Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2013, 17:47   #1
misfit356tsw

Light primer strikes Gen2 G20

Purchased a used Glock 20 Gen2 with a WL prefix. Got some Underwood ammo and went to shoot it for the second time and it was not firing due to light light primer strikes 10% of the time. The primers barely had a dimple in them. Looked at the trigger bar and it is a 4256 with quite a bit of wear. This gun also has the black 4340 ejector. Looks like I have some work to do.
mrsmisfit on the Sewing Forum: You know what really irks me today my husband said again that he doesn't like vanilla ice cream. He keeps saying it and it hurts my feelings! I'm sick and tired of doing his dishes and he wont even rinse them out first!

Last edited by misfit356tsw; 04-14-2013 at 18:11..
misfit356tsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 19:43   #2
Meathead9

That might have been god's way of saving your eyes, hands & gun. The GEN 2 G20 barrels have a reputation of a significantly less supported chamber. Depending on which load you bought, it might not be the best idea to run it through a stock GEN 2 G20 barrel.

About the light strikes, it could be something as simple as a gummed up firing pin channel. Detail strip the slide, clean out the FP channel & inspect the striker assembly.

Of course it's possible that the ammo is to blame, so try contacting Underwood to see if they can help.

Last edited by Meathead9; 04-14-2013 at 19:46..
Meathead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 20:00   #3
misfit356tsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead9 View Post
That might have been god's way of saving your eyes, hands & gun. The GEN 2 G20 barrels have a reputation of a significantly less supported chamber. Depending on which load you bought, it might not be the best idea to run it through a stock GEN 2 G20 barrel.

About the light strikes, it could be something as simple as a gummed up firing pin channel. Detail strip the slide, clean out the FP channel & inspect the striker assembly.

Of course it's possible that the ammo is to blame, so try contacting Underwood to see if they can help.

Thank you for the concern about the barrel but there is absolutely no signs of overpressure, smiles, etc. There is barely a bulge in the brass. I reload, so I check 10mm brass with an extra eye. I was worried about that myself.

I detail stripped this gun prior to shooting it, as I am terribly obsessive. Brought the gun home after shooting today and made sure that I had reassembled the striker properly.

It is possible that ammo is to blame but these strikes were nothing more than small dimples, leading me to believe it was not an ammo issue.

The portion of the trigger assembly that the striker rides on has seen better days. This on top of the fact that it has now been replaced by a 4256-1 model.

Thank you very much for your input. I will try cleaning the FP channel again tomorrow. You have a great night.
mrsmisfit on the Sewing Forum: You know what really irks me today my husband said again that he doesn't like vanilla ice cream. He keeps saying it and it hurts my feelings! I'm sick and tired of doing his dishes and he wont even rinse them out first!
Old 04-14-2013, 20:03   #4
misfit356tsw

And just so everyone knows, this gun is all stock.
Old 04-14-2013, 20:44   #5
bentbiker
NRA Member

Was the dimple in cases that fired also light? Can someone advise as to whether Underwood is known to have hard primers? In this time of scarce primers, maybe they had to buy whatever they could find???

Since you don't know what striker spring is in the gun, you might consider replacing with either the std spring or a 6# extra strength spring.

Last edited by bentbiker; 04-14-2013 at 20:47..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13   #6
misfit356tsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Was the dimple in cases that fired also light? Can someone advise as to whether Underwood is known to have hard primers? In this time of scarce primers, maybe they had to buy whatever they could find???

Since you don't know what striker spring is in the gun, you might consider replacing with either the std spring or a 6# extra strength spring.
The dimples in the cases that fired looked like normal strikes on the primer. I will probably be replacing the striker spring as an extra precautionary measure. Thank you sir.
Old 04-15-2013, 16:46   #7
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

You gotta flick your wrist when you fire each round like they did in old movies. It gives the firing pin that extra oomph.
Old 04-15-2013, 19:23   #8
R0CKETMAN
NRA MEMBER

Pics would help

"Home of the Free because of the Brave"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 19:48   #9
JimIsland

My Gen 2 G20 lacked chamber support and could not hande Underwood, DT, etc. However, it cycled everything else fine. I installed an aftermarket barrel with a heavier spring and have been blasting away ever since. Sounds like you have a handle on it but be careful.....my barrel was sloppy and got lucky.
JimIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 22:04   #10
Taterhead
Counting Beans

I agree with checking the firing pin channel. I like to clean with a Qtip and rubbing alcohol. Just be sure not to leave any Qtip fuzz. The second look would be the striker spring.
Old 04-16-2013, 00:08   #11
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead9 View Post
... The GEN 2 G20 barrels have a reputation of a significantly less supported chamber. ..
And yet that Gen2 barrel is strong enough to shoot the hottest factory ammo available. I was there in the early nineties and owned 3 Glock 20 all of which digested the hot Hirtenberger ammo without issues.
I observed one pistol being blown up with a double reload of 3N37 and when the whole mess was sent to Glock for examination it was found that the barrel was still sound and intact.

OP, I had the same issues with one of them. Clean it thoroughly. If it still acts up get a red or blue firing pin spring!

Last edited by MrGlock21; 04-16-2013 at 00:08..
MrGlock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:33   #12
MinervaDoe

I had a similar issue with my own reloads. The round headspaces on the mouth of the round. When I correctly tapercrimped the round to .423, my light primer strikes went away. Still, you've got factory ammo ....... and I wouldn't expect you to have this problem.
Just FYI ....
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:07   #13
misfit356tsw

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4983.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	232729
This is a picture I found that illustrates the difference between the 4256 and 4256-1. I will be replacing the 4256 trigger bar with the replacement 4256-1 because the longer cruciform will pull the striker back farther, ensuring proper ignition. This on top of the fact that the top of the cruciform in my pistol is well worn. I will also be replacing the striker spring since I do not actually know how old it is.

Checked the striker channel and it is still clean, as I cleaned everything before I shot the gun.
Old 04-16-2013, 22:16   #14
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit356tsw View Post
Attachment 232729
This is a picture I found that illustrates the difference between the 4256 and 4256-1. I will be replacing the 4256 trigger bar with the replacement 4256-1 because the longer cruciform will pull the striker back farther, ensuring proper ignition. This on top of the fact that the top of the cruciform in my pistol is well worn. I will also be replacing the striker spring since I do not actually know how old it is.

Checked the striker channel and it is still clean, as I cleaned everything before I shot the gun.
Good plan. Glock parts are inexpensive and easy to swap. Let us know if that solves the problem.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:54   #15
misfit356tsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I had a similar issue with my own reloads. The round headspaces on the mouth of the round. When I correctly tapercrimped the round to .423, my light primer strikes went away. Still, you've got factory ammo ....... and I wouldn't expect you to have this problem.
Just FYI ....
I will keep that in mind when reloading. I haven't started with 10mm yet because it is currently fairly difficult to find any of the supplies. Just keeping my brass for now. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
You gotta flick your wrist when you fire each round like they did in old movies. It gives the firing pin that extra oomph.
Old 04-17-2013, 22:19   #16
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit356tsw View Post
I will keep that in mind when reloading. I haven't started with 10mm yet because it is currently fairly difficult to find any of the supplies. Just keeping my brass for now. Thank you.

If you use a set of dial calipers on factory ammunition, I think you'll see that their taper crimp is closer to .422 .... So, that's what I do.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 13:57   #17
misfit356tsw

Finally got around to testing my Gen2 G20 that was having light primer strike issues with the original 4256 trigger assembly. The new 4256-1 assembly has fixed the light primer strike issues. Looking at the old assembly it looks like the cruciform (where it makes contact with the striker) was worn to an almost knifelike edge. This compounded with the fact that the old cruciform was shorter, thereby not pulling the striker back as far, probably caused the perfect storm creating my issues. Thank you everyone for your input on this subject and I hope this helps someone in the future.