Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-11-2013, 20:36   #1
Chuck66
Traveling Man

Fencing the yard. What works? What would you do different?

The fam and I moved a couple months ago, and when we were looking to buy, we agreed a fenced back yard would be great. Main reason would be for the 6 month old pooch and our kids, 8 and 3, to have a safe place to play that doesn't require we watch them every second. What we didn't expect was that the fence options would be quite as pricey as they are.

Small, flat lot in new subdivision, neighbors in every freakin' direction. Would be 309 linear feet of fencing, in either 6' vinyl or 4' metal, will be between $7400-$10,200, depending on the installer/material. That's a whole lot of cash for a "want" not a "need". I was hoping more like $4-5k.

I don't have the tools on hand to do it myself, nor really the time, so we're not likely to DIY. I've tried haggling, offering straight cash, price matching. None of them are budging. We've tried 5 independents, Lowes and Home Depot.

We're considering backing down to the Invisible Fence or Pet Safe options ($400-$1400, depending on how we do it). That's no help with the kids(collars aren't big enough to fit them ) But frankly they're OK without a fence, but it would still be nice to have.

So, did any of you learn any tricks for getting deals when using an installer? Is the cheaper stuff that's $35 or $45 a section worth using at all vs. the stuff that's $70 a section, or is it a waste to use the cheap stuff? What would you do differently if you were re-fencing? I'm just trying to gather opinions so I can deciding if dropping the better part of $10,000 on some fencing that doesn't even have gun turrets at the corners is worth it.

Thanks!
Freemason's Lodge #66

Behold! How swiftly the sands run, and how rapidly our lives are drawing to a close.
Chuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 21:00   #2
Red Stick

Why not regular 6' dog eared treated pine privacy fence? I paid $20 per foot for shadow box (which is a little more expensive) 2 summers ago. Also had a section of 6' aluminum put in at that time for $30 per foot.

I know you said you weren't looking to DIY but with a tool rental store, a few friends, and a weekend, wood fence can be put up pretty easily and you'll save a lot of money. I did 330' at a previous house. Setting the post is the hardest part.
Old 04-11-2013, 21:05   #3
Adjuster

Pay the high price for the vinyl and never look back. It will outlive your family with zero future maintenance. May have to pressure wash once every 10 years if it gets dirty but even that is unlikely. Any other fence material is going to require constant maintenance and even full replacement over the years. The vinyl will also significantly increase the value of your home. A wood fence can potentially reduce the value of your home if it is in poor condition. Chain link just looks trashy.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 21:20   #4
Chuck66
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stick View Post
Why not regular 6' dog eared treated pine privacy fence?
Deed restrictions limit the options to ornamental metal or vinyl. No wood or chain link. I'm told one lady got a verbal variance from the developer, and the installer had the posts set, and was ready to put the wood panels up, and the developer showed up after receiving just one complaint and revoked the variance mid-job.
Freemason's Lodge #66

Behold! How swiftly the sands run, and how rapidly our lives are drawing to a close.
Old 04-11-2013, 21:22   #5
Chuck66
Traveling Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Pay the high price for the vinyl and never look back. It will outlive your family with zero future maintenance. May have to pressure wash once every 10 years if it gets dirty but even that is unlikely. Any other fence material is going to require constant maintenance and even full replacement over the years. The vinyl will also significantly increase the value of your home. A wood fence can potentially reduce the value of your home if it is in poor condition. Chain link just looks trashy.

/
The sales reps say the metal is the way to go as far as maintenance, but I tend to agree with you that the vinyl will be just as, if not more, low-maint. I also like the additional privacy and security offered by the taller vinyl. I prefer the look of the metal. Overall, leaning toward the vinyl if I do it. The fact that I may be able to recoup some or all of it when reselling the home(which is hopefully around 20 years down the road, at least) may help me swallow the idea of writing that big check.
Freemason's Lodge #66

Old 04-11-2013, 21:26   #6
Adjuster

I am not sure what 'metal' fence you are referring to? Can you post a link?

/
Old 04-11-2013, 21:42   #7
Chuck66
Traveling Man

Something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_336382-31985...r|1&facetInfo=

There are varying degrees of detail available, and the installers all say it lasts forever, no painting, pressure washing, etc. No doubt when I look at what others in the neighborhood have, this is the best looking option. but, about anyone(or about any thing) could easily jump it, and it obviously wouldn't offer any privacy. Vinyl wins in both security and privacy aspects.
Freemason's Lodge #66

Last edited by Chuck66; 04-11-2013 at 21:45..
Old 04-11-2013, 21:48   #8
Adjuster

Ah yes I wasn't thinking of that type of fence. It is very popular down here in the subdivisions of Florida. It is a nice looking fence but zero privacy. It is used down here so you can see through it if you live on a lake or canal.

/
Old 04-12-2013, 21:19   #9
Soupah
Luck be a lady

My advice is to rethink DIY.

I fenced my yard last summer myself with 4' white wood picket. With tool rental (post hole auger), pre made fencing, concrete bags, and two gates, I got the whole 30x30 back yard done for $700. Getting a fence installed will not touch that price, as i'm sure you found.

Technically easy- It did take 4 whole days though (two weekends)...
Old 04-12-2013, 21:22   #10
number1gun

Concrete 10' high. Stainless rebar. Razor on top.
Good fences make excellent neighbors. Or...standard shadow box and call it a day.
number1gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:32   #11
meleors
Cranky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1gun View Post
Concrete 10' high. Stainless rebar. Razor on top.
Good fences make excellent neighbors. Or...standard shadow box and call it a day.
Shards of glass from broken beer bottles of different colors, embedded in the concrete across the top and on the outside walls would add a pleasant ornamental look.
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:40   #12
cfrye11

We chose dog watch. Its a company just like invisible fence. $1100. Been great. Invisible fence is a scam. They start so high then call back six months later with a half price deal.

My golden is so well trained on it I haven't put the Collier on her in a few years.

You can also go diy my buddy did his with a rented wire barrier for under $300 .

Although he had to do all the training .

molan labe
cfrye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:02   #13
Z71bill

I built a "standard" 4x4 posts, 2x4 cross members & 6' wooden dog ear pickets.

I did a 2x4 board all along the bottom at ground level - I wish I would have used at least a 2x6 - maybe even a 2x8.

I spent the extra $ and used metal connectors at the 4x4 post to 2x4 cross member joints. Much better that just "tacking" the 2x4 to the post with nails.

Use the correct wood screws to attach the pickets - it will cost you more but it makes for a stronger longer lasting fence.

To the posts I attached
2x4 along the bottom (nails)
2x4 at the top (nails)
2x4 in the middle (metal connectors)
2x4 8" above ground (metal connectors)

Last edited by Z71bill; 04-13-2013 at 15:54..
Z71bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:29   #14
meleors
Cranky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrye11 View Post
My golden is so well trained on it I haven't put the Collier on her in a few years.
Why would you ever put a coal miner on her?

Just kidding! Typos are a b****, eh?
meleors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02   #15
Jeremy_K

I installled an invisible fence for a little over $300 on about an acre of yard and trained my dog to it myself. I rented a trencher from Home Depot that digs the trench, lays the wire, and buries the wire all in one pass. It was so easy I couldn't understand why my father inlaw and sister inlaw each spent over $1000 for someone else to do the same thing.

Last edited by Jeremy_K; 04-13-2013 at 09:03..
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:36   #16
wrenrj1

My thoughts after having a 6 ft. Cedar fence.
-Go with galvanized posts
-Go with vinyl, you'll either have to stain/powerwash your cedar fence every few years unless you like the dingy grey look. Vinyl has come a long way.
-Put in sprinkler systems AFTER the fence or you risk hitting water lines.
-Find your lot pins and make sure you are within your lot lines.
-yard trimming is a PITA around fences, especially back on back fences. Consider some sort of buffer like rock etc. around the border, it's easier to mow.
-if you live in an area that is prone to wind storms, get a fence that allows some air flow through the fence.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:17   #17
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrye11 View Post
We chose dog watch. Its a company just like invisible fence. $1100. Been great. Invisible fence is a scam. They start so high then call back six months later with a half price deal.

You can also go diy my buddy did his with a rented wire barrier for under $300 .

Although he had to do all the training .

molan labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_K View Post
I installled an invisible fence for a little over $300 on about an acre of yard and trained my dog to it myself. I rented a trencher from Home Depot that digs the trench, lays the wire, and buries the wire all in one pass. It was so easy I couldn't understand why my father inlaw and sister inlaw each spent over $1000 for someone else to do the same thing.
The problems with these suggestions are that the OP said he wanted the fence for both his dogs AND for his kids so they don't have to be watched 100% of the time they're outside.

Unless you're advocating putting the collars on the kids, as well as every potential 'bad guy' that might want to come in and do harm to the kids, the invisible fence probably doesn't meet his needs...
Old 04-13-2013, 12:16   #18
HarlDane

Growing up here in California, it always amazed me that suburban neighborhoods in other areas didn't all come with 6 foot privacy fences. It was one of the first things I noticed when I started traveling. Around here, everyone has a wooden or concrete block fence, even in old neighborhoods.
HarlDane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:20   #19
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck66 View Post
Deed restrictions limit the options to ornamental metal or vinyl. No wood or chain link.
And that's why you're paying out the ass for fence.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 13:14   #20
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post
Growing up here in California, it always amazed me that suburban neighborhoods in other areas didn't all come with 6 foot privacy fences. It was one of the first things I noticed when I started traveling. Around here, everyone has a wooden or concrete block fence, even in old neighborhoods.
My wife's from Simi Valley and has said the same thing. Even after living here for just short of 20 years, it still surprises her.
Old 04-23-2013, 13:12   #21
Chuck66
Traveling Man

OK, gang. Thanks for the advice. We've gotten some quotes that are slightly less than stratospheric, and we may be going with a traditional fence, but after all the positive comments above, we are looking at the invisible fence option one last time before we pull the trigger.

So...any further insight is appreciated on Dog Guard vs. Invisible Fence. Is one better than the other for any reason? Due to the shape of the yard, the radio version with the central transmitter isn't going to work for us, so it'll have to be buried. It's a tempting option, as even paying the price that invisible fence offered, it's still about $6000 less than the cheapest vinyl option.
Freemason's Lodge #66

Old 04-23-2013, 14:29   #22
Jimbo107

Go with the vinyl fence man. I've had mine for going on 15 years and it looks as good as the day it was installed with absolutely no maintenance.
Jimbo107 is offline   Reply With Quote