Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-15-2013, 21:41   #1
redbeardintx

Reloads in glock 40

I have seen a lot of reference to not use reloads i nglock .40 cals. What exactally is the issue. Its not the general manufacture saying dont use reloads . I have seen it from powder manufactures as well as reloading equipment manufacturers, what givs . Can a drop in replacement barrel fix this? Thanks Chris
redbeardintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 21:47   #2
shotgunred
reloading nut

If you use a reload especially a lead one in a 40 SW glock. The gun will blow up and you will be lucky if you only end up losing a finger or two. Never use a glock they are guns and may hurt you.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 21:56   #3
Taterhead
Counting Beans

shotgunred's wee bit o' sarcasm pretty well explained it. Reloading for Glocks is totally fine. My G23 likes my reloads a lot.

If you know how to safely load serviceable ammo, then there is nothing inherently unsafe about shooting reloads in a Glock.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 22:34   #4
Scott30

I will never tell my G23 that the bullets it gets fed are not factory. So far it has not caught on.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:37   #5
danrum

I have fired thousands of reloaded rounds through Glock's without any issues. Use common sense and DO NOT LOAD "HOT LOADS" or do anything silly and you will be fine. This includes lead, plated and jacketed bullets of all sizes and weights.
danrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:09   #6
F106 Fan

Years and years ago, Glock didn't do a very good job of supporting the case at the feed ramp. The cartridge manufacturers didn't make very good cases (too thin) so the case deformed and the metal was weakened.

So, the reloaded case blew out and the gun self-disassembled. It could happen with factory rounds as well.

Both issues have been resolved for modern guns and ammo.

The other "problem" is that Glock, in the Armorer's Manual, specifically states that lead bullets are not to be used in their barrels. But they also state that reloads should not be used at all so there you have it.

Many reloaders shoot lead in Glock barrels. Some buy aftermarket barrels. Some buy the wrong aftermarket barrel and lead rounds don't fit the chamber. It goes either way.

If you reload jacketed bullets, use the factory barrel. In my opinion, and almost nobody agrees, use a KKM barrel for lead reloads.

You can Google for 'glock unsupported chamber' to see pictures of chambers vs Glock Generation.

Richard
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38   #7
ron59
Bustin Caps

We REALLY need a sticky at the top of this forum for drivel such as this. Once a month.... the same question.

OP. SERIOUSLY? You couldn't have just done THIS?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reloads+in+a+glock+.40

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39   #8
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

My G23 has eaten a number of handloads of both the jacketed and lead variety. It doesn't seem to mind either way.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00   #9
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
We REALLY need a sticky at the top of this forum for drivel such as this. Once a month.... the same question.

OP. SERIOUSLY? You couldn't have just done THIS?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reloads+in+a+glock+.40

The sticky is a really good idea. As you point out, this only comes up once or twice a month.

Maybe two stickies: Unsupported Chambers and Lead In Glock Barrels. Possibly a third re: reloading for .40 S&W since there are so many people shooting that cartridge and most newcomers want to start with it.

Richard
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07   #10
ss30378

I've only shot reloads out of my G24, stock barrel. I've gone well above max loads and have shot lead through it. According to the masses I shouldn't be alive to tell this... Well guess the masses were wrong. If you have a newer glock the chamber support is much better now than when the "death if you shoot reloads" warning came out. Lead bullets don't grip the radiused land and groove rifling that glocks have very well so leading can become a problem if you don't check to make sure your barrel is clean. In this instance an aftermarket barrel can be useful. Just keep an eye on things until you know what the gun prefers. Easy enough.
ss30378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05   #11
SARDG

It's a toss-up - are stickies the very last place people look for answers and info, or is Google?? I see this on all the threads - repeated, redundant questions. I doubt that a sticky or 2 will help at all.

You can grin and bear it and answer the question, or ignore it because the answer has been posted out on the ether a million times already... or give sage advice like Red's.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 17:41   #12
shotgunred
reloading nut

the fewer people who are competing with me for 40 reloading components the better.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 22:48   #13
redbeardintx

First of thank you gentlemen for your quick and thoughtfull replies
.My first exposure to glocks and reloading was somewhere in 1987., with a Glock 17 and a Lee Reloader kit.Even then there was not a lot said about using lead in reloads, which was not in my O.P.,but good info none the less.

F106 That was a great ,concise answer . I had never heard of the un-suppported issue in glocks, yes there were issues loading .40 cals in m1911 platforms,soon after its introduction.My first .40 was a very low sn s&w 4006 i bought the first months of its introduction.I have and still own many glocks but the .40 cals were late comming in the game. That didnt happen till the gen3 and 4's. Not due to the early reports of the "un locking" timing issues that developed in the 1st gen G .40's, but due to I was still carring M1911 .45's
To me this forum is a lot like others , there is a lot of good and bad info .Along with a lot of different egos and personalities.So Im not supprised to see some scarcasm ( im usually guilty of that my self , just ask my students)and would not normally address negative comments.
Drivel is defined as:n/silly nonsense.
This defination would never be applied to a safety question in a persuit we enjoy such as reloading. I dismiss this as ignorance of the meaning of the word.
That being said Ron59, i totally agree this would make a good stickey .By your own admission this topic comes up quite frequently.So it must be a question that new reloaders , and seasoned ones as well , when transitioning into a new platform. I dont even mind using my post as a sticky.
Oh ,by the way based by your number of posts you must be quite knowledgeable in the subjectI applaud your dedication to the forum. Im sure you have provided a lot of good info through the years. To answer you as to why I didnt Google this topic:Google turns up a lot of bad info and subjective opinion in relaoding. I did try to search this topic in GT's search function but it kept kicking the page back to the home page last night .As with a lot of issues i like to "go to the experts" when i need to know something fast.
In closing i again thank yall for the good info. Chris
redbeardintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 23:19   #14
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeardintx View Post
First of thank you gentlemen for your quick and thoughtfull replies...
I'm not a gentleman - and based on Red's post, he isn't either... but for different reasons.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote