Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:11   #151
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Why do they keep doing that?

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10   #152
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Well to be fair, she's got meds/treatments staggered around the clock, so it probably couldn't be done too much differently, maybe just a bit more...quietly?

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48   #153
Shinytop

When I recovering in the hospital from back surgery I heard a nurse come in. My wife asked her why she wanted to wake me. The nurse said I just came on duty and I need to introduce myself. My wife told her to get the hell out and only wake me for medical reasons. I was proud of my wife that night.

The last place for rest is the hospital.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12   #154
Mrs. VR
Administrator

I'm very unhappy with an ongoing situation that I don't want to post about until it's resolved, but it involves people not listening when they should, and reinforces my belief that ANYONE in the hospital needs someone with them to advocate, and ESPECIALLY people who might in any way be impaired. I have always felt strongly about that, but it's become more of a passion at this point. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

on a semi related note, i left yesterday morning to run down to the USUHS Simulation Center to be a standardized patient. (I am going again this afternoon). I get to help military med students/nursing students/residents, etc practice their hands on and interpersonal skills. This is a REALLY IMPORTANT thing to do, in my opinion. I am very happy to have the chance to make even a tiny bit of difference in that way, especially after this latest trial by fire, and seeing how some medical staff become so detached/don't really listen, etc.

ok, clearly i'm still sleep deprived as i am still rambling. Maybe a second night at home in a row will fix that. Actually, it'll be three nights, as I'm spending the day up there Friday, but not the night. I'm glad we all have phones with calendars, i'm kind of losing track of the days.

90/9/1

Old 05-02-2013, 10:14   #155
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. VR View Post
I'm very unhappy with an ongoing situation that I don't want to post about until it's resolved, but it involves people not listening when they should, and reinforces my belief that ANYONE in the hospital needs someone with them to advocate, and ESPECIALLY people who might in any way be impaired. I have always felt strongly about that, but it's become more of a passion at this point. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

and seeing how some medical staff become so detached/don't really listen, etc.
Contact the Maryland Health Care Commission, they know how to light a fire under the hospital's rear end. http://mhcc.dhmh.maryland.gov/SitePages/Home.aspx
http://mhcc.maryland.gov/consumerinf.../resources.htm

If it was me and I didn't think a family member was getting the appropriate level of care my first step would be the hospital CEO followed up by a call to the above organization.

For example if I felt the level of care was not up to par due to understaffing I would remind the CEO that per 42 CFR 482.23 in order for their organization to accept any payments from Medicaid and Medicare there has to be appropriate staffing levels, otherwise they risk any reimbursement by CMS.

Last edited by JMS; 05-02-2013 at 10:24..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:43   #156
Mrs. VR
Administrator

I'm concerned about doing anything that might affect her current level of care, but VR is on it.

In other news, I think her next bone marrow biopsy is tomorrow. ( Or saturday)That will tell us if the treatment is doing/has done anything. not sure how long results take. Obviously we are all pretty anxious about it.

90/9/1

Old 05-02-2013, 11:57   #157
JMS

Quote:
I'm concerned about doing anything that might affect her current level of care, but VR is on it.
They wouldn't dare, the s-storm that it would bring down on them would be enormous. The squeaky wheel does get the grease.

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 00:09   #158
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Like your style Mrs VR. You're so right about patients needing someone there to help them. The primary purpose of the nurse is to always be the "patient advocate."

Make friends with the staff (tough to do right now, but try) and things go much better for the patient. Work together with them. Treat them with slightest hostility, seem difficult, and your mom will be the patient nobody wants to care for.

Set a helpful, respectful tone. Kind of like dealing with the cop that pulls you over. Make the encounter as friendly as possible and everybody wins. Be difficult, and I've seen people talk their way IN to jail. Like LEO's, nurses have a job to do and a lot of bosses to answer too.

Still sending prayers for you all.

Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:43   #159
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Again, for the most part, everyone has been wonderful. I can't say enough about the nursing staff in general. They are amazing, and I have no idea how they do this everyday. We did have an opportunity today to speak with the nurse manager. She came in to introduce herself, etc and spent probably 20 minutes with us. We were able to address our specific concerns as well as to give lots of individual kudos.

They did her bone marrow biopsy and once again I manged not to faint ( although ill never look at a corkscrew or turkey baster the same again) and mom is a damn hero.

90/9/1

Old 05-03-2013, 13:46   #160
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Oh, and to be clear, the issue we had was equally with the doctors as it was with the nurses, I'm not blaming one group. Heck, even the techs bear part if the load. It was just very weird and I was starting to wonder if we had suddenly turned invisible.

90/9/1

Old 05-03-2013, 14:14   #161
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Nurses have favorite patients and patients have favorite nurses. If you see the same nurse day after day, you've been adopted by the nurse. If you prefer a specific nurse, let it be known. It's done all the time, and is a lot better for everyone.

Old 05-03-2013, 14:32   #162
Mrs. VR
Administrator

We've had several tell us that they've requested mom. It's very nice.

90/9/1

Old 05-04-2013, 02:09   #163
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Again, for the most part, everyone has been wonderful. I can't say enough about the nursing staff in general. They are amazing, and I have no idea how they do this everyday. We did have an opportunity today to speak with the nurse manager. She came in to introduce herself, etc and spent probably 20 minutes with us. We were able to address our specific concerns as well as to give lots of individual kudos.

They did her bone marrow biopsy and once again I manged not to faint ( although ill never look at a corkscrew or turkey baster the same again) and mom is a damn hero.
Hope the issue is resolved for you all.

When will you get the biopsy results back? I had steroid injections in both knees today, and was totally scared to death of that big needle going into my knee. I don't think I could have gone through what your Mom just did without being sedated. She's a tough lady, that's for sure.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-04-2013, 19:08   #164
Mrs. VR
Administrator

I think if she had had to LOOK it might have been different, but maybe not, she doesn't like sedatives at all.

It will probably be Monday at least before we hear. If you are outpatient it takes like a week but inpatient is faster.

Today was ok. A friend of mine who I haven't seen I person for at least 20 years, came and sat with her and dad this morning. Earlier in the week, Hippiechick came and spent the day when I had to be elsewhere. I'm humbled by the kindness of others.

90/9/1

Old 05-05-2013, 00:54   #165
Mrs. VR
Administrator

And here we are at the third visit since 11...

90/9/1

Old 05-05-2013, 01:45   #166
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Once spent 3 months in traction after a motorcycle accident. To visit someone in the hospital is a true show of caring. From the patients point of view, after a while you feel like you're supposed to entertain your visitors. I used to work out a signal between nurse/patient when it was time to scoot the visitors out. A short visit, "what's new and can I get you anything" becomes a lot easier on the patient. Talk to mom about this. You can always tell people visiting is limited to 10 minutes so mom can rest, or create your own boundaries to help mom. Just a thought.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:36   #167
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Oh no, this was nurses. They decided to hang platelets. Tgāt requires multiple visitation ( telling you, premedicating, matching the bags by sounding off, etc) then all the regular bag changes, dosing, etc each time machines are booping and beeping and shrieking.

Seriously, I lost count but they had to have been in 8-9 times.

On the plus side, I expect my son woll be a lot more understanding of how tired I am these days.

Gonna try to snooze a little.

90/9/1

Old 05-05-2013, 06:59   #168
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Ps- I see the phone autocorrect errors. Too tired to go back and fix now.

90/9/1

Old 05-05-2013, 10:37   #169
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Ok, you know I'm happy about this because I'm in here,no sleep, no makeup, hair a disaster, squinting myself into a Klingon forehead AND I DONT EVEN CARE!!

The Okie Corral

First time outside in 15 days!!!

90/9/1

Old 05-05-2013, 10:48   #170
Sneegrl

There's nothing like fresh air and some sunshine to boost your spirit! I'm glad you got to take a little stroll with your mom outside.

Still sending prayers for your mom!
Sneegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:44   #171
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Great pic! All those IV bags, was wondering which one was Tequila? Couldn't make out a worm in any, but it is Cinco de Mayo!

Last edited by Paul53; 05-05-2013 at 11:46..
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46   #172
Mrs. VR
Administrator

The real shock is no one approached us and asked to buy any of it! We ARE in inner city Baltimore!

90/9/1

Old 05-05-2013, 13:13   #173
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
The real shock is no one approached us and asked to buy any of it! We ARE in inner city Baltimore!
So that's how much you two wanted to go to Hammerjacks, that you just packed up and went?
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 13:45   #174
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
So that's how much you two wanted to go to Hammerjacks, that you just packed up and went?
Hammerjacks..ha! Showing our age. Been gone since the 90's I think. Ill never forget though, we had just hotter our first car phones ( in the bag, they only worked plugged in to car) and got lost on the way to VR's house on W. Lombard. I ended up somewhere near hj's. VR told me how to get out and gently suggested that if I came to any red lifhts I should run them and HOPE I got pulled over.

90/9/1

Old 05-06-2013, 00:04   #175
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Ok, you know I'm happy about this because I'm in here,no sleep, no makeup, hair a disaster, squinting myself into a Klingon forehead AND I DONT EVEN CARE!!

The Okie Corral

First time outside in 15 days!!!
That IV rack is all too familiar.

And I think that's a great pic of you both. Glad she was able to go out and enjoy a nice day.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE