. However, let them be at the local mall with their family when one of the loons strolls in with his AR at the ready and you will see them scurrying away with everyone else thinking "whats wrong with that guy".
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:38   #31
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 20,085
Perhaps it is just me but the telephone call that precipitated the incident might suggest some level of alarm.
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40   #32
G36's Rule
Senior Member
 
G36's Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spring, TX.
Posts: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Now, I absolutely love the AR rifle platforms, and there should be absolutely nothing illegal about them. But carrying one slung across your chest in a ready position with a mag in the well and walking down a publicly traveled and accessible roadway (as opposed to, say, out on hunting ground) could very easily be construed as a manner calculated to cause alarm.
Can you cite Texas law that would back up that opinion?
G36's Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04   #33
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Can you cite Texas law that would back up that opinion?
It's NOT an opinion, it's a matter of law. Google is an astonishing tool....


Quote:
PENAL CODE

TITLE 9. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND DECENCY

CHAPTER 42. DISORDERLY CONDUCT AND RELATED OFFENSES

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:

(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u.../htm/PE.42.htm
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb

Last edited by WarCry; 04-16-2013 at 12:05..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:13   #34
G36's Rule
Senior Member
 
G36's Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spring, TX.
Posts: 14,880
You should have posted that to begin with.

So he was charged with Disorderly Conduct?
G36's Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15   #35
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,594
Blog Entries: 1


There is that link I posted...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:17   #36
G36's Rule
Senior Member
 
G36's Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spring, TX.
Posts: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
There is that link I posted...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
Right, to a GlockTalk thread... Again, what is your point?
G36's Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21   #37
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,594
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Right, to a GlockTalk thread... Again, what is your point?
That GT thread contains more information. Enough to answer the questions posed in this thread.
Is it not always best to form an opinion using both the most information & knowledge?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21   #38
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Right, to a GlockTalk thread... Again, what is your point?
I'm getting the distinct impression someone may be banned from the CT section of the page.



And no, I shouldn't have posted the law at all. You should research things if you're not sure of them, exactly like I did. I posted it to try and shut you up from being an arrogant dick, but there is apparently no cure at all for that affliction.
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:21   #39
Psychman
NRA Life Member
 
Psychman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6,353
I have a feeling that eventually a judge is going to shake his or her head and dismiss the case after giving the "perp" and the officers a lesson from the bench.
__________________
NRA Life Member

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:23   #40
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,760


Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1481692

He's an activist who staged a confrontation.
Now he's crafting a tale to seek support.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
Nothing wrong with that. The confrontations serve to highlight the problems.

Job well done


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:33   #41
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,594
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Nothing wrong with that. The confrontations serve to highlight the problems.

Job well done


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The majority of the public have no firm opinion one way or the other on gun rights/gun control.

Which side will his actions likely push people to?
In reality, guys like him are killing us on the issue. They are more effective than all the money Blomberg spends.


Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40   #42
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,257


It's not just whether what you carry is legal. It's also about how you carry it. Carrying a rifle casually slung at the shoulder along a public road is one thing. Carrying a rifle slung across the chest in a tactical 'ready' position while walking down that same road is quite another.

I can see where that could cause legitimate alarm and can see why the police got a call.

That being said, the officer seems to have overreacted by drawing down on the man when he refused to surrender his weapon. The situation didn't call for anything more than a simple, "Sir, would you mind re-slinging that rifle?".

Both sides could stand to mellow out a bit.
__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:42   #43
G36's Rule
Senior Member
 
G36's Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spring, TX.
Posts: 14,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
I'm getting the distinct impression someone may be banned from the CT section of the page.



And no, I shouldn't have posted the law at all. You should research things if you're not sure of them, exactly like I did. I posted it to try and shut you up from being an arrogant dick, but there is apparently no cure at all for that affliction.


No, not banned. I've read the thread TBO links to. It has the same questions I'm asking.

You finally answered your own question by doing the research you should have done before. It is not illegal to carry a rifle openly, and the only crime he cold have committed with it he wasn't charged with.

Now if they did ask him to disarm and he didn't comply then he forked up. But since they have dropped the resisting I'm not too sure.
G36's Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:46   #44
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post


No, not banned. I've read the thread TBO links to. It has the same questions I'm asking.

You finally answered your own question by doing the research you should have done before. It is not illegal to carry a rifle openly, and the only crime he cold have committed with it he wasn't charged with.

Now if they did ask him to disarm and he didn't comply then he forked up. But since they have dropped the resisting I'm not too sure.
Years ago, when I was a dumb kid, I had a beat-up old truck. The radio didn't work, so I was driving with headphones on. I got stopped for it.

Because I was young and dumb, I also didn't have insurance. I was stopped for the headphones and I was cited for the no insurance, with no citation for the reason of the initial stop.


My point being that just because the cops stopped him for one thing, the fact that he wasn't charged with it doesn't make it an invalid reason for the stop.
__________________
"If you have something to say, now would be a perfect time to keep it to yourself." --Col. Chester Phillips
"If you believe everything you read, better not read." --Japanese proverb
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 13:32   #45
noway
Senior Member
 
noway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Davie "Cowboy" , FL
Posts: 19,409
As military former guy, this guy is not to smart. A office approaching you with a gun slung at your chest level or ready, is not smart.

no matter what he thought of his RKBA arms. Any half dim-wit should understand that's a bad posture to be in.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 13:42   #46
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,172


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
That being said, the officer seems to have overreacted by drawing down on the man when he refused to surrender his weapon. The situation didn't call for anything more than a simple, "Sir, would you mind re-slinging that rifle?".

Both sides could stand to mellow out a bit.

No...it doesn't. If an officer is called to investigate an unknown situation and an armed person refuses to disarm for the encounter every alarm bell in any reasonable officers head should be ringing.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 14:06   #47
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,760


Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The majority of the public have no firm opinion one way or the other on gun rights/gun control.

Which side will his actions likely push people to?
In reality, guys like him are killing us on the issue. They are more effective than all the money Blomberg spends.


Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
By "him" and "us" do you mean the man breaking no laws or the officer who arrested him for it?

Without the hassle by LEO, there is no story.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 14:07   #48
JAS104
NRA Life Member
 
JAS104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The majority of the public have no firm opinion one way or the other on gun rights/gun control.

Which side will his actions likely push people to?
In reality, guys like him are killing us on the issue. They are more effective than all the money Blomberg spends.


Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
I agree.
This is the exact opposite of the kind of press we need. I've said it before, when you display a firearm you immediately represent all gun owners. Whether that's good or bad is up to the person displaying it.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Ronald Reagan
JAS104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 14:11   #49
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 9,711
Counter Intelligence Agent on the nearby base. I wonder how long he will still have his Top Secret clearance if he is too stupid to avoid problems like this?
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32 and 36.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.
G26S239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 14:11   #50
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley
 
tsmo1066's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,257


Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
No...it doesn't. If an officer is called to investigate an unknown situation and an armed person refuses to disarm for the encounter every alarm bell in any reasonable officers head should be ringing.
My point is that the officer didn't have to instantly demand that the father surrender his weapon. The man wasn't breaking any laws or committing any overt, illegal act. Given this, the officer could have (and likely should have) simply asked that the father re-sling his weapon in a less 'aggressively tactical' manner.

Good cops know that sometimes the soft approach and defusing a situation works better than pushing a hard line and escalating things.
__________________
Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by tsmo1066; 04-16-2013 at 14:15..
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:42.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 931
325 Members
606 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42