Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:52   #1
SJ 40

War Veteran Arrested for 'Rudely Displaying' Rifle

War Veteran Arrested for “Rudely Displaying” Rifle
Posted in Top Stories | 0 comments
Apr 15, 2013
By Todd Starnes
A decorated war veteran on a Boy Scout hike with his 15-year-old son was arrested alongside a Texas country road after a police officer accused him of “rudely displaying” a firearm.
FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!
Army Master Sgt. C.J. Grisham told Fox News he was illegally disarmed by members of the Temple Police Dept. – even though he held the proper permits to carry his weapons.
Grisham and his son were on a 10-mile hike in a rural area populated by wild boars and cougars. He was carrying an AR-15 rifle and a .45 caliber pistol.

Master Sgt. CJ Grisham with his children on the day he returned from Afghanistan.
He was charged with resisting arrest – even though video his son filmed of the incident clearly showed that Grisham did not resist arrest. Police later reduced the charges to interfering with a peace officer while performing a duty – a class B misdemeanor.
“I’m still frankly and honestly 100 percent confused about what I’m being charged with,” Grisham said.
Temple Police told local media that the Fort Hood soldier refused to hand of his weapon – leading to his arrest. However, the video shows that Grisham complied with their demands.
One of the officers told Grisham that anyone holding a gun is considered dangerous, according to a 15-minute video obtained by Fox News.
“In this day and age people are alarmed when they see someone with what you have,” one of the officers told a handcuffed Grisham. “They don’t care what the law is.”
FAIR AND BALANCED COVERAGE OF THE CULTURE WAR – CLICK HERE FOR AMERICAN DISPATCHES!
At one point in the video Grisham asked the officers why they failed to ask to see his carry and conceal permit.
The video shows the arresting officer telling the Fort Hood soldier that he was “rudely displaying” the AR-15.
Grisham, who is a “huge Constitutionalist,” then asked the officer if he cared what the law is.
“The easy wrong would have been to surrender my rights and allow the cops to disarm me,” he said. “That’s the easy wrong to me. The hard right is putting ourselves on the line knowing that something could happen.”
Grisham told Fox News he plans on fighting the charges and suing the police department for what he considered to be an illegal arrest and violating his Constitutional rights.
“For the first time in my life, I had to sit in jail,” he said. “I’ve never been in jail — never been accused of a crime. I was treated like a street thug.”
A pre-trial hearing has been set for May 29th.

Master Sgt. CJ Grisham with President Bush in the Oval Office.
Grisham, a well-known military blogger, is a decorated veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. He’s served in the military for more than 18 years and was awarded the Bronze Star with Valor. But he came under fire within the military for a blog posting that was critical of President Obama. Columnist Michelle Malkin once wrote about Grisham’s plight.
The master sergeant, his wife and their three children live on a farm in Temple — about two miles from where he was arrested.
Grisham’s trouble with the law started in mid-March. His son Chris was working on one of the final merit badges he needed to become an Eagle Scout. Chris had chosen hiking.
Father and son grabbed their gear and headed out on a blustery Saturday morning to hike about 10 miles. They were midway through the trip when Grisham turned around and saw a police car.
“At that point I heard him tell us to hold on a second and he motioned for me and my son to come back,” Grisham said. “He didn’t have his lights on. Everything was calm and casual. He asked what we were doing.”
Grisham had his AR-15 slung around the front of his body — a rifle he’s been using since he joined the military.
At some point the officer pulled his pistol on the father and son and grabbed Grisham’s AR-15.
“He slammed me onto the hood of the car,” he said. “I had my hands straight up and that’s when I saw our camera – and turned it on.”
For the next 15 minutes, Grisham’s son recorded the entire incident.

Christopher Grisham
“I wanted to make sure that we had everything on film,” he said. “Everything that happened that day was manufactured by the police officer. We weren’t out there to make a statement. Our intention was to hike 10 miles and go home.”
By all indications, Grisham was arrested just because he was legally carrying his firearms.
And as bad as he was treated, Grisham said he is furious over how the police treated his son.
Chris followed his dad’s instructions to keep the videotape going — even though it’s clear the incident took an emotional toll on the boy. As the officers put Grisham in the back of the car, the video picked up sounds of Chris crying.
The officers told Grisham they would take the boy home.
“I told him not to answer any questions,” Grisham said. “I told him not to answer a single question until his mother was there — and she would answer the questions for him.”
But that’s not what happened.
Chris told Fox News that the police officer refused to let him out of the car until he answered a series of questions. The boy had not been arrested.
“The officer told me that I wasn’t getting out of the patrol car until I answered his questions,” Chris said. “He said I didn’t have a choice. I was scared.”
Grisham said his boy was traumatized by the incident.
“Every time he sees a police officer he has a panic attack,” he said. “That’s unfortunate because we always taught our kids to respect police officers. My wife and I are angry about it.”
He said he explained to his son that they did nothing wrong on that day.
“My son has his own copy of the Constitution,” Grisham said. “He understands his rights. He understand the concept of choosing the hard right over the easy wrong.”
Chris told Fox News that he looks up to his father — and admires him for what he did on the side of that road.
“When I grow up, I want to be like him — he inspires me,” the 15-year-old said.
Grisham said the events of last month have led him to question why he is still in the military.
“It doesn’t seem like our rights are being respected,” he said. “For me, it’s a difficult turning point. I wonder what it is that I’m fighting for. If our basic rights are being violated this way — what is my purpose?”
And as Grisham awaits his court date, Chris is gearing up to start his Eagle Scout project. The teenager will be working on a local historic cemetery – repairing headstones and replacing signs.
But the young boy wonders what will happen to his dad.
“He didn’t do anything wrong at all,” he said.

Won’t Ask To Disarm from CJ Grisham on Vimeo.

In This Day And Age from CJ Grisham on Vimeo.

What Crime Have I Committed? from CJ Grisham on Vimeo.

Watch the videos.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...ing-rifle.html

IMO this man has a heck of a case . SJ 40
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59   #2
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

If this is the real story, it is a disgrace.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:12   #3
SJ 40

A discrace and in the process maybe a Texas police department can learn a thing or two about a document some Old Angry White Guys,penned a couple hundred years ago called the Constitution. SJ 40
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21   #4
Sharkey

Things aren't always as the article states
Old 04-15-2013, 12:36   #5
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Yes, it is a disgrace. I would really like to see the whole video that they took.

Last edited by oldman11; 04-15-2013 at 12:42..
Old 04-15-2013, 21:08   #6
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

I'm not gonna comment on what happened as we don't have the whole story but I will say his attitude, choice of language and tone of voice did not help him.

As a veteren, I would expect a bit more composure from a master sergeant.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
Old 04-15-2013, 21:17   #7
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...5#post20180425
Old 04-16-2013, 14:30   #8
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Things aren't always as the article states
maybe not, but video doesn't lie.

Someone should see to it that Rick Perry sees this incident.

The Temple PD is a disgrace, and the office and the Sgt need to go back to training.

Last edited by Lord; 04-16-2013 at 14:35..
Old 04-16-2013, 15:42   #9
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
maybe not, but video doesn't lie.

Someone should see to it that Rick Perry sees this incident.

The Temple PD is a disgrace, and the office and the Sgt need to go back to training.
I already had this conversation on another forum.
Most who aren't cops and are pro citizen's rights find fault with the officer.
Most who have stopped people with guns before see it a different way.
He can claim all he wants that he was just hiking but his past behavior shows that he was out there to prove a point.

He made his point and consequences followed. That is what we do know. Seeing that neither of us were there, we are just going off his side of the story. Video can't be edited or manipulated - ala Rodney King?

Jump to any conclusion you want, it won't matter until the case goes to trial.
Old 04-16-2013, 16:23   #10
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

Looks like he's making the rounds of the conservative media. Even the respectable journals are being taken in...

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...ree-cj-grisham
Old 04-17-2013, 09:25   #11
SCmasterblaster

What a disgrace!!!!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:33   #12
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Yes, he is. Wouldn't be quite as bad if he didn't wear his military service on his sleeve (figuratively speaking).
Old 04-17-2013, 18:48   #13
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshooter10 View Post
I'm not gonna comment on what happened as we don't have the whole story but I will say his attitude, choice of language and tone of voice did not help him.

As a veteren, I would expect a bit more composure from a master sergeant.
This...
Old 04-17-2013, 21:56   #14
jdchen0407

All members please watch this...

Hi, I am not sure if i am posting this in the right thread but this just recently happened a few days ago.... please help this guy win his civil suit. I was rather disgusted by this video. It makes me sad this is what it has come to.

Old 04-17-2013, 22:15   #15
hogship
It's MY Island

The guy should have kept his mouth shut......that is the one reason why any law suit wouldn't fly. It kind of looks like he was a little overly anxious to confront the officers. I tend to side with the officers here.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 04-17-2013, 22:29   #16
jdchen0407

I agree with that but I would be ticked off as well if my son had to see me in handcuffs
Old 04-17-2013, 22:36   #17
SGT HATRED

You will soon find out that this man was asking for trouble and cops can do no wrong...

Good luck with your enlightenment
Old 04-17-2013, 22:36   #18
BenjiEDF

What was he under arrest for? Watched the whole video, that was never clear. Not trying to start an argument... just wondering.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
Old 04-17-2013, 22:44   #19
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
What was he under arrest for? Watched the whole video, that was never clear. Not trying to start an argument... just wondering.
The whole incident is a result of attitude. It's hard to say what would have happened if he hadn't been belligerent, but I'd be willing to bet the cop would have secured the weapons, checked him out, and let him go.

Without the confrontational attitude, it's possible the cop wouldn't have bothered to secure the weapons at all.....but, with the attitude as it was, I don't blame him for concluding that securing the weapons would be the proper way to handle the situation.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 04-17-2013 at 22:55..
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39   #20
zbusdriver

War Veteran Arrested for “Rudely Displaying” Rifle

Is there even such a law on the books that referrers to "Rudely Displaying?"

Or, did the arresting officer make this up?

Closed Thread